The Talk: Discussion Thread

Marco Dane

• Members

A monarchy is different than all of those filthy rich families because no member of those families is entitled to a government position by birth. A lot of Americans do object to those who are born with a silver spoon in their mouth, but a monarchy takes such a concept to an absolute extreme.

DaytimeFan, you're perfectly entitled to think that British culture and government are superior to what Americans have. But if you're the one who is going to dish out the criticism, then you really shouldn't get upset when some folks in America feel their ways are better, or aren't enthralled with British society. I personally don't love everything about America, but I feel very blessed to be one of its citizens. If the U.S. is such a backwards country, then there certainly wouldn't be scores of people wanting and waiting to move here.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Everyone ignored this (unfair!) but can someone tell me again if Aisha Tyler is supposed to be some sort of moderator? I have seen her a few times and she's so serious and dour. Didn't she used to be funny? I think it's probably a good thing her talk show never happened.

• Members

Two things,

1) The monarchy is NOT the UK government and no one in the Royal Family is part of the government. As I said there are 3 parts to the UK constitution: Sovereign, Government and Judiciary.

2) You have not answered to a single point I have made. That's fine, it's a long winded argument that ultimately will get neither of us anywhere, however, it also demonstrates that there isn't a credible counter argument to be made other than to throw your hands up and chalk up how you "feel" and how "upset" I appear to be and how many are "wanting and waiting to move" to the United States.

This is obviously the end of the road in terms of this discussion because there's nothing left to discuss. I've made my case and I stand by it.

• Members

One thing I love about living in america is the unadulterated freedom (for the most part) but I DETEST the lack of a real safety net, and the propaganda that is perpetuated about history, and about the rest of the world (especially Canada and the UK's medical system) Also, the hubris and superiority attitude of many in the US grates on my nerves to no end. However, I have to say, you only get that unadulterated freedom in the US if you live in an unincorporated rural area like I do. But if you live in a town or city, then you are saddled with city ordinances, and of course, those HORRENDOUS Home owners association regulations. And I also detest the hypocrisy of the Republican party, who claims to be for getting government out of people's private business... yet totally support legislating morality and those restrictive Home owner's associations. A good example... I saw a house in Kansas City that I LOVED the color of, and stopped and asked the owner what paint she used. She told me that she had to fight TOOTH AND NAIL with the HOA to paint her house that color, she had to involve her attorney and everything. And here is a picture of my house... painted that very same color. See the ridiculousness of HOA's? As if anyone with eyes would consider this color detrimental to property values:

house.jpg

• Members

She hosted Talk Soup after, I believe, Greg Kinnear. She's had mild success since then. She had an arc on the last season of Friends, which I think wasn't too well received. Recently she's done more politically commentating (she was a frequent guest on Larry King Live over its last year or so on the air). She used to be a regular guest on Stephanie Miller's progressive radio show, which she was fabulous on.

I think she's pretty funny and smart. Certainly an improvement from Leah Remini.

• 5 months later...

Archived