• P.J.

• Soapsuds

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Questions...

Why didn't you let Luke live happily ever after with Reid, or even Noah?

Why didn't you allow Martha Byrne to come back as Lily?

This is going to be a love fest to the core. One that'll make his interview with JFP look like he wanted to kill her. 

• Members

No one is going to confront Goutman about any of those things as he would not agree to the interview otherwise. Much as I find Locher to be cloying, it's not as if he is an outlier. The soap press of the last 20 years has been a shambles, and helped kill the genre.

• Members
6 minutes ago, DRW50 said:

No one is going to confront Goutman about any of those things as he would not agree to the interview otherwise. Much as I find Locher to be cloying, it's not as if he is an outlier. The soap press of the last 20 years has been a shambles, and helped kill the genre.

Very much agreed. The 'soap press' is mostly a joke and did help kill the genre. They also stopped holding soaps accountable when they veered off track for fear of losing their precious scoops and contacts. I see that now with the 'media' on social media. They refuse to criticize or hold the show/executives accountable and approach it with a 'nothing to see here' attitude. It's more or less the same thing.

• Members
3 hours ago, DRW50 said:

Soaps at their best served an importance in entertainment nothing else can touch, due to the daily format, many years of continuity and history, making us feel like we are part of a family. I have missed that so much in the Trump years and now with COVID and all the instability.

Speaking of classic episodes - these aren't exactly "classic" (especially not the second), but as you have watched quite a few of these I was wondering if you'd seen these or know if they had already been online. The dates are off for us due to them airing in the Netherlands, but they would have aired in the US in fall 1992 and fall 1993. The '92 is only about 15 minutes, sadly. 

I do understand the complaints people have about Marland's last years as headwriter, but something about 1992  is so rich for me, so fascinating in its bleakness and the sheer weight of stories he built up slowly, slowly unraveling. The 15 minutes there have some wonderful scenes with Emma and Julie (probably looking about as chic as she ever would). I really wish they had done more with all the bitterness Emma felt about the Aaron lie - it would have been interesting to see more exploration of her very dysfunctional relationship with Iva. Marland came full circle in that instance as his tenure started with Iva/Emma dysfunction.

The mention of Grace and Logan in Wyoming also shows how important the years of history were in this period, and how much ATWT died when that aspect was dumped  by Jon Valente. 

I much liked Emma when she wasn't so perky and cheerful.

Early Emma was more sedate and cold, especially with Iva.  Marland seeme to turn her into a caricature over time.

• Members

The best statement people can make to voice their displeasure is either to pepper the chat with pointed questions on his disrespect of the show's history and the veteran talent or to just not tune in at all and let the view count shrivel.

It's a waste of my time personally, so I don't plan to watch.

Anywho,

Thanks for the clips @DRW50. This is a period during which I became an inconsistent viewer because school and extra-curriculars got so very busy. Only in the last several years have I been seeing episodes that filled in the storyline blanks with more specifics. Seeing entire episodes of B&B posted online has made me slightly envious, wishing that I could see entire episodes of ATWT in clear audio and visual quality. Even with the mediocre acting that plagued so much of B&B, being able to see a whole entire episode in clear audio and visual quality makes it that more enjoyable. If only we could get more of that for ATWT.

Not only a single episode (of which ATWT has more than quite a few), but the fact that I know the next episode will be uploaded, no missing episodes or storylines abruptly ended due to missing scenes and episodes.

• Members
7 minutes ago, DramatistDreamer said:

The best statement people can make to voice their displeasure is either to pepper the chat with pointed questions on his disrespect of the show's history and the veteran talent or to just not tune in at all and let the view count shrivel.

I give him credit for booking good guests, and try to tune him out while I listen to them. 

• Members
47 minutes ago, KMan101 said:

Very much agreed. The 'soap press' is mostly a joke and did help kill the genre. They also stopped holding soaps accountable when they veered off track for fear of losing their precious scoops and contacts. I see that now with the 'media' on social media. They refuse to criticize or hold the show/executives accountable and approach it with a 'nothing to see here' attitude. It's more or less the same thing.

They did seem to go after the TOLN/PP soaps in a very aggressively negative manner, as if the turf they were protecting were their very own, all because their preferred HWs didnt get to write the online versions of AMC and OLTL.

2 minutes ago, amybrickwallace said:

I give him credit for booking good guests, and try to tune him out while I listen to them. 

Well, since I want CG to get as few clicks as possible, I won't even be doing that.

• Members
3 minutes ago, DramatistDreamer said:

They did seem to go after the TOLN/PP soaps in a very aggressively negative manner, as if the turf they were protecting were their very own, all because their preferred HWs didnt get to write the online versions of AMC and OLTL.

Well, since I want CG to get as few clicks as possible, I won't even be doing that.

Yep and I haven't forgotten that they did that. 

And same. I have no interest in Goutman. 

53 minutes ago, amybrickwallace said:

Plus, Locher is not exactly a scintillating interviewer.

lol nope.

I'd die if he asked "so why was Eileen Fulton sidelined for the last decade of ATWT after speaking out?"

He would never. And part of me gets why. You don't do that if you deliberately want to remain 'neutral'. 

• Members
2 minutes ago, KMan101 said:

He would never. And part of me gets why. You don't do that if you deliberately want to remain 'neutral'. 

Exactly. He may know more about the P&G shows but he can't really spill tea or ask people from those shows to. 

Interviewing really isn't his strength. At least in the beginning, in lockdown, the shows had more of the reunion feel. But now that he has continued the show and included folks outside the daytime realm, he should be working on how to be a better interviewer and doing more research on his non-P&G guests. And who knows, maybe he is working on it. I only hope so.

• Members
9 minutes ago, KMan101 said:

I'd die if he asked "so why was Eileen Fulton sidelined for the last decade of ATWT after speaking out?"

It makes me wonder whether we'll ever get to see a streamed discussion with Eileen Fulton now. Part of me thinks she may not want to do one after he's been an invites guest. The other part of me hopes that Eileen gets fired up and wants to be a guest on one, if only to "set the record straight".

• Members
8 minutes ago, Soapsuds said:

Well I left my comments on Alan's FB page about this interview with Goutman. Let's just say he didn't like my comments. Others did though.

Alan would never dare ask hard hitting questions. Did she get bitchy?

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by victoria foxton