Is ABC Preparing to Cancel AMC and OLTL?

• Members

It's so hard to fathom AMC & OLTL as low-rated shows on the chopping block. In my mind, they were always these very successful, well-rated shows with an endless future ahead. I was never a huge ATWT fan, but felt the same way about that show when it was cancelled, just because it was always a popular legacy show. Just tough to think of them in comparison to the low-rated shows of the past that always seemed to be on the verge of cancellation like The Doctors, Guiding Light, and Another World. Sad.

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

GH will be gone in 2012 if AMC and OLTL are canceled, do you think those shows will end in Sept 2011 or Dec 2011, because what will they do about Soapnet? Also think of the soap magazines, probably only SOD will remain and without the other soaps, no Emmmys, no support they will all be done by 2013 at the very latest

• Members

Not so sure about that. If they can continue to pull decent demos and keep costs contained, they may linger on longer than that. Though as I mentioned before, who knows what the cancellation of its two lead-in soaps in most markets will do to it. That could totally ravage the show.

• Members

Honestly, GH has always been the crown jewel of ABC Daytime. When you thought of ABC Daytime you though, General Hospital. I think they can survive but they will lose some viewers. How many is the main question.

• Members

Its possible for a network to only have one soap successfully, NBC has done it with DAYS. Although DAYS has a 1pm EST timeslot,

early afternoon the affiliates wont mind a show with DAYS ratings and demos, now a 3pm EST timeslot is a different story, I believe

ABC affiliates would KILL for that 3pm timeslot, the later the afternoon, more viewers are home, so what makes ABC think affiliates

would keep GH at 3pm EST? ALSO maybe ABC wants the 3pm timeslot for their reality show? Afterall if they want the teen demos shouldnt they try to air it later in the afternoon as possible? So manybe ABC will screw GH out of their decades long 3pm timeslot, move GH to 1pm

against DAYS and Y&R/B&B? will GH lose viewers with a timeslot change? I suspect so. I predict either the affiliates or ABC moves GH's

timeslot and that will screw GH.

Guest dc cubs

Days is safe until September, 2013. That is when their contract with NBC is up. There is also a one year option after that but the specifics of it haven't been released. If Days can't pull it together ratings wise that option won't be picked up and it will very likely end in 2013.

Archived