ABC hopes 'The Chew' can win over daytime viewers

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yes, but these shows are being sold as an experience. They're supposed to help fat and stupid people, according to Frons (paraphrasing). That type of help won't come with casual viewing.

These shows are being sold as anything and everything. They're going to change America. Wait, they're just a way for someone to watch for ten minutes before they go do something that's actually important. No, wait, they exist solely because their name is similar to "The View." No, wait, they're not just chop and chat, they're meaningful and unique.

They have done a terrible job actually explaining what this show is and why anyone should watch.

That's also part of the reason why The Talk has been a disappointment. These shows can't give anyone a valid reason to be interested, and often the spin for them is, "They're cheap." So is a test pattern.

• Members

Well said (and I'm sure there's a joke in there about Frons being the first person who should watch this show, if they are about helping "fat and stupid" people). All we hear is what the show ISN'T. It's not a show people have to waste an hour of their day watching, etc, etc. What seems to be missing is they don't realize that in this era people actually tend to want escapism MORE than they have in a long while. You can get health and food tips at the click of a button, and while shows liek Dr Oz and The Doctors are doing reasonably well, their ratings are falling too--as did Oprah's in her final years. And at least those shows had a clear concept.

• Members

I'm not getting any of that from the promos and truthfully I don't need anyone explaining to me why I should watch a show, I think I can determine that on my own.

I thought "The Chew" was a talk show about food to not only teach preparation but explain why it is good for you, I could be wrong. I for one think that a show like this is something that could be good there is alot of people out there who needs some education on nutrition. I don't know if this is the show for that but the idea is in the right place, I don't think it is about fat, stupid people but the reality is that America is a nation of overweight people and our children are suffering because of this.

casual viewer or dedicated watcher the viewer can get the same experience if it helps them out with their eating choices, I don't get the criticism for this type of show. I welcome a show that I can watch one episode on healthy lunches for my nieces and nephews my sister always sends them to school with a hero sandwich.

• Members

Aren't there a dozen shows that talk about healthy lunches?

People can take what they wish from a show. I was talking mostly about the promotion, which has been anything and everything, and often focuses on, as Eric said, what the show isn't, or what the show wants to imitate, not what they want people to get from the show.

Frons basically made it sound like this show was a wake-up call for fat and stupid people. But that type of attitude isn't going to go anywhere, not to mention that the media is already full of this type of simplistic talk (I remember some criticism of Oprah's shows a few years ago where she tried to tell black women that they just needed to stop eating such good food from church).

• Members

I dont watch the Food Network for the most part but I don't know if there are any shows that focus on a healthy lifestyle which includes nutrition and healthy lifestyle choices, not the same tired weightloss Biggest Loser crap. God knows there are a zillion books about it. I don;t know that I would mind a show like that but I also dont think thats what The Chew is about. I get the sense its like Rachel Ray + bargain basement Martha Stewart. And I would not consider Rachel Ray a show about healthy cooking and nutrition or Martha Stewart a show about Healthy Lifestyle choices.

• Members

It's not that I'm trying to be cynical about the idea of healthy eating, it's just that I think healthy eating usually has a very different meaning for a lot of these media personality chefs. They slather everything and then figure it's OK because they criticize Paula Deen.

• Members

lol I get that. Maybe I am wrong but nothing in the promos scream nutrition, healthy eating, healthy meal planning.With the current diets most of the population , giving folks some insight into how to plan and eat better, where to shop for it(inexpensively), what snacks you can feed your kids that are tasty and easy to prepare,etc. I think would be a great idea but as I said I dont this this show is about any of this and I am not even sure that would be a 5 day a week, 52 week a year show regardless.

• Members

Exactly. Despite the press releases, I don't see anything in the promos that focus on nutrition. Certainly Mario's cooking doesn't whatsoever.

And all this crap is coming from the mouth of a man who, for all intents and purposes, called Kathy Brier fat (who I'd wager, particularly given the fact she was starring in a Broadway show and doing a daily soap for a year, is as healthy as they come), and continued to hier thin, preferably, blonde actresses regardless of talent. Sure, it's a bigger issue than that, but I think showing healthy people on TV would do more for the greater good than The Chew will, if that's what it's about.

• Members

Maybe I'm watching a different promo or maybe I'm just not as critical of the show as others because I saw some fruits and vegetables along with some raw meats so that can fit into the how to plan and eat, how to shop catagory. I'm just not seeing this horrible train wreck of a show, it may not be to the liking of some/most on this site but it isn't the worst thing ever produced it.

Look I'm not arguing that this show is going to be a hit, or that it will be all about nutrition. From what I gather it has different hosts speaking on different topics all dealing with foods, I am sure they will touch on nutrition, food planning and healthy eating. This show like every other show has a fifty-fifty chance of failing or succeeding.

Archived