Is ABC Preparing to Cancel AMC and OLTL?

• Members

For a number of years AMC was more highly regarded than GH - GH was near cancelation more than once. I would say AMC is probably as known as GH.

I don't think GH will lose that many viewers from this but the big problem is no one will make any changes that will stop GH from just slowly rotting away.

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't know DAYS' status with NBC, and I doubt anyone on here really does either as its not reported what NBC's desired ratings and demos for DAYS are. My point was NBC made a success of a one soap lineup due to a 1pm timeslot when affiliates will tolerate a lower rated network show. I doubt GH will stay in its current timeslot, that was my point.

• Members

I think we've entered a phase of soaps that's kind of like the game of Jenga. The more pieces they pull away, the more unstable it becomes. With each show that goes there are people who don't change shows, they just stop watching. Some do but most don't.

• Members

God I hope that JHC was being honest when she told the cast that the show was not being cancelled. Though I guess now there's some discrepancy as to whether that is what she said, or if it was that she just didn't know, and the people who tweeted like BE & RPG were just putting spin on her "I don't know" statement.

• Members

Not OLTL!!! :( I thought it was safe. GH will BLEED viewers if they do this, the ABC soaps have a bunch of crossover viewers unlike the Bell soaps with the P&G soaps. This will kill their daytime lineup. They need to do one at a time. Pull AMC this year, and OLTL in 2012.

I do have a question though, AMC and OLTL have been hitting ATWT/GL demos lately, but wouldn't ABC be making more money with those numbers then with CBS considering they own them 100%? It's very confusing to me.

• Members

This news does not surprise me in the least. I've been thinking for a very longtime now that Brian Frons would be trying to get rid of both AMC and OLTL. Soaps are not making the networks any money these days. Ever since ABC announced that they were getting rid of Soapnet to turn it into another children's Disney channel. I knew that the ABC soaps would not be long for this world. Definitely one or two ABC soaps will die this year. I really don't see AMC, OLTL, or GH being on air after 2012! I think they will all be off the air before the end of 2012 or much much sooner. The current network soaps are going the way of the dinosaur.

Game shows, talk shows, etc are much cheaper and will make the networks much more money.

• Members

I wonder if they will make that much more, especially if Frons has people who go overbudget the way JHC supposedly does. ABC seems to be a very poorly managed network and has been for some time.

I also wonder if they really make anything in the long run. I can't imagine CBS making much of anything off of the LMAD remake which they ignore at every turn.

• Members

True, but if you're going to have something on 5 days a week that is dirt cheap and crap quality, then it will still make minimal profit and ultimately do nothing for your daytime lineup. CBS Daytime has bled viewers since ATWT left, and I don't think that's because of ATWT's departure so much as little of quality being on there to make people care. I'm not saying The Talk is that bad - I think it's OK - but LMAD and the terrible Price is Right revamp, and just a lack of cohesion all around. It seems tired.

If it's about the cheapest profit then they should just show reruns of primetime shows. That would make more profit than Tori Spelling and husband.

• Members

Not sure if this was already posted somewhere else, or if it even means anything, but Lucci addressed the cancellation rumors on the Rachel Ray Show, saying essentially that they're unfounded rumors from a source other than ABC and that she just got her work schedule for next year. Go figure!

Had a link, but I deleted it since I realized it takes you to the USA Today homepage.

Archived