DAYS: July Discussion Thread

• Members

Oh, it certainly is an opinion, and I wouldn't claim otherwise. I personally feel that Tamara Braun is a stronger actress than Livingston, and for me, her portrayal of Taylor is stronger, but the writing is so wretched that I'm not sure Meryl Streep would stand a chance. The character's actions and attitude are in direct opposition to what every other character seems to think or say about her. I honestly don't think Arianne Zuker or Susan Flannery or Beverly McKinsey could make this incarnation of Taylor work, because there's such an absurd divide between what she's doing and what we're apparently supposed to think of her.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think we are supposed to think whatever we think. She's a [!@#$%^&*] idiot, lets not beat around the bush. And I don't know that the writing is why Taylor is so annoying. Natalia Livingston played Taylor also, and while her Taylor was no Einstein, at least she had a sweet quality to her. Sweet and Likable are two things not in Tamara Braun's arsenel. Hemingway and Fitzgerald could not write scripts that would make a Tamara Braun character come off as likable.

• Members

There was definitely a shift in the writing around the time of the recast, though. NL's Taylor spent most of her time resisting EJ's "charms" and feeling guilty and putting Nicole's feelings above her own, even if there was a certain selfishness underneath it. At almost the exact same time as the recast, though, Taylor went from resisting EJ to flat-out lusting after him, kissing him in the house he shared with Nicole, justifying their Great Love, carrying on and on about how EJ and Nicole's marriage "wasn't real anyway," etc. I do agree that NL's Taylor came off more naive than entitled, and NL's persona is definitely more suited to that.

However, I don't know if it was the chicken or the egg that came first -- that is, whether they wanted to make a shift in the writing and felt a recast was necessary, or if they recast because they felt NL wasn't working and just started writing Taylor as more of a stock Tamara Braun character -- but there was definitely a shift right around Fay's funeral. Until very recently, I think Higley & Co. expected us to buy this as some sort of legitimate love story.

Anyway, the difference between the portrayers and their versions of the character are purely my opinion, and I wouldn't presume to try and change anyone's mind about that (nor is anyone likely to change mine), so no need to repeat myself over and over. Just my two cents on the subject.

• Members

lets be real here, nobody denied the writing was awful when NL was in the role. Nobody claimed otherwise or ignored it. NL got panned because she is an awful actress and in this role she moaned, panted, and looked deranged when trying to look sexy. It was all around awful.

I dint think Tamara is awful, i think the role is. Its litterally a case where they could pull in the most amazing actress in the world, and nobody could pull it off.

Exactly.

• Members

Nicole: My sister is not dumb"

2dv0fnn.jpg

Hope was reinstated temporarily? When the heck did that happen? Does Bo even have the authority to deputize his wife?

Loving the A/J and Maggie scenes

Reese was not a bitchy and entitled character. She was nothing like Carly or her Taylor

• Members

I agree- Adrienne and Justin with Maggie was awesome. Really well performed and touching. Maggie tearing up when talking about Sonny was a nice touch. She was really I think worried about what Sonny would have to face in his life. She remembered that sweet little boy and loved him and was saddened not because he was gay, but because she knew his life would have a lot of hardships coming up just being who he is. And I am really loving Judi Evans and Wally Kurth back on Days. They were really missed.

Archived