ABC hopes 'The Chew' can win over daytime viewers

• Members

Really? No one cares? I can easily say the same thing about soaps, this little hothouse not withstanding. You need look no farther than the Daytime Emmys for an example of no one caring. When even the Tony Awards do better than a TV awards show, that's apathy.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Exactly. I think The Talk could generate a quarter of the audience ATWT had at the end and still turn a profit. These soaps, even at their reduced budgets, still are costing I am sure upwards of $1 million per week to produce.

• Members

That's the problem. This wasn't supposed to get the same buzz level as a soap, a genre that has basically been ignored by most people for a decade. This was supposed to be something new and fresh and amazing - and the constant turnover and involvement of major CBS players suggests it's not something that can be thrown together cheaply like LMAD. If it gets no buzz and a minimal ratings increase from long forgotten ATWT, then that's not any success, IMO.

With Julie Chen's salary, having to buy people out of their contracts or make deals with them, hiring new people, etc. I think it's going to cost more than the usual talk show or panel show.

• Members

The early hype from CBS was that this was going to be about mothers, talk about mothers, that this was something people hadn't seen. I think this was the main thrust of their press tour, which got a bit of sneering from places like NPR. Only after that didn't really take off did they start to transition to become just a regular panel show.

• Members

The returns never were gonna do anything for the ratings, to be honest. When was the last time a "big return" really propelled a show upward? The people in charge at PP need to throw out the old 1985 team playbook and get a new one. I just hope someone in charge gets that and goes radical.

I couldn't care less about the OLTL ratings, but this:

is "music, sweet music."

I don't care if it costs tree-fitty to make The Talk. It can rake in all the profit in the world, but it's among the least watched shows on network daytime. I enjoy this because it proves my point that network daytime is a ghetto.

• Members

Of course there are disgruntles soap ABC soap fans, I think all soap fans are disgruntled however I do believe that The Chew warrants criticism for th ir product regardless if you are a soap fan or not. I love watching cooking shows that are interesting and innovative but The Chew looks anything but that.

I also believe that AMC and OLTL online will fail miserably, that if, if they ever actually make it online which I have my doubts about.

• Members

Well, yeah, Todd's return has helped OLTL in the ratings, so that's something go with, but will they be able to sustain it? Or, I guess, the question is, would they have been able to sustain had they not received the cancellation notice? I can't say whether they would have or would not have, but even if they did, the success rate of big returns is so, so low. AMC really bombed big time because they have all this dead soap press and they went for characters who were supposed to make an impact, but it's all blown up in their faces (and left us with an embarrassing story to end the TV run with).

Still, though, my big thing is that things have to change. In HUGE ways, too. They're putting out these shows in the exact same way they were putting them out 30 years ago, while the rest of the television (most of everything outside the ghetto) has moved on up and changed over time to find an audience. No one at ABC ever thought in the last ten years that maybe trying these shows, no matter how much they sucked, in a different part of the day might help? It's ridiculous that the soaps never got as much as a marathon on ABC Family back before they found success with their current format. ABC has done nothing to make these shows successful.

• Members

I don't believe that soaps are seen as this dead creature you have to stay away from. I think people just don't care. That means if someone does come along and makes positive changes, then that could revitalize them. Or they could continue to be ignored. Either way I think the opportunity is there and doesn't equal automatic failure.

• Members

They're because of the two Todds story, for certain. I don't think that's up for debate at this point. We'll see if OLTL can hold that momentum with Victor unfortunately dead.

The Chew is doomed to failure. I'm just glad these soaps are getting what appears to be a better home and future. Network television is dying anyway.

• Members

LOL at 220 episodes of the Spew. Somebody is really going to sit and watch 220 episodes of that trash? ABC is seriously milking it for all its worth with their 45 second commercials they air every half hour. I'm just crossing my fingers that it ends up as a colossal bomb for the network.

Archived