Over-Hyped Daytime Actors & Actresses

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Herbst has been nominated for at least two Emmys and is almost always makes the prenoms. Her fans (especially the Liason ones) pimp her to high heaven and raise tons of money to buy her ridiculous gifts (I remember one story about them all buying her jewelry from Tiffany's and several other extremely expensive gifts). She and her pairings are also always at the top or near the top of those reader polls that are in the magazines.

Somebody must hype Alderson because everytime I cut on OLTL, she's one there and constantly on the front burner.

• Members

This is basically the exact same comment I always have about Stacy Haiduk- Patty would have been such a fun, dynamic, multi-dimensional villainess had they given the part to an actress like Robin Mattson. Given, it would have been sort of redundant considering her AMC run as Janet, but still....

Not entirely true- Nelson Branco & especially Carolyn Hinsey act as though she's God's overlooked gift to the Younger Actress category. AND, it's kind of hard to say that her show overhypes her when she was basically the main younger actress in 2009 & they denied her a pre-nom.

AMEN!

Carolyn Hinsey.

• Members

clinton-wince.png

Don't forget my personal favorite -- hopping taxis across town.

Amen! I heard a "rumor" that Zimmer Lite: Laura Wright was putting a bug in ABC's ear to cast Tom Pelphrey as DANTE?!?

Or the way he literally dismisses his co-stars with a shake of the head or turning away from them while they're speaking.

:lol: Stormsie Wormsie is a combination of speed and helium. <_<

Thank you. I think she is one of the most useless "actresses" in daytime.

• Members

I think it was somewhat this.

I also think it was the fact that we had to endure years and years of Biancas ranging from plain (Chabert) to annoying(the little girl that burned down Linden by setting fire to her Jack doll)to downright horrific (the one with the buck teeth). The Diary of Anne Frank one that "helped" Susan get the Emmy was overhyped to the point it went to her head.

When ER came, it was like a breath of fresh air. She was green at first, but really settled in and showed her mettle when it came time. I was OK with coming and going and coming and going; if a character isn't needed on the canvas, why keep them around (ahem, Randi).

And with that said, I think Lind is doing a nice job steppping into the role, and I think she will bring us more of an Erica side to Bianca than a Mona.

• Members

Vanessa Marcil is way over-rated and I am still not sure why. Yes, she is beautiful but so are the other 5,000 Brenda- look-a-likes on has graced GH. She also isn't that strong of an actress based on her prime time and made-for-tv-movies projects. VM should be grateful that she came on the scene when she did and that Prince wrote a song about her, because I seriously doubt she would make that great of an impression if she was a newbie.

• Members

I agree that Marcil is overrated, but she has a certain charisma, sort of like Susan Lucci has, that makes you want to watch her in spite of her limited acting skills. Plus, when she came on, she was thrown into a hot romance with Antonio Sabato Jr's Jagger and, while she wasn't the girl to root for in her triangle (Karen was to most fans), man, were those two ever smokin together. Had they not paired her with Jagger from jump, it's unlikely she would have ever ended up with Sonny.

• Members

Seeing Evangeline mentioned in the Worst Storylines thread reminded me of how over-hyped Renee Elise Goldsberry was. I'm all for minority actresses in daytime, but REG & Evangeline had to be the dullest character ever to grace OLTL, considering how colorful the characters on that canvas really are. Without mentioning the obvious (Victoria Rowell, queen of black daytime actresses, arguably queen of Y&R), give me Tamara Tunie or Marie Alice Recastner over REG any day.

• Members

I can't pretend that I was a regular viewer at the time, but I do remember thinking that REG was being oddly celebrated, she quickly became this darling of daytime. I'm guessing that there was a charm, a charisma there that loyal fans of OLTL picked up on. I didn't get anything spectacular from the scenes I saw her in, but then again, here you had a character with some sense in her head who could handle both Todd and John without appearing weak or dimwitted aaaand perhaps I've answered my own inquiry right there. :lol: I caught her guest hosting on The View back then and you could just feel the love for this woman as she sang at the show's close. I think her Broadway talents certainly made her more appealing and brought her more fans to her daytime gig.

• Members

Herbst is rightfully hyped, imho. she gets credit when credit is due. she is solid and selivers the [!@#$%^&*] gives her.

Frons was after him.

Marcil is deserving. Nobody really says she is the greatest actress ever, just that she is really good at playing Brenda and, imho, she is. She has great chem and just has as you said a certain charisma.

Also, she brought in like 1million viewers to gh who left with her. She deserves the hype.

• Members

I liked REG. I didn't get the hype though. However, she wasn't any better or any worse than that awful Bree Williamson or average Melissa Archer so it was good to see an African American actress other Victoria Rowell get some attention for once.

• Members

Rebecca Herbst: Whatever promise she had during the rape storyline has fizzled to baby-voiced whining. She can't do sexy. It's like she has to oversell, and she just falls short.

Maurice Benard and Steve Burton: Need I elaborate?

Lisa Rinna as Billie. Never got the hype. I thought she sucked.

Alison Sweeney. She can cry, I will give her that. But that is as far as it goes.

This one will get me stoned: Susan Lucci. She has gotten far in terms of popularity and has the off-soap rep. But her acting is AWFUL.

Bradford Anderson! Spinelli should have been left as a sidekick tertiary character.

Anthony Geary since around 2003.

Archived