Over-Hyped Daytime Actors & Actresses

• Members

With Maura West prevailing over Crystal Chappell last night, and Michael Muhney's announced Emmy-bait episode, it got me thinking that generally, when the soap press hypes up an actor or actress, I usually don't like them. And, oddly enough, it rarely has anything to do with the actual hyping, but just that I never cared for them in the first place. Here are some actors lauded by the soap press over the years that I just don't care for:

Lesli Kay- for years, she could do no wrong in the soap journalists' eyes, but I've never understood her appeal

Michelle Stafford- I actually used to like Stafford, but IMO, she phones in A LOT of her performances & am sick to death of her politicking

Michael Muhney- he's just ok for me, I actually prefer Chris Engen, who I didn't even like that much while he was airing, but Muhney's one-note performance has made me re-evaluate

Erika Slezak- the soap press gushes about her to this day, but give me Susan Hayes or Susan Flannery over her any day. Robin Strasser consistently upstages her IMO.

Andrea Evans- I've long thought she was overrated and for my money, Karen Witter was the best Tina

Stacy Haiduk- I. Just. Don't. Get. It.

Thorsten Kaye- For the love of God, he's got to be the dullest, least charismatic leading man the soaps have ever seen. I will never understand the love affair the press & fans alike have with him.

Kim Zimmer- She overacts. I've always preferred subtlety in my actresses. Look no further than my avatar as proof of that.

Martha Byrne- I admit that I did like her as Rose, but have never found her to be anything special as Lily. Call me crazy but I much prefer Noelle Beck. At first I wasn't sure but IMO, she has really grown into the part.

Cady McClain- I have enjoyed her from time to time as Rosanna but detested her as Dixie on AMC.

Those are the ones that come to mind for now, but by all means, if you think of more, throw them out there. Seriously, though, none of these so-called stars have ever done it for me. I've always preferred actors that are underrated or ignored by the soap press- think Jess Walton, Katherine Kelly Lang, Sharon Case, Michael Park, Maura West, Don Diamont, Susan Seaforth Hayes, Nancy Lee Grahn, and Jon Hensley.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Y'know, in KZ's defense, in the '80's, Reva rocked. I just grew weary of the monstrous KZ hype that grew after her return in '95, '96. I'd really enjoyed the RevaLESS years of GL.

I grow tired of some actors when their character gets one note (like Lesli Kay, who couldn't WAIT to be rid of on ATWT, but then amazed at on B&B). So "big" stars like KZ, Jeanne Cooper and Susan Flannery fall in this category.

But the one real actor that I've watched (which excludes most ABC actors) and never understood the praise for is Sarah Brown. There's just nothing APPEALING to me about her. I can't see her having any ability to make a character sympathetic or rootable.

Oh...how could I forget HUNT BLOCK. HATE HIM.

• Members

Peter Bergman.

Zimmer.

Dee Hall.

Tony Geary.

Maurice Bernard & Steve Burton.

Vanessa Marcil.

Tom Eplin.

Eden Reigel.

Greg Rikaart.

Judith Chapman.

DANIEL GODDARD.

Scottie Pippen.

Giggly Heffa.

Shemar Moore.

Erika Slezak.

Julie Berman.

Jennifer Landon.

John Paul Lavoisier

Tuc Watkins

Kelly Missal

Michael Graziadei

Gina Tognoni

Michael Easton

Billy Miller

Liz Hendrickson

Adrienne Frantz

REBECCA BUDIG

Vincent Irizarry

Christian LeBlanc

Hunt Block

Susan Haskell

Roger Howarth

Marie Wilson

Erin Hershey Presely

Terri Colombino

Drake Hogestyn

Hunter Tylo

Jennifer Gareis

Jack Wagner

BRADFORD ANDERSON

Van Hansis

• Members

Peter Bergman.

Zimmer.

Dee Hall.-----I agree Deee

Tony Geary.

Maurice Bernard & Steve Burton.---The double combo...Ugh

Vanessa Marcil.

Tom Eplin.------yup

Eden Reigel.---oh dear gawd....talk about over hyped

Greg Rikaart.

Judith Chapman.

DANIEL GODDARD.----he just sucks period

Scottie Pippen.

Giggly Heffa.----hahahaha...her acting has gone downhill. I would say it was shitty writing but Maura had the same problem on ATWT.

Shemar Moore.

Erika Slezak.----I thought i was the only one who thought this

Julie Berman.

Jennifer Landon.

John Paul Lavoisier---another one who just sucks.....big time!

Tuc Watkins----whats the appeal in this one note shitty actor

Kelly Missal

Michael Graziadei

Gina Tognoni--eh...she is just ok as an actress..dont see the appeal

Michael Easton--he sucks

Billy Miller

Liz Hendrickson

Adrienne Frantz----ewwww....eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee....NO ..she is suckage

REBECCA BUDIG-----THE REAL GREENLEE IS BACK...NUFF SAID:lol:

Vincent Irizarry

Christian LeBlanc

Hunt Block----One liner Craig......ugh....I preferred him on KL.

Susan Haskell

Roger Howarth-----sucks donkey balls

Marie Wilson

Erin Hershey Presely----she sucks

Terri Colombino----she sucks

Drake Hogestyn---worst male actor in daytime TV....with some many close behind him though..like John Paul and Ronn Moss

Hunter Tylo

Jennifer Gareis

Jack Wagner

BRADFORD ANDERSON---ewwww...fugly and a shitty actor

Van Hansis:lol:---he was good until all the hype went to his [!@#$%^&*] or is it his head??

• Members

Eric Braedon. I do not get teh love for this man. He is capable of playing one emotion, anger and all that entails is him yelling. Yelling does not equal good acting and he doeesnt have much range

Katherine Kelly Lang. She's not that good and I find her acting techniques annoying. She's good at being weepy but thats about it.

Vanessa Marcil. The mags and EVERYONE in the soap press treat her like she's the second coming of the friggin messiah. ABC and GH treat her like she's a damn goddess. She is like the Queen of Daytime and I dont see what she's done to deserve that title. People get ready to lose their damn minds when she's around. You want to talk about an over hyped actress. This one takes the cake

• Members

Erika Slezak is overrated but she's like Susan Flannery. It depends a lot on the writing.

There are times where she's really effective (like helping Jess deal with Chloe's death) & there are times where she really phones it in (anything with her relatives not named Jess or Clint).

• Members

Rick Hearst owns this thread. He is the most talented actor, he is Olivier, he can do anything, he has emmys,...and yet it always come back to "he is criminally underused" and "why isn't he the lead?"?

The guy has no charisma whatsover, so all the talent in the world is meaningless. The same applies to a lesser extent to Nancy Lee Grahn.

Archived