Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I love that cover too. Back when those soap digests weren't afraid to put 4 people over 50 on their cover! And the poses look more relaxed, less generic than they do on today's soap mag covers, where everyone now seems to pose in the stereotypical soap shot poses.

Has Heather Rattray been doing any acting recently? I was hoping that they would have asked her to reprise the role of Lily after Martha left but perhas she was no longer acting at that time. I wouldn't have minded Lucy Deakins either but I read somewhere that she is a visual artist and left the acting profession some time ago. No offense to Noelle but I just wasn't feeling her in that role.

@Amybrickwallace, that's lovely that you got your photographs autographed by Elizabeth Hubbard! Unlike the fairly uptight, tightly-wound and high maintenance Lucinda Walsh, Elizabeth always comes across as laid back and self assured.

I was watching this PBS documentary about the movie Giant with Elizabeth Taylor, Rock Hudson and James Dean and this woman mentions that she was living in the town where parts of the movie were filmed and as an 11 year old girl she encountered Elizabeth Taylor (who was on a break between filming scenes) and she asked Taylor for her autograph and Taylor told her "No". The woman laughed at the recollection but I wonder how she as an 11 year old girl felt about that.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

I hadn't gone back to watch some of the 1983 episodes that had poor sound/video quality, but I decided to today. As always it's so odd to see the show in this era - it has many long stretches of dullness mixed with OTT melodrama and ridiculous Moroder electronica. Take Tom's opening statement, which goes on far longer than I had expected (it's about 8-10 minutes), but is undercut by that ridiculous music.

That music also mars the final scenes here, but these are otherwise some compelling scenes with Tom cross-examining Margo on the witness stand. It's SO hammy and SO hyperbolic but the electricity and the strong bond between Margaret Colin and Justin Deas makes it work. I love the part where he has to stop at one point to go put his head down, because it's killing him so much.

Margo was so different from most previous ATWT heroines (as was Tom with previous leading men), it's still a surprise to me sometimes that they were so embraced. Maybe it's because there just wasn't a lot else to watch on the canvas at that point, other than James, and Steve/Betsy/Craig (which I have to admit I find extremely unpleasant as a viewer).

• Members

Not what I've seen of it, no. Betsy seems passive and twitchy, I never liked Steve, and Craig's behavior is so hostile - he repeatedly comes close to getting violent with Betsy.

The best thing I can say is this story allowed for a bit role for the woman who played psycho housekeeper Molly Sherwood on EON.

• Members

Understandable. IMO, the characters seemed to be better once they broke apart. At least Craig did. I just hate what Hogan & Jean did to him in later years.

Did you like Betsy when Lindsay Frost played her? From what little I've seen, she seemed add something different to the role of Betsy than Meg Ryan did. She wasn't so mousy and meek.

• Members

I loved Lindsay's work as Betsy. Warm, intelligent, strong. I really liked her voice. I can understand why Meg Ryan fans would not have cared for the changes in the role.

Anyway, someone posted this a few weeks back. It's some 1983 footage - Margo/Tom happy and making a baby, Margo learning of John's "death" (probably the cruelest thing he ever did to her) at her engagement party, Ellen melting down, Barbara and Gunnar fleeing the asylum where James was keeping her, James and his creepy flunky strongarming Miranda Marlow's daughter Bilan. That's the first time I've seen her. Based on that wooden acting no wonder she didn't stay around long.

Edited by DRW50