Stories that aren't as bad as they're made out to be

• Members

Wow! I can see how much time you put into this, and I must say that I read this several times. I wish I had the ability to analyze an entire story with such depth and so many different insights. I feel like I saw the story, even though I never have.

I hope you can post in the DAYS history thread too - I'd love to hear more of your thoughts on the characters (do you think Kim was weakened by Patsy Pease having to leave so often or was she already damaged before Patsy started leaving). It seems like the early 90's were such a strange time for DAYS.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I actually started writing the background posts on Shane and Kim because I had some friends who were trying to read the fanfic on the blog, but didn't know the characters. I wrote the stuff about the Shayla storyline because every time I tried to discuss my thoughts on another message board, I got warnings, and I suspected some readers would not be happy with how I had Shane think about Kayla in the fanfic. But it's been fun rewatching the Shane/Kim storylines and discussing (or perhaps, over-analyzing is a better word) them.

Where is that thread? Not to threadjack, but for Kim, I definitely think her departures wreaked havoc on the Kim and Shane storylines, particularly in 1990. But I think Kim was weakened much earlier. I always felt that the writers had no real idea what to do with Kim after she had Andrew. She was never really the action heroine like Hope, Kayla and Steve were busy doing the "on the run" storylines, and building Kim up in her career would have made her Marlena-lite. So she got stuck in Salem and, because there was little they did with her independently, they had to keep Shane in Salem most of the time and toss in characters like Eve, Gabrielle, and Adam to cause havoc. I guess it's not surprising that my favorite Kim/Shane storylines after 1986 were the Stefano's Island s/l in 1988 and the late 1989 storyline beginning with the Jericho mission through the first half of the amnesia storyline (which is where I think Pasty's impending leave forced a change in the storyline).

• Members

I was honestly just coming in here to post about this storyline.

I loved it. I had watched Guiding Light for a few years before this story but had no real attachment or investment. I get that this story is so hated because it ruined/didnt go with character history at all for a huge portion of the canvas, and i can understand that. However, from a stand alone story angle this story was perfect. The issue of course is soap operas are not about stand alone stories...

The Marah/Marina/Michelle friendship had been established, so that was a nice lead in. The girls' fathers and their issues with eachother was great to play up as well. the haunting, tricks, and games that kicked the story off was fun to watch. I loved the sets too. But as it went on you realized this was something serious and not someone messing around with them. Then they met Maryanne, and heard the story, and it caused so much tension in a ton of relationships across the canvas. Great stuff to watch.

The climax was perfect. That creepy ass funhouse in the hall of mirrors. I loved them getting Marina/Michelle out and Marah being left behind. And then the shooting and Marah killing her but Josh taking the blame and how that tied in marah/jeffrey (whom is my fave GL couple; haters to the left please!).

I wish this was all on youtube but only the danny/michelle edits are, and she was the one i cared about the least.

• Members

I'm sorry, I thought that story was a piece of [!@#$%^&*].

The timeline and the character's histories never remotely matched up, so Weston just made it all up even though we knew damn well where those men were and in many cases, they were on the canvas at the time given for the original incident! In major stories! They also were never best buddies, and the entire thing was a shitty ripoff of the Peter Straub book and film Ghost Story, except without Fred Astaire, John Houseman, or the full frontal nudity of Craig Wasson and Alice Krige.

It would've flew on DAYS, maybe. Not GL and it helped destroy that show.

• Members

Im so with you. John & Hope was actually one of the few times i liked either character.

and Stefano so should have been the dad. making it Bo was so stupid.

Actually, they explained both of these things, and I only know this because i ended up watching some of early brady stuff. Brady felt that him being sent away to school was due to Marlena not wanting a reminder of Johns time with Isabella (well thats what he claimed anyways). It seems actually that marlena didnt raise him and most of his late childhood/teens he was sent away.

John did hate Maggie because of Brady. Because Maggie was always butting into his life and John felt it was non of her business. then she turned out to be correct about his addictions and John just never let go of it. Def laid the groundwork but they never followed up/re-explained the reasonings.

• Members

I remember when Reilly and his following writers was planning to actually make a go of it with Roman/Marlena, Bo/Billie II and John/Hope, ugh. John and Hope was always so weird to me. They danced around it for years but never really went there.

• Members

The biggest issue with the pairings is the chemistry just was not there. I would have loved it though because I always hated on days that you knew the supercouples would be together and happy because they were the supercouples. So to shake up bo/hope and john/marlena at the same time would have been interesting.

John/Hope seemes to have been hinted at, though of, and tested for years before the kind of went there without ever having to go there. Bo/Billie's biggest issue is that it only ever really worked with RKK/LR. Those two were dynamic together, and the show was very different when they took off. And Roman/Marlena, wll Josh taylor is the issue there.

Speaking of days, the nicole/colin/jen/brandon/sami/jack story is one that i loved that a lot of people seem to hate. Seeing those characters mix it up and date around was fun. I loved it when they all went to the lodge! I actaully really liked Colin murphey in general.

• Members

I couldn't really stand Krista Allen as Billie, it was a different character. And of course Lisa had all sorts of issues when she came back. Julie Pinson was a decent substitute but the stories were so demeaning and nothing they did with Billie has ever compared to her run in the '90s. I loved Bo and Billie then, and was pissed when she left and Bo and Hope reunited, though I liked Hope at that time.

Bo and Carly were also hot in their day, but CC has grown lethargic and mannered and her return story was mostly a mess hampered by the likes of Daniel. That could have been so much better. The problem is the show has never invested seriously in Hope with another potential man, and frankly the Reilly-esque stories they've given Kristian Alfonso have made Hope as much of a sort of sexless 'freak' character as Marlena became. You stop thinking of them as a heroine and more as a crazy gimmick - what will she do next? It becomes impossible to relate to, and her weight issues frankly do not help. But they could do more with Bo and Hope with other people - the right people - they just didn't, not when Carly came back, not now.

And Jack and Jenn, forget it, no men have worked with her since the early '90s save Billy Warlock and Jason Brooks. Because Jack is always ruined in the stories, Jack and Jennifer are never given a fair shake, and when they do try to split them up the stories are pathetic. In order to split them you must first give them a chance, give them real story, then introduce people who are viable rivals.

• Members

I will forever love that Bo chose Billie over Hope, and Billie walked away. A fact the show, and fans, like to forget.

Bo & Carly worked amazing the first time and I do feel it was there when she first returned. Bringing her back the way they did really worked, esp with Bo/Hope so totally broken. The issue is they moved it too fast and made it too much into a triangle. It should have gone slower with Bo/carly staying just friends, Bo wanting Hope back, Hope unable to get over her issues and back with Bo, and Hope jealous of Carly living with Bo but also feeling for her as she learns what all carly has had to deal with. jennifer the the biggest missing piece in this story, with shawn being a close second. Both of them needed to return for this. Then suddenly everyone in town hated Carly and she was melanies mom and Hope didnt want bo but didnt want carly to have him either and it all went to hell.

I hate Hope. I almost always have and will, and it is because she is nothing and nobody. Her only idenity is being Bo Brady's wife and Jen Hortons cousin, IMHO. They have never invested her as a character and done anything with her, as Hope. Only with her as Gina (whom i loved).

Jack and Jenn, another couple i just totally hate. You are spot on about them. The best, and only way, to really make a real threat to them and move them on is to totally ruin them from the inside. Not an affair or anything stupid like that. Somethine that just totally shook them at their core as a couple and made it hard for them to ever get back together and move on. After that has been done, introduce people for them. So it slowly, carefully, and play their pain. Ya know, like a soap opera should do but does not do.

• Members

I've enjoyed some of the clips I've seen of the "Nighttime Hope" story, and I enjoyed KA's performance in those. But I did not watch the story regularly - so I might just be going based on well-edited fanvids and a few clips. How was the story in day to day terms?

• Members

Oh god no. It was awful!! Hope waltzing around Salem like a fool by night, high off Ambien & mugging all of Salem's men was not entertaining or interesting to me. It was just bad! I to enjoyed Kristian's performance (she did really good), but there was nothing good about this S/L to me besides that, except maybe the ending.

The worst thing about it had to be the theme song, dubbed "Nighttime Hope's Theme". Omg.

http://www.dbrentnelson.com/media/6772.mp3

Archived