ABC hopes 'The Chew' can win over daytime viewers

• Members

Maybe, but I don't see how that invalidates our opinions on how god awful cheap The Chew looks, although Let's Make a Deal is far worse, imo. That said, the soaps been looking cheaper for the last 10 years or so because daytime on the whole is dying and the networks stopped investing. They simply do not care.

There was a time not all that long ago people could have called soaps a lot of things, but "cheap" looking wasn't one of them. If you look at some of the sets, clothes and props from back then, they were nothing short of opulent. Then soaps were gutted and started looking cheap. The ABC soaps actually managed to go out looking somewhat decent, but what was done to the P&G soaps at the end was downright shameful. B&B still looks pretty good, but then a lot if it is filmed in the Bell's Hollywood mansion. Thank God.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

OH I don't say the show is going to be a trainwreck but I am not seeing it as a show about good nutrition buy maybe I am wrong.

I also don't think the promos are as terrible as everyone here seems to think they are. In fact the first promo they did months back I thought was actually pretty good.

And I don't hate the show. How could I I have never watched it. But I also think they are saturating the airwaves way too much with their promotions to the point where its become offputting.

• Members

I can't remember the first promos - they may have been good. All I remember is the more recent promos which have people speaking awkwardly to the camera (poor Clinton Kelly - he ends up looking like a public access host), ending in that really bad shot of the cast sitting down to eat in front of a very obvious green screen. I think it's a bizarre and rambling commercial.

This may look as cheap as soaps, but this is something that is supposed to be better than soaps, supposed to be fresh and new and wonderful. If it just looks similar to, or worse than, something that ABC deems unworthy, then what's the point of even putting it on the air?

• Members

I thought the very first promo was decent. Anything after that they might have done I honestly don't recall. I don't think these promos are necessarily bad I just think they arent that compelling which is surprising because ABC despite the crap quality normally does really good promos. The thing I find offensive is that they run them at least 2 times an hour and its gotten to be annoying. BUt then ABC ran that stupid Lying Game promo nonstop that turned me off to that too.

Archived