DAYS: Behind the Scenes, Articles/Photos

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

My only experience with AHB and RA & AS is from J&J edits, but they included a lot of extra stuff. The dialogue under AHB's leadership was really quick and smart, that's one thing I can really say. She created Isabella, a character I never connected with, but who has always had such an impact on the show.

I loved RA & AS and I don't know if I agree that they returned to the super couple format following a more edgy tenure from AHB. They had Jack & Jennifer and did two really big adventure stories (the train wreck really doesn't compare to The Cruise of Deception or Alamania), but they didn't do much with Steve & Kayla and then they were the fools to do Shane/Kayla (every writer always has one really big disaster, lol). Their stories were really introspective and dark and the family aspects of the program seemed to focus on defeat, not triumph. I really, really loved them. But IA (with ghfan89) that, tragically, Jennifer's rape focused more on Jack's reaction. But I'm one of the few old school J&J fans who feel Jennifer's characterization was often at the expense of overexposure of the Jack Deveraux character, who was the character of 1990 much like focus EJ received from Sheffer or Nicole from Higley. Carly Manning sucked, another low point of RA & AS, and yes, she did take over the show, complete with rewriting the ENTIRE Frankie & Jenn story to give her a back-story.

Anne Schoettle was actually invited back to "Days" to write J&J's farewell episode, which was a love letter to the super couple era, and it was sappily amazing but ignored J&J's later relationships/ties with/to characters like Billie and Lucas. Fascinatingly, the only other story featured that day was the BIG climax of the Phil/Belle/Shawn/Mimi rectangle where everyone found out that Shawn, not Philip was the father of Claire's baby. I've always been curious whether or not AS wrote the whole episode, or just the J&J stuff, because talk about two totally contrasting things--80's nostalgia and a contemporary climax.

• Members

Off on another tangent ,Found this in the March 30 82 synopsis in SOD

Tony shows his father a film he took at his party in Salem...When the camera focuses on Marlena.Stefano comments on her beauty and says she'll fit into their plans!Tony mentions that Marlena is able to bear children.That's important if she's to become Stefano's daughter-in-law.A wife to one of Tony's brothers!

Stefano becomes excited when he spots Julie.He rises from his chair and shouts,"That's her!"Tony explains Julie is married,but that doesn't deter Stefano.'IF i want her,she's mine!"he declares.

We can only guess how things would have gone with Pat Falken Smith at the helm for longer.

Edited by Paul Raven

• Members

CarlD, thanks for posting the DAYS Du Jour. What's sad is that not only do I know that I have that article, but it's in the Digest with Sami, Lucas, Carrie, and Austin on the cover with the caption "Watch Out Sami, You're About to Get Caught!" I remember way too much about DAYS and Digest during the good ol' days...