DAYS: Supercouple Returns

• Members

I never liked John and Marlena as a couple so I don't want to see more of that. I did enjoy John during the last year he was on the show when he was non-John so I wish there would be more of that John but I'm not counting on it.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I feel like this is really bad backtracking.

I thought the show made a bold decision when they let these two crap, overpaid, and overrated actors go. The decision paid off too, as ratings went up during that time, and no one can claim ratings have fallen in recent times because these two aren't on the show. Bottom like is DAYS doesn't need these characters to survive, its already proved that. Bringing them back reeks of desperation and admitting that the bold decision they made (that really had no impact on the show anyway) was all for nothing.

• Members

Hall and Hogestyn are two of the most retched popular daytime actors I've ever seen. If there's a reason why the general public and mainstream entertainment industry give soap actors a bad name, it's these two who helped craft that reputation. I will never understand their supposed popularity, nor do I want to.

Dee Hall seems to be cool as a person, but as an actress? Forget about it...

• Members

By the same token while no one can claim fell because of a lack of them, no one can claim ratings rose for the same lack of them either.

Why is it backtracking to bring back Marlena and John, but not backtracking to bring back Jennifer and Jack? Perhaps there is a story they have in mind for these two? Do we really need to watch tales of Nicole and EJ for yet another year?

• Members

In other words, either way, John and Marlena make no difference, so why bring them back when cutting them saved the show so much money to begin with?

And as of now this sounds like a short term engagement, so why even bother?

Jack and Jennifer were never billed as ultimate stars of this show, as John and Marlena often are. If anything, Jack and Jennifer played second fiddle to John and Marlena and Bo and Hope for years, and are nowhere near as overrated and overexposed.

The show initially got rid of Hall and Hogestyn to save itself from cancellation and budget woes, and they had no problem saying so openly to the press and going on about how the show wasn't built around famous faces to keep it alive. So, in my view, this is huge backtracking.

I agree, the show sucks, but that doesn't mean John and Marlena are the answer either. I just hope the writing is there for them...

• Members

I would, in DAYS case, think its their small budget, which these two were fired to save.

I don't know how much of a story they can tell in the summer, but I wish them luck. I hope the writing is there, or else they'll be fired and blamed for the writing (as Sorel and Chappell are).

Of course, I guess there is always room for an extension, but still, it only sounds like (for now) they're only back for a summer story. If that holds, it will be a great waste of money and time.

Other than that, their departure proved they had no impact on the ratings. DAYS proved that they could fire popular stars and survive, I feel like this dismantles that. If the show were better written, they wouldn't need this.

Corday Productions has a 1% stake, so in other words, nothing substantial.

I do know that a lot of the contracts at the show are though the Bell Dramatic Serial Company.

Archived