November 22-26, 2010

Toups

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I do not understand all the attention lavished on "The Talk"...sour grapes from ATWT fans or those who don't want to see a soap replaced by a talk show? While anything can happen, I doubt that we will see a new soap launched, unless the current financial scenarios are drastically overhauled.

Obviously CBS is "spinning" the numbers for "The Talk", as every network - broadcast or cable - does in their press releases...are we shocked by this? There are more than 14 CBS affiliates (or "stations"), but the network may only own 14 of those affiliates. The largest affiliates, in L.A., NYC, and Chicago are all owned by CBS, but our local affiliate is not owned by the network. In fact, while the rules have changed, I believe there are still limits on how many affiliates a network can own.

This will be my last comment on "The Talk" (unless someone starts an argument), but attracting 2.29 million viewers for last week (the week of Thanksgiving) is not that bad. One year earlier, ATWT averaged 2.42 million viewers the same week.

Lastly, some predictions for this week...

Y&R - 4.7 million viewers / 3.5 rating

B&B - 2.9 million viewers / 2.3 rating

Days - 2.4 million viewers / 1.9 rating (assuming Fridays episode is counted as a "special")

GH - 2.3 million viewers / 1.8 rating

AMC - 2.3 million viewers / 1.8 rating

OLTL - 2.2 million viewers / 1.7 rating

• Members

Is that different that CBS's previous releases? (Honest question.) We're so used to dissecting ABC's weekly spin report that we seem to forget it's just that: spin. CBS is going to do their spin in whatever way is most advantageous to them. Comparing an ABC release to a CBS one is like comparing a Fox News release to an MSNBC one. They're both going to say "We rock, they suck!"

• Members

I thought they owned more too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CBS_Television_Stations

"As of 2009, CBS Corporation owns 28 stations, broken down as follows: 14 are the key stations of the CBS Television Network(plus two satellites); nine are aligned with the CW Television Network, which is co-owned by CBS with Time Warner; three independent stations; one station affiliated with MyNetworkTV, and one low-power outlet carrying MTV Tr3s programming."

• Members

Yes it's different because it's larger markets performance. The last press release was touting smaller markets like Baltimore if I remember correctly and that was pretty pitiful attempt at spin.

NYC and a Chicago are top markets and far more more worthy of spin.

• Members

That's not much of a bounce for GH, although they are still near the top in 18-49.

I wonder why DAYS went up. They really have lost a lot from last year, if they gained 100K this week and are still down so much.

Even with endless stunts and desperate gimmicks, and the buildup to their New Orleans remote, Y&R still falls.

• Members

Unless DAYS Total Viewers was wrong last week (11/15), DAYS is only up 30,000 or so for the week (11/22). DAYS was regularly getting 3 million or more viewers a week for a period in the 2009-2010 season therefore the huge year to year drops.

• Members

Just dreadful numbers all around. The 3rd place soap only pulling 2.4 million viewers and OLTL is again dead last in total viewers. The ABC soap numbers finally match...not one soap is better than the other...they are all equal.

• Members

Could throw DAYS into that equation. It gives a little more credence to 2.4 to 2.5 million being the new high for non-CBS soaps. Even when GH rebounded a couple of weeks ago it was one week over 2.4 million and one week over 2.5 million. We'll see how the soaps do in Jan/Feb before calling that though.

Any of those 4 soaps could interchange from #3 to #6 with just a simple fart, right now.

• Members

Good for The Talk. They apparently beat OLTL outright in women 18-34. To have 2.3 million viewers, with cheap production costs, it is a home run to CBS! Just like Let's Make A Deal. CBS really did make a good decision to cancel GL and ATWT.

Archived