Is ABC Preparing to Cancel AMC and OLTL?

• Members

I really like Susan. But, I just cannot believe her for some reason. I think that maybe only a handful of the stars would spill something about it. MEK, Kristen Alderson, Robin Strasser, or Erica Slezak would probably be honest about it. I'm thinking about just messaging Kristen on FB and asking her. I've talked to her before. She's a lovely girl. :wub:

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Also, don't forget. Broadcast Networks and Cable are not really that different....

ABC- Owned by Disney which also owns: Disney Channel, ESPN, ESPN News, ESPN U, ESPN 2, ESPN Classic, Soap Net, Disney XD, ABC Family. Disney also owns a 37% stake in A&E Television Networks including A&E, BIO, CI, History, History International, Lifetime, Lifetime Movie Network, Lifetime Real Women, and Military History.

NBC- Owned by Comcast/GE: Comcast Sports Networks, E!, G4, CNBC, MSNBC, USA, Bravo, Oxygen, SyFy, Style, Telemundo, The Weather Channel, NBC-Universal also owns a 25% stake in A&E Television Networks including A&E, BIO, CI, History, History International, Lifetime, Lifetime Movie Network, Lifetime Real Women, and Military History.

CBS- Owned by Viacom: MTV, MTV 2, VH1, CMT, BET, LOGO, Comedy Central, Nickelodeon, TV Land, Teen Nick, Nick Jr, Spike

So while the networks may be losing viewers to cable, their parent companies are deeply intertwined in cable so they arent really losing the viewers as much as the are spreading them out amongst their multiple outlets

• Members

LOL I believe that too! (Seriously) but I think HBO because of viewer loyalty will have much more success switching over to whatever medium than ABC, for example, will.

Yes great point, but it means nothing to the bottom line to, say, ABC. ABC IS mad that they might have some of their Sunday night lineup more and more stolen by HBO--that's undeniable.

• Webmaster

I've always felt (at least in the last five years) that daytime needed a shakeup and that with ratings being not so great on certain days (namely Friday), that executives should think about cutting down on the five days a week of soapy drama. While I'm not saying to cancel a soap by any means, as this thread is about, but cut the soaps to four days. Program a new set of shows (preferably scripted) on Fridays. If successful, not only would we have more programs on the air during the day (and on network TV no less), they'd all compliment the soaps. If the day were to where we'd lose a soap, by not airing a program five days a week, the networks could transition their daytime blocks in the form of primetime. We'd be able to have numerous original (again preferably scripted) programming each day and many of our current daytime stars would more than likely find work in some of these shows. For anyone that says there isn't an audience, speak with Univision and Telemundo, they do just fine with daily scripted programming.

• Members

WHat's interesting is Nickelodeon (and MuchMusic here in Canada) had such huge success switching Degrassi, their teen soap, to a 4 days a week, 50 episode "telenovela" run that they've agreed to do it that way this, and next year as well. As everyone has said, obviously there is still interest in daily scripted drama.

• Members

I think you'll see cheap programming being produced as web series before you see it on any network or digital sub-channel. We are already seeing that now with several web series popping up left and right, some of them have proven to be successful thus far.

• Members

I think this makes too much sense (and isn't a quick enough solution to figure out) for networks to do. My mom said the same thing--why didn't they cut soaps back to four days a week before cutting them entirely.

Nono, more and more scripted comedy and drama will be viable only on cable, is what I meant. It's already happening, IMHO, despite a few recent network successes.

I really need to read all your posts before posting any of mine :P I just read an article in the local paper (from a Canadian national source) quoting about what a huge financial success the Degrassi new format was for the show--they focused mainly on Canada but it was undeniable it was in the US as well).

• Webmaster

I'm enjoying reading your knowledge in this thread, but the only nitpick I have is that CBS isn't owned by Viacom anymore. CBS ventured off into its own company a few years back. They took Showtime with them, leaving MTV to oversee those other cable networks. Also, NBCUniversal only owns 16% of A&E.

• Members

Absolutely, and this is pretty much the way I watch television now. :lol: With my Netflix/Roku, my A&E and Gordon Ramsey shows streamed online, my dvr chock full o' Cops, Man vs. Food, and Diners, Dives, and Drive-ins :lol: ... OLTL is probably my only sit down and watch live "appointment" television, everything else I watch live is either incidental (news, classic sitcoms on AntennaTV) or a happy accident if it's a show I'd already planned to dvr or stream anyway.

• Members

I am not a proponent of unscripted/reality tv. As a television professional these types of series pose a threat to my livelihood by taking up schedule space that a scripted series could have taken. My argument is that ABC Daytime needed a shakeup and this is it. Daytime soaps in their current form have run their course and are based off an old ideology. While Univision & Telemundo have great success with their telenovelas, they are more of a primetime thing. I'm sure there were other ways that ABC could have gone about this but all it would have done is just prolonged an inevitable end.

• Members

I should send in my idea about Tad getting a brain tumor and seeing ghost Dixie. Also revealing to Jesse that he killed Madden and Jesse tells him about Ellie/Lucy. Then, after Tad is cured. He tells Angie and they begin an affair to remember. Jesse then arrests Tad for Madden's murder. Which causes Tad's tumor to come back, eventually killing him. Two cases solved. One huge umbrella storyline for the whole Martin/Hubbard clan. CMC comes back as Dixie for a bit...and I get my White Lightning/Chocolate Thunder love! :wub: (Yes, I want Tad and Angie to boink...Is that so bad of me? Just a little grief sex pleaaaaase before cancelation. Then after Tad dies (yes, kill him off please when the show is canceled. So that GH won't try to take the character rights and Guza screw Tad up) Angie and Jesse...Get back together. Ride off into the sunset..and then we see Tad and Dix...Together forever. In Heaven. :wub:

Archived