DAYS: Supercouple Returns

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Awful news. The show should just bring on patch/kayala, john/mar, carrie/austin, pair sami with EJ, reunite jack & jennm bring on shane & kim and send them all on crazy adventures through the backlot. It will be like Super Couple Adventure heaven. Screw characters, friendships, family. All that matters is the SUPER COUPLES.

I would be Happy if this was Marlena alone

• Members

It is backtracking to go back to Jen and Jack. Those two are awful. The difference is, they arent bad actors (well the material did MA no favors here, but he was great on OLTL). With that said, the Jen/Jack stuff is the same nonsense as usual and its a big mistake bringing him back as well. I really didnt think she needed to come back full time either

that nonsense and Days refusal to move forward and stay in the past with the 80s super couple mentality that nearly ruined it. It fear of the thought of them going back to that

• Members

God. Could John & Marlena (and jack & Jennifer) be any more over? I haven't thought about these two stuporcouples since the day they left Salem. The fact that they are coming back signals to me that the writing team have truly run out of SL material. This news has me scared. I cannot face yet another plot about John's brain-chipped past. I cannot deal with his mouthbreathing and pinched face lift and Marlena going "Oh oh OH OHHHHHHH. Johhhhhhhhnnnnnnnnnn. OHHHHHHHHH."

Don't get me wrong, I like DH x 2. But their time is over. Days got watchable when they cleared the show up and started refocusing on the Kiriakises, DiMeras and Hortons.

• Administrator

Sounds better than what we have now!!! The last 2 years have sucked big time

Looking back, I'm glad John/Marlena were written out - God knows what Dena Higley would've done to them. A bullet was dodged there.

• Members

im glad they left too cause i couldnt bare to watch them once a month under higley's terror...i hope they did break up off screen and return one at a time and that way maybe Marlena will be hooked up with Bill Horton (its all i want) lol I wonder if John Marlena Carrie Austin and Lucas are the ones returning??

• Members

In principle, I agree with you. But I guess it really comes down to the quality of the SL's that the new writers come up with. If its endless triangles, sci-fi nonsense, and history rewrites then uggh. If they can inject some decent storylines into the show whilst retaining all the good elements of the last 2/3 years (and dumping the bad) then I'm for it.

I fear alot of this will be tossed for JER-esque dialogue, storylines and bad acting.

I like the DHs (I like Deidre without Drake even more) - but without a Kristin return, I don't see what these writers can do. I will happily eat my words if proven wrong.

Louise Sorel will be missed madly though.

• Members

I think DAYS could continue to survive and do well even without my beloved Marlena (oh, and John too) if they had better storylines and didn't focus on crappy newcomers and new families. Marlena & John just being onscreen isn't going to bump up the ratings. Story's gotta be there. I'm going to play the glad game and believe that the changes coming in August will be a good thing, both in storyline and character focus.

• Members

I'm not saying it's simple, but it makes it easier than if ED was on GH and wanted to come to DAYS. SONY owns both shows so that hurdle is one they are already over. If it's in the best interest of the company, it can and will be done. ED isn't doing much on Y&R, I'm sure she doesn't come cheap and if they decide they want to keep Genie Francis long term or work out a deal with MTS, this frees up a good chunk of money for them to do just that.

IMO, it is that simple.

It paid off- for about 8 months, when the show was telling a strong umbrella story (baby switch). Ever since that story ended, the ratings have trended downward and the influx of newbies has made things worse. Plus, characters that the fans don't know well enough to care about and characters that never caught on are all on the frontburner in craptastic storylines. Add in the fact that 2 more soaps just bit the dust and GH is likely about to come to an end as well and DAYS is in a MAJOR crisis as the lowest rated soap on the air.

Bringing back Drake & Deidre, undeniably the show's most popular couple, is just the shot in the arm DAYS needs right now. It can't hurt to try it- they may as well go for broke. What would be the point of not bringing them back, continuing what they're doing, and being cancelled in a year anyway? Makes no sense and I for one applaud the DAYS brass for being proactive right now.

Again, it doesn't matter and that's not the point I was making. Where did I say that they could just keep ED on the same contract and just transfer it over to DAYS? Like I said above, the fact that the same company owns both Y&R and DAYS takes away a MAJOR roadblock they would normally have in trying to get her back from another soap. If they work out a deal that is good for both Y&R and DAYS, then I think they'll go for it. Once again, if they want to free up money for Genie & MTS, this would be a good way to do that, as I'm sure Davidson doesn't come cheap.

I don't think she's a cool person- when I encountered her at an NBC fanfest at Universal Orlando years ago, she was pretty much a bitch. I asked her to take a quick picture as I saw her walking in the park toward her station. She refused, saying "You'll have to wait in my line!" which was a mile long and no way would I have made it up to see her if I waited. I've been to SSW numerous times and ran into both A Martinez and Susan Lucci walking in the park. Both were very kind and happily stopped to take a photo with me.

• Members

Tomlin and Corday made no bones about how getting rid of these two saved them from cancellation and from a financial disaster, and about how the show wasn't dependent on stars in order to survive. Whether anyone admits it or not, that's what basically happened.

IF DAYS focused on telling better stories again, they could just as easily rebound again.

I don't think those newbies are going anywhere anytime soon, especially with the budget DAYS operates on.

Because they never really had much of a proven impact on the ratings either way? DAYS proved with better storytelling, it could survive without them.

We still don't know how long they'll be back for or what their return story entails. I would be cautiously optimistic at this point, given how DAYS and other soaps have botched returns in the past decade.

I, for one, don't think these two have been gone long enough to make any type of substantial impact on the ratings or in the creative department of the show.

You're assuming Davidson wants to return. For whatever reason, she's loyal to the nutty Bell family, and they worked hard to keep her in their fold when Latham ousted her ass in 2006. I hate Y&R, but Davidson is a working actress, and she knows there's more stability for her there and Y&R will outlast DAYS in the long-run.

My point was, in terms of contracts, the Bell Dramatic Serial Company and Corday Production, both which operate independently of Sony, handle many of those responsibilities - not that contracts could be transferred from show to show.

My friend who visited the DAYS set in the 90's overheard her cussing out her assistant...

I meant more along the lines that Hall seems like a really articulate and forward-thinking person in interviews and she has many interesting things to say on a variety of issues.

• Members

You are completely ignoring the fact that they are on two different networks. NBC benefits by getting ED back, but CBS doesnt benefit anything. The production company cant just transfer stars like that across networks and I cant see CBS allowing it to go down like that

Archived