ABC hopes 'The Chew' can win over daytime viewers

• Members

IF that were the case how come OLTL didn't go up the minute RH showed up. It was a good 6 weeks to 2 months after he showed up on screen that things improved drastically. Its been the story period.

As for The Chew I found myself originally intrigued not excited but like the non stop promos for The Lying Game everywhere, its been a total turnoff. And its not because of being a soap viewer its because its just too much.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I haven't been in the weekly OLTL circle jerk ratings thread for a while so I was wondering who or what was getting the credit for the ratings "surge."

Whatever. It's not like it matters anymore. I just keep thinking about the fairy tale that ABC was holding on to OLTL in case the new shows fail. If that were true AND if RH were being given credit for the ratings, that would've been a jackpot for him.laugh.png

• Members

Word. I admit my huge biase against The Chew--but really it looks even more of a mess, a cheap looking mess, than I could have imagined. The article here about how it's focused on tips that "Martha Stewart would have learned in kindergarten" just adds to that. I agree with Carl, it merely seems liek a stop gap ABC has rushed out--although they had more time to actually make it at least look half decent.

Oh come on. There's basically NO way the shows won't premier under PP. Whether they last is of course a fair point to argue, even if I think there'll be some success.

• Members

The initial promos I saw for The Chew seemed quite promising, but this show looks worse whenever more info is realeased to the public. (As an aside, one of the dumbest promos I've ever seen was when Clinton Kelly sang "Only on ABC Daytime.") However, I think the fair thing to do is to watch some episodes (or at least a parts of them) before rendering a final verdict that this show sucks. (That is what I did with Passions; in contrast to what some of JER's most rabid supporters believed, I did not hate Passions before/upon arrival, despite the fact that it replaced my beloved AW.)

Showing those endless Chew promos during AMC is extremely obnoxious and offensive to its fans. However, it is hardly a first in daytime: fans of Capitol, AW, and ATWT all had constant promos of B&B, Passions, and The Talk, respectively, shoved down their throats. I honestly question the business wisdom of doing this, because--with the exception of B&B/Capitol--those replacement shows were aimed at an entirely different audience than that of their predecessors. If anything, all those constant promos accomplishe(d) are/were to make viewers of those cancelled shows even more pissed off at the network.

Archived