Is ABC Preparing to Cancel AMC and OLTL?

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well "better" in the sense the soap is still on the air and there is a possibility of a ratings gain and/or the new ABC programming

fails big time so ABC stays in the soap biz. So IF OLTL were to survive this rumor, even though ABC may have OLTL's final episode planned for lets say 2012, at least there is a possibility of something happening to keep it on longer, whereas once a soap is canceled

its over.

I'm going to throw this speculation out there: remember the rumor ABC was considering merging both AMC and OLTL. And many agreed it

was a bad idea cause it would seem like one soap was canceled and parts of the canceled soap would merge into the surviving one, maybe they know this and to get around that, they are threatening to cancel both so it appears both are "canceled" so when they announce a merged soap it would appear to be a better than nothing option for both soap fans and they get to merge AMC and OLTL. I don't think this is an option, although it would make sense to scare AMC and OLTL fans to think both soaps are history before announcing a merger if one were to happen.

• Members

ABC makes money from their soaps more than CBS or NBC because they outright own them. They don't have to share any and all money the soap makes with partners like P&G or Sony. They could keep the shows on the air for years more and still make money but it comes down to greed (they're not making as much as they used to from the soaps) and wanting to get out of the business. IMO, the networks are more than happy with the idea of a one soap daytime schedule. CBS & NBC are basically one soap networks now, putting the half hour soap aside.

If Michael Logan's story is accurate, I don't feel we're getting the full year apart cancellation which was a given had AMC got a cancellation this year or next EVEN had OLTL never come into the cancellation conversation in that time. I think it may be 4-6 months apart or possibly at the same time.

The demos are so weak for all the soaps besides Y&R that much any "creative" program can replace them at this point and have a chance of getting at least as much of the desired viewers. The extra benefit is that reality shows, game shows and talks shows would be much cheaper to produce.

• Members

I think if there's a cancellation notice for All My Children, it will come within the next two weeks. From her book tour schedule, it looks like La Lucci is back in LA the week of the 11th, so she'll probably spend some time taping and Brian Frons will grace the cast and crew with his presence. :ph34r:

• Members

I don't see them merging the shows. What would they call the show? Where would it take place? Who would write the show? Any merged show would undoubtedly be taped in LA, and would any OLTL signature vets even make the move? Honestly, it would be a logistical nightmare. If no one is watching the shows now, no one will watch a merged show. It's the soap genre that's dying, not AMC or OLTL specifically. I'd think they'd move some AMC or OLTL refugees to GH. Budig and Easton would probably top that short list. I mean they could easily move Easton's McBain to GH to take over the commissioner role and just fire John J. York, who's a glorified extra anyway.

• Members

Oh, I fully expect Frons to move Michael Easton to GH if Easton agrees. That will probably be the only OLTL hire. Maybe he'll play "Sean McBain," or Frons will order Natalie and Liam killed offscreen. By the Balkan.

Archived