June 21-25, 2010

Toups

• Members

I wouldn't attempt to predict a date of when any get cancelled because no one knows, but I don't think B&B is going anywhere. The thing with CBS is, they are fickle. They've cancelled soaps in the past that had good ratings, so who knows?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If ABC decides to cancel AMC before OLTL, fans cant say ABC didnt do anything to save it. I mean they got new writers, moved the show to LA to cut costs, and put it in HD. If OLTL got cancelled first, the excuse ABC didnt do anything is accurate because they havent done much to save it. If bringing back Kelly Cramer was their way of trying to boost ratings, then thats just sad.

CBS renewed Y&R and B&B until 2012. lol

• Members

CBS is also apparently slashing Y&R's licensing fees again, so their ratings mean nothing. As much as people think it's safe, it's not. These shows just aren't profitable to the networks anymore, especially the CBS soaps since they don't own their soaps outright like ABC does.

• Members

We are all just being realistic. After witnessing/seeing GL and ATWT cancelled ...the remaining soaps dont have much time left.

Soaps are dying. The awful Emmy Awards are proof!! No one cares anymore to cover them except for cheap outlets!

• Members

It's reality. The soaps suck and will be gone soon.

DAYS is the only soap left on the air that I still care about, the others have either been ruined far beyond repair or I haven't watched long enough to care that much when it gets canned.

I wish Days had moved up. :(

And I don't think AMC moving to LA, makes it safe. Those demos are horrible, I dont care what soap has name recognition, OLTL deserves to outlive it if they can continue to stay ahead in the demos. It just wouldnt make any sense. I totally agree with Carolyn.

• Members

I agree it doesn't make it safe. Just think outside of the box. ABC didn't want to cancel either one. That's why AMC made the move. Frankly without it, one of them was going to go off the air.

Anyway, I don't want to see either of them do badly, so here's to hoping things pick-up.

• Members

Very true, and neither does it matter that Y&R is #1 either. People are so in denial if they think Y&R being #1 will save them, when in fact, it hurts them because the network then expects big things.When people start getting on LM's case to cancel these "money-making cows"....oh wait, they are not making CBS that much money at all (or perhaps they are losing money), he is going o have to re-think strategy. Suddenly these "special shows" won't be so special anymore.

• Members

As a fan (and as a fan of CBS) I would like them to stay on, but they are not going to survive not in the format they are in now. It is just not working anymore. Look at B&B, they have won Best Drama for 2 years running and in the US their viewership # and ratings have dropped. Let's see if they get a big boost from this year's win - bet they won't.

The fact that CBS moved the Emmys to Las Vegas this year tells me 2 things, they are trying to cut costs and wants soaps to be more "with the times". That may or may not appeal to most longtime soap fans and I think this is where we have the "culture clash". And unfortunately, message boards are just a tiny part of the viewing audience - we may say here that we want soaps to stay on but the larger viewing audience out there are not speaking the same language. I want to see these #s to keep going up in and be consistent about it. I want them to make me want to watch these shows on a consistent basis by any means necessary.

• Members

Ratings are basically in line with last week with GH gaining a slight bit. I'm shocked ATWT gained so many viewers considering there are no 'vet' returns and blah storylines. I was off on B&B, thought the curren Brooke story would bring old fans back.

Archived