As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

My pleasure. As you know, I can babble on ENDLESSLY about my beloved soaps of yore, LOL!

Please register in order to view this content

I don't think Edith or John were even referenced. Like when Papa Bauer passed away on TGL, no one mentioned Trudy. It would have made sense for the show to mention Penny, considering how hugely popular she had been, and how much the audience remembered her and wanted to see her again, but if Penny did get a mention, I did not hear it.

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Again, I decided to watch a classic B&B episode on their YouTube channel (which is kind of a mess, tbh, at least on mobile) to see whether there were any P&G ads streaming during the episode and counted no less than 1-2-3 ads during the approx. 21 minutes run time.  Pretty interesting. There was also a trailer for an Apple TV+ show. Do soaps on regular broadcast television even get these caliber of ads running during their shows? Seems more upscale, imo.

• Members

There are some performers who are so beloved, so iconic, and/or so deeply associated with their characters that the audience will never accept replacerments. TPTB may try, but it rarely if ever works.

Attempting to replace Mary Stuart as Jo on Search for Tomorrow, John Beradino as Steve on General Hospital, Charita Bauer as Bert on The Guiding Light, Susan Flannery as Syephanie on The Bold and the Beautiful, Ann Flood as Nancy on The Edge of Night, etc., would have been met with similar anger from viewers.

Honestly, although I rejected her as Penny Hughes, Phoebe Dorin seemed like a capable actress. She may have been embraced by the viewers in any other role, but she just was not "our" Penny.

• Members

GREAT interview with Alan Locher and 5 time Emmy winner Chris Goutman! The ones who complain the most could never, ever ever do the job that Chris did. Much less win 5 emmys. Alan Locher has done a great job with his interviews. Great insight. It's so easy to critique and not understand the financials behind it. Chris Goutman, 5 emmys. JFP, 11 emmys. Incredible talent. 

• Members

Today w/ Goutman was Locher as he should be for all interviews.  Smooth, professional and respectful.  

Lots of insights and questions into Goutman's acting, directing and producing career.  Edge of Night, Another World and All My Children were all discussed...before getting to ATWT.   

Locher even dared to ask Goutman about Martha Byrne !  I was shocked that a company man would go there...but of course thrilled.  Basically Goutman answered that he wished it had not gone down the way it did and he knew what a loss losing Martha was.  That if he had to do it over again he would have done it differently. He said if Mickey Dwyer Dobbin had still be there working with him, it would likely have ended differently. The interview is worth the watch just to hear him answer this question.  I so wonder if Martha was at home watching...

He also revealed a silver lining that resulted:  Noelle Beck was the one who got Julianne Moore to return at the end -- they were friends.  So if Noelle had not been playing Lily, we likely would not have had Julianne's lovely farewell return.

Edited by gimmetoo