As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

Other than the aspect of what happened in their personal lives off screen would find its way into the story? She didn't have any chance to get into specific examples due to Alan's strategic bulldozing of the conversation. He didn't even ask what it was like to work with the actors who made up Oakdale's first onscreen Black family. It was a missed opportunity.

Hell, he didn't even ask what it was like to have met Jermaine Jackson and Whitney Houston!

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

It's always so painful

Please register in order to view this content

. I was shocked that I watched until the end but Pinkins also talked about her theater work which always interests me, she spilled some tea about a falling out she and theater director George C. Wolf had that apparently lasted a few years and how, when they worked together years later, he was going to fire her but didn't by what she described as mere happenstance.

With a better class of interviewer I could only imagine how much more in depth the discussion could have been. 

I was surprised that there wasn't more time given to her time in AMC but I got the sense that her statement that she really only had one storyline that belonged to her character might have made Alan uncomfortable somehow.

I guess this is the best we can ever expect from him.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

It's interesting to see that this B&B episode is soon to be posted on their YouTube channel. I missed a number of these episodes when they originally aired because I was in between the frenzy of having graduated from 8th grade to the frenetic start of high school.  It's interesting to have a look ahead from the current B&B uploads where Brooke is still pregnant and looking forward to a wedding with Ridge and her, me not remembering how it all came apart. Fun to see how it unfolds.

Speaking of having things unfold, there are multiple storylines in different stages on ATWT. This was back when writers still knew how to layer their stories. I especially appreciated how exposition was laid out in a manner that felt organic. Barbara telling Hal about her early separation from Paul and how it has led to her feeling as if she has had to make up for lost time, which makes her appear possessive of Paul. Hal seeing the parallels in aspects of her story with his current situation with Adam and Tom and Margo. While Craig explains to Ellie his unseamly history with Lucinda and how it has led to her feeling possessive of him, with Sierra's happiness being the only factor that got Lucinda to change eventually.

So interesting to see Paul and Emily's ONS, realizing that that night will have massive reverberations that lead to a big Labor Day blowout episode that has consequences leading all the way up to Thanksgiving and the rest of the year.

And the introduction of Lily's first husband Derrick H. Mason (couldn't catch his full name that he introduced himself as, I guess he was trying to connote social 'breeding' by introducing himself with 3 names). All the players for that "explosive" storyline were in that one space at the same time, Lucinda's courtyard. I do like when ATWT used to at least make an effort to have exterior scenes that distinguished between the daytime and the evening.  When you think about these exterior evening scenes that happened at the Hughes or the Walsh mansion or Barbara's courtyard or even the farm, it's a world of difference in detail of lighting and set up from where the show would be in the last twelve years, with the ghostly artificial settings, where even outside, somehow you couldn't distinguish between night or day with the garish lighting.

It was cool to see an actual "lineup" of CBS shows, complete with the assortment of highly dated commercials, some of whom have vanished, like that odd wine cooler ad and those ads for distasteful microwave and canned/boxed meals. Hamburger Helper should have been sued for trying to lay claim to "authentic" Italian taste.

Edited by DramatistDreamer
Her, not me. Why, Ridge isn't even my type!

• Members

The perks of a series that is still on air, produced by a company that actually still wants people to watch their content.

JMO but I also think that ATWT collectors (IDK about GL) are more prone to hoarding and profiteering than Y&R/B&B collectors who are more inclined to share and exchange ideas in order to preserve and present the highest quality uploads for their archive. Hell, the fact that collectors got together in order to build an archive in the first place says a lot already. A decade later there's ATWT collectors on YouTube trying to charge fans for "edits" of their favorite couples (in reality, only one or two couples) and the rest are guarding their uploads, despite those uploads being in less than stellar visual quality.

I don't get it either.

• Members

Someone posted a full four hours worth of CBS Daytime lineup from 1986 on YouTube. Unfortunately, they left out Y&R (probably to avoid being cited for copyright violation) and the episode of ATWT had already been posted elsewhere on YouTube years ago. The lineup wasn't one that I recognized, so either it was pieced together or from a completely different part of the country, with a different time zone from the Northeastern one where I grew up. The video was uploaded a year ago.

• Members

No, I haven't seen this one. It was a different channel, but I think the channel of which I speak did the same type of episode splicing. I don't like this because it's not a true lineup from a definite date.

Geez, why can't P&G let a clearinghouse deal with their soaps archives?

EDT.

Just looked at the video on the app instead of on the embedded post and you're exactly correct, this is the channel!

I don't know why it looks so clear on the app than it does embedded in this post. Oh well, it's the same video and that episode of ATWT is of no better visual quality than the others uploaded to YouTube. (*sighs*)

• Members

Thanks for posting this, I hadn’t seen this uploaded before. The episode in some ways epitomizes what I loved and hated about Marland (especially 90s Marland) -layered stories, clearly planned stories, community, but awful couples and too much politeness.