June 21-25, 2010

Toups

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Unfortunately for AMC, though, they're down in the only ratings that matter in daytime: women 18-49. OLTL is slightly up in that demo. (To put this in perspective, AMC could have 50 million viewers, but it STILL wouldn't make a difference to how much it could charge for advertising if they weren't in the coveted 18-49 demo).

Households and viewers may make for great bragging rights, but they mean nothing when it comes to selling ad time and canceling shows.

• Members

I don't think anybody thinks AMC is "soo safe," no soap except for Y&R is "soo safe." This shouldn't be an AMC vs OLTL thing, this is a matter of survival for all soaps. I hope to see all six remaining soaps stay on the air for years and turning on each other's soaps does nothing to help that.

Agree that AMC's demos need to go up.

• Members

I think it's a given that all the networks are getting out of the soap business, totally, not long from now. At ABC, just as at the other nets, they're not going to dump them all at once; too risky. Instead, they're going to go one-by-one. Based on current ratings, GH will almost certainly be the last one standing, barring some huge collapse. But if the demos stay the way they are, no way will OLTL go before AMC. It doesn't make sense financially, and it's not justifiable to the "highers-up" at ABC for Frons to cancel the higher-rated show. Not to mention, OLTL and GH are more linked than AMC/GH or even AMC/OLTL at this point. OLTL/GH have similar median ages, which are lower than AMC. OLTL/GH air back-to-back, and OLTL provides a better lead-in to GH than AMC. And OLTL/GH have more active younger fans, as witnessed by the four finalists in the Emmy "Best Show Ever" fan poll, where OLTL and GH were in, and AMC was out.

Now....OLTL won't last more than 2-3 years after AMC goes....but no way OLTL goes before AMC unless AMC gains back A LOT of those lost women 18-49 viewers (which still could happen....but right now...nuh-uh...AMC will go first).

• Members

^^^^^^^I have no clue as to which one will go first, but everything you've said Carolyn makes sense. Now, will ABC do the thing that makes sense? Anyway, at the point I'm not worried about any of them, although I could care less about AMC and GH.

Archived