• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Linc was so BLAND. James Wlcek was so smoldering on RH.  Marcy was an interesting bad girl. But had no staying power or long term impact. The never ending Crawford murder case. Seems to be going around in circles. For some reason i thought the Scott Eldridge story started earlier. 

Edited by victoria foxton

• Members

Don't forget about brain dead Holden.

I find a great deal of '92 to be fascinating and sort of see it as a second wind for Marland's run, but it was the worst time for him to die (not that was ever a good time), as he left the show in such a bleak place - it would have taken a great deal of careful work to slowly move back into a more positive era. That never really happened and by the nadir of '96, the show was just grimy and sour and trashy, which is mostly where they'd stay until the end. 

Marcy could have been a fun character. I remember when she came back in '94, briefly, Michael Logan was happy as he said she could add some kind of life to the show. Didn't really happen.

I liked Wlcek's Linc but he was too wasted on angst and paternity drama and so on. The fling with Lily was hot though.

• Members

I watched a bunch of episodes from 1994 and I honestly think that the cast and crew must have been in mourning after Marland's death because in most of the episodes, almost everyone looks to be wearing black or dark colors of some sort. I remember watching an episode where the sole person wearing any color was Shannon, who was wearing a red dress. Everyone else was in various hues of black black and white, dark greys and browns. The makeup and hair looked so severe and I've already given my opinion on how drab and dour I thought the sets looked.

Am I wrong to think that once the show hit the mid-90s, there just weren't a whole lot of places for the Holden character to go, storywise?

I know it's kind of sacrilege to say it but I found Dusty to be a much more interesting character in terms of story possibilities. Also, can I say it? Brian Bloom was just a flat-out better actor.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

I agree about Brian and also about Dusty (I guess he would have left no matter what but I do wonder what might have been). Holden was a played out character, which is one of the reasons Marland did the brain damage story in the first place. He just spent those last few years chasing after Lily and looking foolish. I think Hensley's general charm as an actor increased as he got older, making Holden more tolerable to me, but he was never a very compelling character once they moved past his bad boy days.

• Members

Watching the partial 1992 episode, I'm reminded again of what a fun, hot, bitchy character Evan was, especially before he got lumbered with that waste of space Rosanna. I will never understand the decision to fire him. 

Otherwise the best part of the episode is getting to see Nancy in more stern mode. Marland generally wrote her as being warmer and not going all over the canvas judging everyone like the old days, so moments like this, and her reaction to the Adam paternity lies, are very special indeed. It was also a way for him to show viewers when something was clearly a bad idea, which is needed since, as the very clever dialogue between Andy and Lisa reminds us, Oakdale was drowning in paternity lies in these years. 

• Members

Watching back so much of the early 90s has been great. Marland s  early 90s had way too many murder mysteries. One after the other. I wonder If that's why ATWT at that time had a ceiling in the ratings? I mean they were good but could've been even higher. I don't recall Marland doing so many deaths on GL

ATWT had a lot of great talent and so much was wasted on bad pairings or lack of story...Evan Walsh being one of them.

Why bring in the talented MKA just to kill her off? 

And recasting Melanie Emily with Kelly's version was so wrong.  Laurence Caso was responsible for that.

OMG! When is this?  

Edited by Soapsuds

• Members

I think MKA only agreed to do the role if it was short-term. 

I don't think the show was as tightly executed under Caso as it was under Calhoun. No one ever gave Calhoun enough credit, and it was clear Caso was riding on Marland's coattails when he was suddenly faced with difficult task of guiding the show post-Marland. For some reason, if they had Calhoun, I don't think this period may have been as rocky...

Edited by BetterForgotten

The only murder mysteries Doug did on GL were Lucille's, Diane's and Joe's. ATWT had way way more. The only dud being Carolyn's.

MKA only agreed to do 6 months. Which was a real shame. I really liked Neal. But had she stayed. I don''t know if the character would've fared well after Doug's passing. Royce didn't fare well after Doug's passed. 

Edited by victoria foxton