June 21-25, 2010

Toups

• Members

ATWT is moving upwars at a quicker pace than B&B which rarely has ever happened. I have no idea what the reason is for this upswing; however, I could see ATWT up in the 1.8 or even 1.9 position by mid-summer. Funnly, ATWT is basically in a tie with 'special soaps' that get a lot of promo. I wonder how well the show could do with some TLC in the form of new writers and production.

BTW, was thinking about how a retooled B&B would be a great prime time show for maybe MY network if they were to make it into something like a 2 hour 'movie of the week'. I'm thinking it would be a never ending telenovela.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've never believed that Frons purposefully tries to kill any show, especially now with SoapNet gone. I think he's simply bad at his job. His arrogance, tunnel-vision and micromanagement don't stem from bad intentions just the opposite. He's like a child who thinks coloring on the wall is art.

• Members

Actually I doubt that the advertisers are interested in weekly demo numbers I am more certain that when presented the numbers are presented y-t-d which makes the numbers look better. AMC numbers y-t-d are better than or equal to OLTL. I am also guessing that soap viewership ad dollars rely on more than the 18-49 demo since much ads during that time are focused on the older gen, abcd probably sells their ad time by the block from 1-3 with advertisers choosing when they wish their ads to be shown. The median age for soap viewship is over 49, I think the networks realize that they are never going to capture that younger audience an 1.1-1.2 demo is not pulling in the ad dollars as seen by all the budget cuts.

OLTL being safer than AMC I doubt that not just because of the move, but due to other outside factors. All those whispers rumors are not for nothing. The only safe show on abcd is GH

• Members

This is it in a nutshelll no soap nowadays is making enough money for any network especially with cheaper shows matching or doing better in the ratings. Networks are probably just waiting for the next best thing to put on in their place.

All this talk about how Frons is purposely tanking OLTL is just fan excuses for the show doing poorly. Why would the man want to lessen his position with the network it is to his advantage if his daytime lineup remains three soaps and the view especially with talks of the view going syndicated and him already losing soapnet. Besides the fact that Frons has no power to cancel a show people are giving this man too much credit,

• Members

Eh..Emmy wins don't equal to ratings bumps. The last ratings bumb after a Emmy win I can remember is ATWT in 91. It didn't hurt that the stories were damn good back in 91. Since then I havent noticed any soap get a boost in ratings after winning the Emmy for best soap.

I am noticing more promos for ATWT during the Y&R hour dont know if that helps. But I think ATWT using more of Lucinda and Barbara has helped. The have been featured more now then they have in a long time.

• Members

The vets on ATWT don't always make the show go up in the ratings. Look at Julianne Moore's return as Frannie that episode had all the vets and it was the lowest rated day of the week so I don't think people are just watching for the vets. Maybe people are finally starting to come back because the show is going off in September maybe not.

• Members

You just know all the soaps suck right now when the biggest and most talked about storyline is whether AMC will get cancelled before OLTL. Anytime the backstage drama is more interesting, it's bad news for the show(s).

• Members

Julianne was only one episode. Lucinda and Barbara have been featured for weeks now. I don't think people are turning in because it is ending. Fans didnt return to GL during the summer it was ending. The ratings wer in the 1.4 range. They didnt return until the last week when GL ended with a 1.9 rating and had a high of 2.2 for one of those days.

• Members

For me it did the exact opposite. I was holding on to B&B by a thread and this story finally broke it. I wouldn't have minded if it had been Donna or Katie against Steffy, but not Brooke. She has been fighting with Stephanie all these years, and to see her being brought down (albeit temporarily) by a twit like Steffy is not entertaining for me.

• Members

Thanks for proving what I said. The fact is the Emmys are supposed to help create interest in not just handing out awards but to actually attract viewers to watch soaps. At least I think that is what they are trying to do LOL! :lol: As someone said in an earlier post I think CBS is trying to find the next big thing that can make them money or save them money. They probably are already doing just that and we are in the "stalling" mode. I would feel a bit better if I could see some visible investments from the network but since they don't own their shows, oh well. Heck just this week alone, CBS lost about $2 Billion in their market cap.

Archived