GH: August Discussion Thread

• Members

GH has turned Lulu into a traitorous, hyprocritical little shrew. Dante's influence has ruined her character so much. And now she's starting to apologize to people like Nik and Spinelli, and I agree she comes off as so fake. She only trusts and confides in Dante now, and no one else, not even her family. Lulu & Dante are beyond nauseating, I hate what this has turned Lulu into. I can't stand them together. I do think Dante works well with other characters still, though.

• Replies 872
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Let's be fair to Dante -- Lulu was a traitorous, hypocritical little shrew long before he ever showed up. Remember her barking at Lucky (and hilariously the show STILL doesn't give a crap about their relationship even with the golden boy back in the role) that she would choose Johnny over him any time?

Lulu is the walking, squawking symbol of the death of the Spencer family.

• Members

It's the lack of chemistry between them and the show's efforts to glue them together even though they don't work as a couple. The relationship has a lot of control issues. Then there's Brook Lyn, who is a very poor interloper, and also reinforces how stale the whole thing is. It's also kind of odd that a couple with as much baggage as these two would have in real life only have a story where Carly schemes to break them up.

GH doesn't know how to do romance so when they try romance this is what they come up with.

• Members

That is certainly a big part of the problem. GH can no longer write for any romance beyond the initial first meeting -- where once it excelled at writing the swooniest and chemistry-filled pairings.

But a small part of the problem is Julie Berman herself who, despite her ability to bark out her lines at 100 mph, cannot generate anything but negative chemistry with those around her. She has effectively tanked any pairing thrown her way. Sheesh, when I remember her scenes with Logan and, later, Johnny *shudder* Thank god they didn't fire Brandon Barash on the basis of that failed pairing alone. Her "big" love scene with Dante was a giant wall of suck as she lay there unblinking and emotionless while Dante ran his hands all over her in a frenzied attempt to warm her lifeless body.

• Members

LOL.... I love all things Spencermaine, but I have to agree that Lulu is a cold fish. She does have chemistry - just not romantic chemistry. The problem is that she's not a generator, she's a giver when she gets some (Maxie/Lulu; Luke/Lulu; Tracy/Lulu).

Personally I think TPTB should dump Sam and try Jason/Lulu.... if nothing else they can include Spinelli for a mental three-way.

• Members

Lulu and Dante are insufferable. Not only are both characters awful but the writing for them is atrocious. Lulu is a glorified bed warmer who only ever talks about Dante and does Dante.

I'm at the point where I want both of them to fall off a cliff.

• Members

Intersting points of view...

i do not think that Berman lacks chem with Dom, or really anyone. I think she has a very nice realistic chem with everyone she is involved with, tho her best chem is with Storms, but thats a case of real life friednship, so thats why. I think her and Tony have great dad.daughter chem and she works well with JJ & Tyler. I have liked her romantic pairings, until they became bad due to writing, but not her chem.

I do think she went through a very lazy phase, as most good young actors do on soaps now sadly, but i think she has moved past it. She is a great actress.

For me at least, my issue with lulu and lulu/dante have nothing to do with acting. It is all in the writing. Lulu is selfish, always has been, but when she is spewing out an apology to spinelli and saying "we were at one time close" and then just expecting him to be her bff again the next line its hard to watch. When she has stated time after time, and backed up with actions, that dante will always come first, it is hard for me to feel for her with carly going after her. etc, etc, etc..

• Members

I definitely agree with all of this. No doubt she has chemistry with everyone she interacts with, and she is a good Actress, has 2 Emmys to prove it lol. I have liked all of her relationships also (even with Dante at first, until things got the way they are today), though I liked her with Johnny the most. For me, GH always starts well with relationships, and then ruins them.

• Members

BREAKING NEWS

This week on GENERAL HOSPITAL:

Carly and Lulu fight! Carly calls Lulu out on Dante's behavior, calling him scum! Lulu makes a snarky remark about Michael, and Carly Bitch slaps her! Lulu falls and hits her head!

Carly FLEES the scene, just as Dante arrives! He immediately calls 911, but there's a ROAD BLOCK! He carries Lulu to his car, to drive her to the ER, but it's broken down! So he throws her on his back, and piggy back's her through the park and to GH...

But WAIT, just as he reaches the overview, his shoe comes untied! He trips and Lulu is flung from his shoulders, clear over the cliff and to her death!

Losing the thing that meant the most to him, Dante decides to try and make peace with sonny. HOWEVER, as he walks into Sonny's house he hears Sonny telling Michael that he will ALWAYS be ahead of Dante in Sonny's eyes, as Dante betrayed him.

Dante, now defeated, returns to the overview, and lunges himself to a long, painful death.

• Members

Brad Rowe is a hot piece of... something delicious!

The writing does neither Lulu nor JMB any favors. Agreed. And GH is just loathe to support any of their couples because the Big Men on their A-List seem to think that acting in romance stories is beneath them. Whereas Stomping Around, Smashing Barware, Shooting Guns and Being All Dark and Existential is Oscar material (note I don't use the term Emmy material because Emmy material is any old trash on a reel).

However, I strongly believe that some pairings work despite the writing. Obvs this is different strokes for different folks, but IMO Lisa LoCicero and BB go above and beyond the call of duty to fill their few scenes together with small touches that indicate they are mad hot for each other. Similarly, TG and JE suffuse moments of real tenderness amid the one-dimensional writing that makes them look like buffoons.

JMB is unable to illicit any feelings beyond learning her lines. I get that she and DZ may have a nice working relationship -- certainly the distatste she felt for the guy playing Logan is not evident here. But beyond spouting her lines and giggling at DZ's ad-libs, I get... nothing. They are nice. But there is no heat. She's not giving that little bit extra. I think Julie is just not good with romantic chemistry (Peter Bergman on Y&R isn't either, and that hasn't stopped him from winning a clutch of awards).

Finally, if GH ever decide to "go there" with Ethan and Kristina and craft a beautiful first-love story -- where Kristina is finally able to love a boy for the first time without Keifer/dad issues [!@#$%^&*] up her feelings, and Ethan finally falls head-over-heels for this maddening, stuck-up, tortured yet incredibly bright and sweet girl -- GH could have something extremely special on their hands. Two reject Spencer/Cassadines, if you will. JMO.

• Members

I totally agree with this.

However, I would have to recast Kristina if I were TPTB. IMO, Lexi Ainsworth LOOKS like a 15 year old. No older...And even if they all the sudden said she was 18, it would creep me out with LA in the role, because she looks SO young, and Nathan Parsons looks at least late-twenties, 30, ish.

• Members

Give it a year, and no doubt sweet little Lexi will be looking as botoxed aand spray-tanned as the rest of Young Hollywood's LiLo wannabes.

I kid, I kid. Ainsworth does look her 18 years (imagine that! And what a relief!) but these are the years when she will no doubt blossom very quickly. Since Brenda is going to be hogging all of GH's screentime for the next year at least, plenty of time for Kristina to transition into college where she finds out she's not the Brightest Kid in Class anymore. And where I could see the Ethan/Kristina friendship blossoming into something more without it being all EWWWW. After all, Ethan is meant to be around Lulu's age.

Archived