November 22-26, 2010

Toups

• Members

There are places for these types of stories to be told, I would venture to guess a prison rape story could thoughtfully told but certainly not on a show written by Bob Guza. A more thoughtful writer or maybe if it was writtin during the time AMC so beautifully wrote so many social stories it might have worked on daytime. In today's climate I just cringe at the thought of not just GH but any soap tackling an issue like that.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Craig killing people with no punishment and Will murdering Rose happened before similar stories on GH.

The problem with Guza "edginess" is even with daytime's censorship, he lacks the talent or the taste to make it work. Just compare Liz's initial rape story to more recent material, where her rape was first used as some sort of lurid come-on (as she confided that the man she was having an affair with was the first who had given her an orgasm since her rape), and then used to show viewers how unworthy she was as anything but a fallen woman (Lucky saying the only time she'd been worth anything was when she was bleeding to death in the snow immediately after her rape).

• Members

Well, after this latest truckload of posts without explanations, where opinions are presented as facts, your work here is done. :P People are impossibly stubborn in their beliefs and just love to spill the Guza hate. smile.gif

You can just see personal frustrations being reborn as "facts" and "opinions".

• Members

Those stories were both so poorly done, and the one with AJ's death was so disgusting, so typical of Guza/Pratt. I think we were supposed to get a thrill out of AJ's son murdering him.

The one with Michael killing Claudia was bizarre but seemed to be setting up something about Michael being a monster and out of control. That story was the one where someone from up high very clearly slammed the brakes hard. I also kind of wonder if that was the reason for the rape story - to somehow make Michael less wild, in their mind, and more long-suffering, like Jason is long-suffering.

• Members

I don't know that anyone is representing anything as fact. Like most anything posted on this board barring the actual ratings, most everything is opinion isn't it? Although I plead guilty for being the one to start this tirade against Guza in this thread. This really isn't the place for it.

• Members

GF has every right to be pissed off. The fact that they treat Tony Geary much better than her gives her every right to be.

I know damn well that if I was on a show for 20 years, part of the most popular couple in the shows history, and had given the show it's highest ratings...ever, I would be pissed for that mistreatment.

The fact is, Tony Geary didnt play Luke AND Laura. He didn't marry himself. He didn't go on adventures by HIMSELF. He was one half of a pairing that never would have been without Genie, and the fact that they wouldn't treat them both equally is ridiculous and Genie has every right to say that.

And what makes it even more ludicrous is that Tony Geary goes around bashing soap fans, telling them to get over it, showing them no respect, and trying to forget what made him famous. I've never heard Genie say one negative thing about the soap genre, the LnL pairing, and she certainly never says anything negative about fans or belittles them. And yet she is the one treated with such lack of respect?

Sexism at its finest.

• Members

I'm not sure where I was singing Tony Geary's praises or where you saw any of that. I think he's a pretty ungrateful *ss. I as much as said that and isn't entitled to anything. As far as Genie, I just think it's pointless for her to continue to whine about it. What purpose does it serve. She should IMO take the higher ground and just keep quiet about it and move on.

But you and I both know how sexist Hollywood is. For a culture (LA and California) that for the most part tends to lend lip service to fairly progressive issues, their treatment of women in general is the most sexist of all industies out there. Worse than the technology industry. The part that shocks me is how women who achieve some level of status and power in that industry(Anne Sweeney, Oprah Winfrey) do nothing to help improve that. But here's me off on yet another tangent and unrelated issue.

• Members

What I find irritating beyond belief for, like, a second or two and then I don't give a damn is the victim attitude of some fans: That evil man Gugu destroyed my soap and traumatized me for life! Because of him I stopped watching and I can't take my daily drug! Now I have all these nightmares of Guza's character wrecking haunting me in my dreams and I will never forgive him! I still follow the show and all around it, and I can't get myself around my dear, poor, poor Brenda being destroyed. 'Cause I'm a masochist. And I like to pour more kerosene over my burning fires.

Please. Some people. It is a soap. A TV show. It was beautiful, wonderful when it gave me satisfaction and fulfillment, but then it got wrecked and there is nothing I can do. I can either watch or not watch. That's all. That's one of the healthier attitudes. But some people have this urge, this unstoppable need to bash Guza and blame them for everything wrong in their lives. Which is blink.gif.

And I'm not talking about you, it was in general.

And no, if you're talking to me, I didn't say you were praising Geary. :)

• Members

Please. Let the GH fans bash Guza all they want at least for this week. Anything is better than the OLTL Defense Squad hijacking this thread every week to engage in the emotional masturbation of telling themselves (and us) that OLTL can't possible get canceled and AMC is doomed. Just let them hate on Guza.

• Members

Oh I get that. I actually stopped watching GH about a year ago and it's pointless to whine about it. My interest only got peaked when I tuned in for 1 episode to watch VM and I blame myself for that. Never should have done it. The LnL entitlement while I understand their contribution just irks me when it comes to both actors especially. While I understand their place in show history, it is history right and should be left as such. And it wasnt GF or TG that "Saved GH" it was a smart EP and HW at the time who were bold enough to try something differnt for a change. JMO.

• Members

You are right about Luke & Laura.

It's actually quite sad that the show made you stop watching because you obviously have a lot of intelligent stuff to say. I wouldn't blame myself for wanting to check out Vanessa's latest return, it was natural curiosity. It killed the cat, but it was just that, curiosity.

• Members

Oh no, I wasn't saying you were singing his praises or anything like that. I was just making the general statement.

I really don't have an opinion on LnL anymore. Will they ever be what they once were? No. Would I like seeing them together again? Sure.

All i was saying is that I dont think it's unreasonable for GF to want as much respect as TG. I think they were equal in the pairing. Also, I've never gotten the impression GF whines about anything. I know she answers questions quite honestly when she's asked about things, but I don't consider that whining, and I think it's perfectly fine for her to do so.

Archived