November 22-26, 2010

Toups

• Members

I get the feeling that CBS is more aiming their press releases at investors and business-media outlets such as Bloomberg than the other networks because good news like this actually impacts stock price. ABC and NBC are only tiny parts of their repective parent companies; however, when CBS does something such as revamp The Early Show, stock moves upwards. CBS wants to mention the company-owned affiliates because, here again, this comes down to bottom line profit. I dispise The Talk but this show looks like a cash cow.

Yes, there is certainly a lot of spin here but it's good news like this that has CBS stock price up 16 percent for the year. All press releases are spun but, if they were to to do anything less, these executives wouldn't be doing their job. The goal is to highlight bright spots while deflecting attention away from areas of weakness.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have to comment or maybe ask a question. I keep hearing or reading here how a show like Y&R is happy to be number 1 and GH is happy to be number 2 in demos etc. But what I read in publications like advertising age or even on the TV By the Numbers site is that placement really doesn't matter. This continues to be highlighted especially on TVBYTHENUMBERS when the Leno fans continue to crow about how Leno is beating Letterman even though the numbers are down from last year. They continue to point out placement means nothing except for PR purposes that advertisers don't care if someone is number 1 or number 3 as long as their demographic hits a specific target as promised or negotiated. So why is it the there is such a focus on placement here when a lot of these shows are not even in head to head competition - lets not talk about the fact that the demos for all the shows barring perhaps Y&R really are not that great. Is there something differnt analyzed when it comes to soaps that perhaps does not apply to the rest of network television? Just curious and I have wanted to ask this question for ages.

• Members

My dislike of LnL is legend and loud, but I think it also has to be acknowledged that the LnL fanbase thinks the are OWED and that everything is a slap in their face. I don't blame Guza and co for telling them to get over themselves.

My questions is about Days, why - considering it was the only one to show a new episode on Black Friday - are they not being considered part of the ratings for the week? That seems extremely odd to me. Do the other shows influence what can be included and what not? Or conversely why would Days not want an episode that ranked 2nd highest that week to be counted?

• Members

I don't care about LnL at all. What I do take exception to is both actors, TG and GF, whining incessently in the press about their issues as if the problem is with the fans or the show not them. GF and her repeated comments about not being invited back to GH on a more permanent basis and how she doesn't get it and TG and him feeling he has the right to tell fans to get over it regarding LnL. Neither of these actors constitute the level of entitlement that comes across in the interviews they've given in the past. I don't care how iconic TG or GH thinks he is fact is TG hasn't been able to successfully do anything outside of Luke Spencer on GH and GF while whe's actually had some successful runs on other soaps, hasn't been a breakout star either. TG always to me comes across as resentful of the box he's been placed in in terms of his career and GF, well she has her own issues. I just hate it when actors blame the fans or others for issues they themselves have. Believe it or not fans and the shows have the right to decide for themselves what they like or what is best and any actor can STFU about it. Annoys the heck out of me.

• Members

I dont' know much about what is said in the press I'm a huge fan of Genie Francis and don't ship couples much because I just go with the actor's characters...whomever they can get a story with I'm good especially the vets since I'm a huge fan of vintage GH.

But if I had my way I would have went with Stefan Cassadine as for what she's whined about in the press I've gone to a few of her events and she responded to questions re: when is she coming back to GH and as recent as May 2010 when she was asked that question she said "they haven't asked me." I did read an executive producer said something about her weight and there is no audience for her whether that is true who knows also I saw her on "The View" where she spoke her mind I don't consider that whining...

However a question I've seen frequently asked that she responds to is when is she returning to GH. Heaven forbid she would seek a contract for herself like Ingo, Tony or Kelly did where she too can get outs because rumor has it that's all she wanted and they refused. So I really wouldn't know unless I'm in the room.

• Members

Ranking probably matters to a certain small extent but a lot of this has to do with bragging rights. Press releases are like a never ending pissing contest. In primetime, 30 Rock might be a good example in that it as never been a hit on par with a show like Friends but I've read it reaches the wealthy 'BMW Demo'. The goal seems to be hitting various particular niche demos as viewership continues to fragment. Strategy also varies depending on network. Mooves is less demo-centric and looking for cash cows with broad appeal. Zucker recently spoke about how he failed with his NBC stategy developed by Ben Silverman of keeping costs low while treating broadcast too much like cable. I've yet to read too much about ABC aside from Disney wanting to run. The same vision should apply to both primetime and daytime; however, with daytime's depressed viewing levels, it seems to me that all networks have chosen to settle with Fox not even really involved.

I still think the situation for CBS is slightly different in that the flagship network brings in the majority of corporate profit. With NBCU, NBC only brings in 5% of total earnings so the typical investor might not be all that interested in the performance of network-owned affiliates. A Disney investor will certainly look at the profits coming from theme parks long before soap ratings. Really, it is quarterly profits of a particular division that matter far more than bragging rights or rating's crowns.

• Members

GF Wanted The Same Contract That TG Has and Thats why she left in 2002. She Didnt Feel GH Valued Her As Much As They Do TG & They Should. Its Because Of Both GF and TG That GH Still Exists. If It Wasnt for Their Popularity, GH Wouldnt Have Survived Past 1978

• Members

I don't begrudge any actress leaving for this reason but it was her choice and I don't think it's any secret how the entertainment industry treats actresses versus actors. It's not right that's no secret. VM also wanted some latitude in her contract which at the time the show was unwilling to do so she left. The difference is I didn't read about VM complaining continually and if GF hasn't I apologize.

I'm not discounting the contributions GF or TG made to GH over the years but they were paid for their work were they not. Both left the show at varying times over their careers by their choice and I don't believe anyone holds that against them. If the show doesn't feel that the couple fits on the show or both don't fit that's their choice they set the show direction not the fans or the actors. And no I don't find it professional for actors to periodically continue to have to dish the show or fans nor would it be appropriate for the show to dish them, which while GH hasn't actively pursued GF, I've never read one ounce of disrespect for her in print. And in all her visits back, she's been treated gracefully and with respect for the most part.

As for TG, he has whined about the fans and their refusal to let LnL go. Well how horrible it must be to be associated to a soap pairing that became a pop icon and made him who he is and how dare the pairing still have fans who love them. No one thinks his character should be held in some sort of box mourning for his true love endlessly. That doesn't even make sense on a soap opera, but he should be grateful and appreciative to all his fans, not just those he deems viable.

Archived