As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

Janet Zarish's hairstyle is...tragic.

I wish they hadn't phased out the bookstore.  That seemed like such an interesting and workable locale.  Who knows?  As the years progressed, it could've been expanded into a bookstore/coffeehouse, when that trend started catching on.

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Maybe Millee Taggart who ended up after that period being named HW with Tom King (her partner at the time). Had Millee ever been listed in any writer credits before the 81 strike?  I always looked at new writer hires on the soaps after the strikes ended as they were likely the scab writers. i.e. in 1988 P&G hired nearly the entire crew of strike writers: Swajeski, Iacubuzio, Leahy, Nerissa Radel, Michael Zazlow and his wife Susan Hufford.

Also wondered if they after drafted Don Hastings to write during the strike since he had been a soap writer in 50s and 60s.

Edited by RavenWhitney

• Members

I wished ATWT would have stayed closer to its homespun roots instead of trying to go all Glam.  The soaps all insisted on going 'Big 80s' and I think it was a big mistake for the budgets down the road. Sure, it added glamor and seemed to be in keeping with the times back then but when you really think about it, it turned out to be completely unsustainable and gave the impression that the sets had to get even more grandiose over time in order to keep up, when it reality, a good clean refurbished set might have been as good or better.

I am currently watching a few episodes from 1994 and the sets are big and grandiose but they did not age well.  Fashions looks awful and garish. Then again, the clothes are boxy and terrible too.

• Members

Jill Lorie Hurst said the same thing on the GL Facebook page. The 80s and 90s blew the budgets on all the shows.

What a bad recast for Natalie and a really dumb storyline...( a movie filmed in Oakdale, how did they think they were going to work Natalie in long term? I  had thought that about the bookstore...make it a coffee house bookstore and the town would all come in.. Fashions was kind of limiting as only women would go there and it just didnt seem to be a good gathering spot.

Why did the Dobsons leave the first time?

• Members

THE BARBARAS BEFORE:  

Judi Rollin 1970

(Judi was also on SECRET STORM in 1970, probably after ATWT)

Please register in order to view this content

Barbara Stanger 1970

(Barbara was on LOVE IS A MANY SPLENDORED-THING in 1972)

Donna Wandrey 1971-72

(Donna had just departed DS)

Which Barbara was allegedly anorexic?

Which Barbara pursued stepfather Bob inappropriately?

Colleen Zenk said that upon Barbara’s return to Oakdale in 1978, she had to apologize to every member of the Hughes family for weeks on end. 

• Members

The time lines for the original Barbara's are somewhat of a mystery.

Geraldine Court came on as Jennifer in Dec 71 as announced in Variety who also note Donna Wandrey as Barbara Dec 15th 1971.

So maybe Judi Rollin and Barbara Stanger were on for only a few days each as Barbara or Barbara was seen onscreen before her mother.

Perhaps a dying Chuck Ryan was seen first with his kids and Jennifer was talked about and not seen.

Barabara was written as a love interest for Tom iit must have been short lived as he married Carol in July 72.

Irna Phillips returned in January 72 and brought back Carol and obviously was not interested in Barbara as she was dropped and forgotten.

Then when Barbara finally returned, her brother Rick was forgotten for several years.