Is ABC Preparing to Cancel AMC and OLTL?

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I heard about this possibility a while ago, but I still have a hard time believing they'd do both at once. If they do, they do - sad, but typical of ABC. But Brian Frons's mismanagement is only going to send GH into the grave as well, quicker than he realizes.

If they go, they go. Soaps will be back, and I wouldn't be surprised to see the network mount a revival of one or both in altered format or delivery system in the next 10-15 years. Everything is cyclical.

• Members

Can't say I'm all that surprised, while sad to loose two more soaps, OLTL isn't doing that much better than AMC is. I've been thinking myself, business wise, that it makes more sense to cancel AMC & OLTL at the same time, than to cancel one then end up canceling the other a year later. ABC only cares about GH anyways and is one they are going to try to keep around a while, so why continue to pour resources into shows they don't really have long term investment in? Sad, but seems to be the harsh reality. If DAYS can hang on as long as it has without any other soaps, I think GH can hang on with AMC or OLTL.

• Members

I know, but I'm sure smart business woman Miss Lucci understands that a schedule is not a guarantee. It's like buying a yearly membership to a health club that goes out of business in month four.

• Members

That dual cancellation rumor came out a month or two ago, but the version I heard claimed it was AMC this year and OLTL in mid-late 2012. I thought it was too far-fetched because I didn't see the network announcing OLTL's cancellation over a year ahead of time.

I think it's a stupid move. What ABC doesn't seem to account for is that without either of the soaps, GH has no cushion and no protection, and I think a lot more people put up with GH's bullshit due to the multi-soap block than the network realizes.

• Members

But DAYS always had far more viewers than its companion soaps and was also the lead soap on the lineup. GH is the last soap in the block, and have about the same amount of viewers than AMC/OLTL. This dual cancellation thing will kill it. The people ABC are morons if they pull both at once.

• Members

They're not going to pull them both at the same time. The press release or maybe they'll actually make Frons do it, will just read something about ABC Daytime wanting out of the soap business and that they've been honored to have AMC and OLTL as long as they have. Unfortunately the time has come to see both shows end, to be replaced with excited new shows. They will begin phasing out the line up in September when AMC/OLTL ends and then again the following September when AMC/OLTL ends. General Hospital will stay around for an undermined amount of time, as it is still as equally exciting as these news ventures, and will provide a good balance.

Not hard. One goes in September 2011 the other September (if it makes it that long) 2012. GH probably in September 2013. Staggering the endings.

• Members

It doesn't matter what the actual last airdate is; if you say you're cancelling both, then they are cancelling them at the same time. Also, this is not the international soaps where virtually every major decision is reported up to a year in advance, which is what still makes me skeptical of the original rumor.

• Members

But how is canceling AMC now, then having OlTL's erode due no lead in, leading to it's cancellation a year later any better? To me that's basically giving false hope to OLTL viewers & delaying the inevitable. ABC signaled they were done with soap they pulled Soapnet. To use an analogy, I'd rather ABC rip off that band-aid now, than slowly remove it.

• Members

I doubt ABC would announce a soap was canceled and then say it will be on until Sept 2012. If one or both gets canceled, they will be off the air by September 2011. I guess its possible ABC announces AMC's cancelation next week for a September 2011 final air date, and privately plan on canceling OLTL with a December 2011 or Sept 2012 final air date but that will be announced later in the year. I just don't see them announcing OLTL's cancellation IF OLTL doesn't go off the air the same day as AMC, so if both are canceled, it would be announced both are ending this summer.

Archived