Stories that aren't as bad as they're made out to be

• Members

The thing is, Kristian Alfonso has been doing variations on this [!@#$%^&*] for years on the show as they tried to groom her into becoming "Crazy Marlena Jr." - the next wild-ass bitch who can do anything and still be a major heroine, as opposed to Sami who always kept her sanity while scheming. With Hope it's always Nyquil doing it to her, or mind control, or microchips or whatever. And the other problem is that I frankly think that in doing the sort of "evil Hope" stories they are playing to Alfonso's latter-day strengths. She projects a cold, brittle, dark energy which works very well in even the most ridiculous [!@#$%^&*] they throw at her, but I very, very rarely ever buy Hope as a loving wife or mother or as a normal heroine. She's gone way past Bo, who seems too ordinary for her now.

I've also simply never been able to believe Hope is a cop. She makes the sometimes questionable cops on AMC or OLTL look like veterans from The Wire. What I would do is go in a harder, more realistic direction with that - play down her glamour, dress her more like a cop, and cut her hair. Back to something pretty short, like the real Princess Gina, although God, not that color. Because real women cops do not dress or act like Hope. And then I'd bring in another character, a transfer to the force, for her.

I do like Jack and Jennifer, a lot. The problem is DAYS does not know how to write for them or for Jack. They lost writers who could explore that kind of complexity and shading of the two characters and their interplay almost twenty years ago. But I absolutely would keep them together, do stories with them, and then eventually play a quad.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't think so at all. I think she portrayed a very soft, maternal role to Shawn-Douglas back in the mid-90's. As for her hard edge, that works precisely well for her role as a tough cop. And cut her hair? As if! :)

As for Crazy Marlena Jr., well that's the way of the writers giving a new edge to an otherwise angelic character. Hence, the computer chips and devil possessions, but no jailtime cuz they were under the influence of a dark evil force.

• Members

Lumina (ANOTHER WORLD) made about as much sense as a U.S. Congressman "sexting" underaged girls, but it also was the first time AW's cast actually gave a damn, performance-wise, in quite a while, know what I'm sayin'?

• Members

One storyline I thought was really well done on Days was the Gemini Twins mystery. It was when I started watching full time, with Tony returning and the blue key and the twins landing and everyone thinking did Days REALLY go there with aliens, but it turned out they were Marlena/Tony's kids, then they weren't, etc. I thought the twists and turns and Tony's catatonia and the mixing of Sami and Lucas in with the DiMeras was a really, really fun to watch.

Of course, then Brash/Cwikly got replaced by Higley and it all went to crap.

Archived