As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

I have to say, GL bringing back Meta was a great idea...(believe it or not it was McTavish who started it) and while she disappeared from the screen often (some due to Stuarts illness some not) when she was on she was a spot on tough but loving town matriarch. She had a short scene with Abuela Santos once where she firmly blew her off and put her in her place...(we needed more of evil matriarch vs. good matriarch...)

All of those deaths described above cracked me up and almost seemed like a soap parody. Did Seinfeld get the out of contol wheelchair idea from Ms. Irma?  Mo's death on GL was small potatoes on what she could have come up with (she would have been the original "crock pot" as death machine writer..)

I think this describes it well. Charita was just a force of joy that could not be contained so the writers gave up and no matter how hard they tried, Wagner kept a distance..(I have seen interviews with her that she is very firmly NOT sweet grandma) I wonder what the cast thought of her (besides her nakedness in the make up room...) It seems when she left in 80 there was not a lot of cast remarks on her leaving.

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

New Reunion Alert!!! I think most of us will be looking forward this one!!!

Former soap publicist Alan Locher will be interviewing AS THE WORLD TURNS faves Scott Bryce (ex-Craig), Gregg Marx (ex-Tom) and Hillary B. Smith (ex-Margo) next week. The live chat will take place on Friday, June 19, a 2 p.m. ET.

https://www.soapoperadigest.com/content/new-as-the-world-turns-virtual-reunion/

• Members

Loved Connor too she was indeed IMO one of the best characters especially in that 1993-95 period.

Interesting as I never thought about how Nancy ever was to Don and Janice. I do recall reading something a long time ago about when Don returned in the late 60’s the Hughes were shocked to learn Janice had been dead for some time and Don had shipped the kids off to live with Janice’s family without Don even bothering to contact them when it happened. Sheesh!

Whatever happened to John and Marion Hughes? 

• Members

I have to say, GL bringing back Meta was a great idea...(believe it or not it was McTavish who started it) and while she disappeared from the screen often (some due to Stuarts illness some not) when she was on she was a spot on tough but loving town matriarch. She had a short scene with Abuela Santos once where she firmly blew her off and put her in her place...(we needed more of evil matriarch vs. good matriarch...)

Mary Stuart was quite good as the feistier Meta. Both her onscreen confrontations/rivalries with Maria Santos and Claire Ramsey were well-rooted in family loyalty. Meta could’ve mopped the floor with Jo.  I line to imagine that Vanessa would be that kind of matriarch today. 

Back to ATWT though...I felt that we were fortunate to have several ladies in that age range as the show ended, even if Emma and Lisa were underused. And they were all distinct and different types of matriarchs. 

Often wondered if Nancy’s fondness for Katie and Alison had anything to do with Susan. Perhaps Susan herself had been a handful too?

• Members

Mary Matthews on AW was warm and loving from day-one.  She didn't have the stern history of Nancy Hughes or Bert Bauer, who both evolved into warm loving matriarchs.   Oddly, Mary actually became less warm in her later years -- mostly because she opposed Alice's troubled relationship with Steve Frame.  And of course, Harding Lemay was trying to turn Mary into Liz Matthews -- which was foolish.   

• Members

More likely, they had an idea, but P&G wanted them to concentrate more on "sexing up" the show and making it more competitive with the ABC ones.

Weren't there also Caroline Franz and John Saffron (and maybe a couple of others) during that time period as well?

I, for one, have always wondered what happened to Saffron.  Aside from writing an episode of KNOTS LANDING, the man seems to have dropped off the globe.

Edited by Khan

• Members

I thought they did a respectable job before Marland arrived. I don't recall who first penned the Whit McColl murder mystery but the ending written by Benjamin and Horgan was riveting and a ratings hit. I know Horgan stayed for a while after Marland arrived but I wish she would've stayed longer along with Bejamin, Saffron, King and Taggert. Marland only kept Franz. Their writing was better than what came after Marland death.Backus and Co. sucked.

Edited by Soapsuds

• Members

I didn't watch GL growing up in the 70s and by the time I started watching the show she was on very sporadically. The vast majority of GL material I've watched/listened to is from the 50s and 60s and she was a bitch on wheels back then! I think she became more of a sympathetic character in the late 60s and grew into the sweet grandma type in the 70s. 

Now THIS is a reunion I can get behind! I so hope Alan doesn't drop the ball!