DAYS: Supercouple Returns

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I thought John and Marlena's most interesting stuff in years was when he came back as Undead, Bitchy Queen John and spent all his time [!@#$%^&*] Tamara Braun and cutting everyone in town's balls off. I thought Drake did that very, very well, and I thought they added an edge and danger to the character with the concept - poorly-executed though it was by Higley - of him taking over the family businesses and grappling with EJ, while also scandalizing Marlena and his loving family, and all the people in Salem who had come to know and trust John Black as America's Hero. I even thought it somewhat recharged his chemistry with Deidre Hall.

You could've played those two as starcrossed exes for years - John with this new persona and new lovers, Marlena with a new man or perhaps back with Northrop's Roman, but neither can resist the pull back to each other despite NuJohn's disdain for his old life. It would have worked - I say that and I [!@#$%^&*] hated John and Marlena for most of the last fifteen years. If they're to come back, I say revive that - say that John relapsed, is still in therapy to reconcile the two sides of himself, and that his reunion with Marlena didn't quite take. And then just play them off each other and others for the long-term. Have them forced back into each other's orbit, and hearts, perhaps by bonding over a mystery story where, say, Brady becomes the new "Pawn." That's the most exciting thing to do with them, IMO. Garden-variety, swoony John and Marlena, OTOH, had been a joke for years before they left. Just bad.

• Members

John, many could argue he's not necessary to the canvas, but Marlena? Not necessary to the canvas? Having her daughter take her place as a leading female, proved that Marlena was necessary to the canvas. You can't have all this sh!t happening to Marlena's family, and her remain M.I.A. for so long. Plus I think as a psychiatrist, she would have played an interesting part in the Night Hope storyline and in dealing with Hope's resentment towards Bo.

• Members

the only story i want to see is Kristen return plot to split them up split them up and then they get to find their way back together...either kristen recast or something thats what i want to see. i want Deidre Hall with Bill horton.

• Members

Sometimes you just can't go back. I love Marlena as a character always did and Days certainly needs a recharge none of these new characters have been able to do. The Dimera stuff I don't know just seems so played out at this point. At least for a while give it a rest. Maybe John's arrival can help drive some story for Brady. There is conflict there unresolved. Marlena as a supporting player to the canvas works. Both characters have enough ties to the show that they could interact with just about anyone I guess.

• Members

Hooray! Marlena returns!!!

I agree though that they need to be supporting roles, propping up their children's stories. "Old guard." I agree. They are familiar iconic DAYS faces, but they don't need to go the old damsel-in-distress route. Times have changes. They're old farts now. Production values are terrible. Keep it simple. No jungle mercenary John or demonic turbo-killer Marlena.

Yay, I love me some Deidre Hall... just PLEASE don't go crazy with any [more] cosmetic surgery as a last-minute panic before coming back to the small screen! :) (two words: heather locklear)

• Members

I disagree- both DAYS & Y&R are owned by SONY, so they easily could send her over to DAYS. Yes, Ashley finally has a story, but I'm sure it won't last long. I could totally see it happening- it saves Y&R some money and gives DAYS the money story they're looking for to boost ratings. It's Win-Win.

I agree on the story, but disagree on the recast. I think it's unnecessary, as I believe the show could easily get ED to return, for the reasons I listed above.

• Members

Its not that easy bc both soaps are on different networks. If it were that easy, then ATWT and AW would have had an easier time actually getting crossovers done while both were on the air since both were P&G owned. Being on different networks complicated and nixxed that idea. Its not quite as easy as you are making it out to be. Shuffling actors who are on contract is only easy when shuffling between soaps of the same network as CBS did with Lesli Kay (BB to ATWT), Eileen (Y&R to BB) for example or any of the ABC shuffles from a few years back

• Members

I am really happy they are back. There is a ton they could do with John and Marlena. When last seen he was Stefano's brother recovering from paralysis and now he can come back to resume the fight against the DiMeras. Plus, Marlena has her daughter entangled with these people and she can come in there and they can take the focus off Sami and EJ (sorry I was falling asleep as I typed those two names). They could be 90, and they are still better than Sami and EJ.

Archived