Is ABC Preparing to Cancel AMC and OLTL?

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Back in 1982, NBC aired the last episodes on the same day of two soaps: The Doctors and Texas. So this has a sick precedence. The idea of them both going at the same time makes it worse than losing one than the other within a few months or a year.

With Oprah going I wonder how the O&O stations will deal. Seriously though the ABC viewer base is younger than the one of the CBS PGP shows, and they may turn the television off for now.

• Members

I think a lot of people knew it was the end for SuBe too - they only had a six month extension all along and the show was poorly rated.

I can't remember the last time anyone was surprised by a soap cancellation. Probably Capitol.

I don't want the cast and crew to lose work or money but I kind of would rather see them both go at the same time than this sleight of hand crap no one buys.

• Members

I am getting real sick of these rumors. ABC should be out in front of all of this. These rumors keep coming and now from TV Guide. Something is up and I do beleive AMC and OLTL are done. My thing is, why not fire Frons after moving AMC to LA, if it didn't do well. It was a waste of money and that alone should have gotten him fried. And now he doen't even care about these shows any longer. I call it now DOOL is next. Once their current contract is done, it's a wrap esp with AMC and OLTL leaving Soaps are over. End of an era

• Members

I was one of those listing those reasons but they were in the context of: if ABC is canceling a soap: which one AMC or OLTL? I believed and still believe OLTL is the stronger soap, no one thought they would cancel two at the same time. I doubt they would cancel two at the same time and give one 6 months longer on the air than the other, they would go off the air the same day. A possibility would be ABC only announces AMC cancelation and OLTL lingers on with ABC's unannounced plans to get rid of it the end of the year, which would be your theory. I'd rather be the soap that gets the extra six months because even if its ABC's intentions to cancel, plans do change. Of course if ABC announces both are canceled: game over. Even for GH which is screwed royally, the affiliates will move GH to any damn timeslot they want without a soap block!

• Members

I tell ya'll (sorry, I'm a Kentuckian) If this happens I will not even bother watching GH anymore. Honestly, I'll probably not watch soaps at all. Never been too big on Y&R after Bell died. Never liked B&B, and never watched DAYS even when I watched AW as a child.

Unless, MEK, SuLu, Vincent, or Alicia ends up on one of those.

• Members

NBC privately told the affiliates SUBE would be off the air in Dec 1999 but didn't announce it until I believe late Sept/early Oct.

This is why affilites either dropped SUBE or moved it to a 2am timeslot in Sept 1999 when the tv season began as they knew NBC was

getting rid of it.

Archived