2010 Daytime Emmy Awards: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

First of all, it's a pity the board was done, much bitchery could have been dished out.

These awards were truly the worst in the history of the Daytime Emmys. Either PBS broadcasts this sucker or nobody should, there was absolutely no dignity present in any shape or form. It was a long infomercial for the Las Vegas Hilton (a hotel that's seen better days by the way), Cirque du Soleil, Blue Man Group and all of Dick Clark's washed up Bandstand has beens.

Regis was a truly awful host. I can't blame the writers for his lame jokes, he approved them, if he had any taste he would have realized that they were all doomed to fail. If they wanted to hire a 70 something who could deliver a few zingers with a legitimate connection to Las Vegas, they should have hired Joan Rivers.

I don't watch ATWT, so I can't comment on Michael Park and Maura West's wins, though their speeches were good. There is no way that Julie Pinson deserved to win, that was Arianne Zucker's Emmy and it bothers me, a lot, that she lost. Billy Miller's long term prospects at Y&R are assured. Drew Tyler Bell's win was a shocker. Julie Berman's win was the easiest to call of the night.

The Dick Clark tribute was pointless. I didn't need to see Marie Osmond (who looks great!) warble 'Paper Roses' AGAIN.

So many nominees and bigger names didn't show, it was very telling about how D List the Vegas Emmys actually were. Ellen didn't show up and that woman doesn't miss the opening of a door!

ATWT was given a 1 minute video memorial of absolute shite. To top it off, the show was devoid of decent (and by decent, I mean cheesy and clip filled!) montages. When NBC hosted the Emmys it was FULL of montages about plenty of ridiculous topics (Food in Soaps being my fave, it was presented by a pre-gastric bypass Al Roker). The Best Drama 'montage' was interesting, B&B's was simply their Emmy submission storyline, Y&R's made the show look AMAZING (but we all know the truth, don't we MAB?), GH really nailed it and was terrific and AMC's was lame, but it got in as many Susan Lucci clips as humanly possible. Speaking of...

Susan Lucci was ridden hard and put away wet. The Emmys really used and abused that woman, she kept her teeth clenched in a perma smile, graciously thanked anything that wasn't nailed down and did her damn best to give daytime a glimmer of dignity in as many gowns as she could shimmy into...at least she looked good dripping in her 'working diamonds' (to quote Zsa Zsa Gabor) and the facelift is still holding beautifully.

Jeanne Cooper looked like a tie dyed acid trip in that swirly confection of hers. But that's comforting, Jeanne Cooper looked like Jeanne Cooper. Mu mu and all.

Scott McKinsey gave a very dignified acceptance speech for his marvelous work on GH and I thought it was very nice of him to give the P&G soaps a nod, as well as give his Emmy in tribute to his mother. Beverlee would have been very proud. She raised him well.

I am actually quite pleased for Brad Bell, not that I begrudge JFP another Emmy speech (I LOVE YOU COURTNEY PHELPS!) because, technically, she is an amazing producer with a vision and balls, because of how Over The Top Fabulous Campy Trashy Fun B&B is right now. Plus, he tapped Betty White's golden touch. I'm also glad that Kay Alden now has another gold statuette to add to her trophy case. It was truly delicious to see MAB so envious, I gleefully watched as Bill Jr and Lauralee threw immense support behind their brother while MAB slowly clapped and then sat down, a frozen expression of rage on her face, seeing her Emmy slip through her fingers once more.

All in all, this year's Emmy Awards were atrocious.

• Members

I thougt the Emmy's werre better this year then the past few.

I didn't need all the nonsense (such as The Blue Man Group, Lion Kind, Cirque de Soleil)...I LOVE Broadway and theater in general, but those actos have nothing to do with Daytime TV...Or TV at all...

Regis as a host wasn't as bad as I thought he would be. His jokes were bad, and his constant remarks about not winning anything were annoying..But there some entertaining moments. Letterman's little bit was dumb...

I wasn't very surprised by the couple minute add for the Hilton. I mean, the hotel WAS housing the show, which is usually done at a Theater all by itself. So I expected there to be an advertisement for the hotel. It was a bit long, but that's okay I guess. I kind of enjoyed the look into the big suite where the stars partied. So that didn't bother me too much.

The Dick Clark thing was ok...I guess he had a lot to do with Daytime. But honestly, I would have rather they just did a seperate show or special for him, aside from the Daytime Emmy's...But since they chose to do it this way, I can live with that. I enjoyed the clips/flashbacks they showed of Amerian Bandstand, and it was cute. However I didn't think we needed those clips AND seeing performers. I could have done with just having flashbacks, or just having performers...And I didn't need Ryan Seacrest so much. I would have just had a minute long montage of some highlights of the stars who were on bandstand, maybe narrated by seacrest. Then, if they insisted on having both, have a 2-4 minute long live performance of some alumni from the show, then have 30 seconds to a minute of Ryan talking to Dick....Easily could have been done in 5-6 minutes and stil lgot the message across, instead of what seemed like a half hour.

Agnes Nixon's tribute was very nice. I thought it was done well, but obviously could have been longer. However, I think it was a very appropriate tribute, and it was done well.

As the World Turn's tribute...It had good bones. It could have been a very nice tribute, and I was just starting to get into it when it ended. It was painfully short. What was it, a minute long? In my opinion, they should have cut out Blue Man Group, Circue du Soleil, and Lion King. All three of them were "presenters", but it took like three minutes for them to get the nominated shows/performs out there, and then another whole minute to show the clips of each show/actor....So it took like three to five minutes for the nominees to be shown and the winners to be announced. It should really only take a minute or two to list the nominees. If these things had been cut, presenting the nominees would have been a one or two minute thing, the winner would have spoke for two-three minutes, and we would have had a nice presentation in 4 minutes instead of 8, just to boast nonsense. If these "acts" had been cut, and the Dick Clark thing was signifificantly cut down, there could have been a good 30 minutes left to work with. Then we could have had a good 5-8 minute tribute to As the World Turns, and had plenty of time to show actual CLIPS of the actors performances when they were announced as nominees, instead of just speed reading their names.....And there would have also been able to space out the Best Show montages, and air the whole things. Similair to the Oscars...Someone comes out at the beginning and presents GH's montage, then later someone for B&B's, etc. etc....Then we could have built up the suspense of the winner, and actually SEEN why these actors/shows were nominated.

The show was good though, I suppose. It seemed nicely produced, and well organized. It felt as though all of the awards (soaps,gameshows, and talkshows alike) were a bit rushed for crazy dancing blue animal people and half hour tributes to a show that ended 20 years ago....Why are we just NOW getting a Dick Clark tribute.

So there's my opinion.

• Members

Hey SONers. First off I want to say thank you for watching yesterday's pre-show and/or the after show. I know that there was some technology glitches that were beyond our control but since this was our first time doing something like this, we know what we have to do for future recordings. Which of course will take some money so if anyone wants to start a fundraiser for us, that would be great. LOL.

The show went by so fast. You cannot imagine the chaos. First you have the fans cheering for pretty much everyone and anyone walking down the carpet, then you have all of the other reporters to the left and right doing their thing as we're all packed like sardines, behind us we have publicists who come to you with who they wanted you to talk to, and then you have the stars. It was so much insanity but definitely in a good way.

Errol and Jorge (the camera person) worked really hard. Errol's hands were typing a mile a minute to try to make the show look pleasing. Jorge was making sure I had the right info for anyone that was new. Then in my mind I'm thinking what kind of questions will I be asking. Am I positioned correctly? Smiling too much? Dang it's hot in here. What's this actor or actress's name? What do the fans want to know? What can I promote?

All and all I'm very proud of what we did. The three of us were a team. This for me was a dream come true. I'm glad that we were able to share it with all of you!

• Members

I'm glad I am not the only one who noticed that hateful look Maria gave to the stage when Brad won.

Also, I completely agree PBS should be hosting the Daytime Emmys. Strip this show down, bring back the Children's categories, beg your viewing audience to donate money for the next year's show every fifteen minutes(and you know these crazy ass soap fans will), get an underwriter(i.e. Procter and Gamble), and just go.

Otherwise, you are so right. Just do a press release.

• Members

What would be really awesome is if Brad left B&B to Kay/Michael Minnis(with a multi-year, ironclad contract) and pushed Maria the hell out of Y&R with Mosco, Bloom, and Wain's help. :) A proven Emmy winner who is a Bell who "honors" history with his father shining down from heaven? Wouldn't be an outsider taking over the reins. But it would cause all out civil war at TVCity between Brad and Billy. How delicious. :)

And before anyone can say anything else...really, can't get any worse than Maria. At least Brad keeps his arrogance and envy close to the vest. Maria lets it all hang out.

• Members

The problem is the Very Special episodes they submitted were awful. The one with Colleen on the acid trip of death was awful. And the one from the year before with Marge talking to the camera was just Hogan ripping off his funeral episode for Rose D'Angelo.

I can see it now - crazy Ryder kidnaps Lauren and Lauren then hits her head on a bookcase and falls into a coma, and we are treated to multiple scenes of her dear friend Kevin telling her to stay strong. She dies, as Michael weeps and then has sex with Phyllis to get over his grief. Meanwhile, Sarah laughs and tugs at her extensions as she looks over at a comatose doppleganger, and Patty begins rambling to her stuffed unicorn Colleen about how Shawn Garrett had a sister who looked just like Lauren...

• Members

Overall, Last years emmys were soo much better than this year!, The emmys sucked balls this year! and i was just sooo rubbed the wrong way, at how cold Trevor st John, and Michael Easton were presenting. Now i dont watch OLTL, but it just really rubbed me the wrong way. and WTF at Drew Garrett not winning. im sorry but i really think they kissed B&B, and ATWT asses this year.

• Members

The show was wayy too Vegas-centric. Yes, the awards are being held in Vegas, but c'mon!

The ATWT tribute had some amazing clips in it, but it was painfully short and underwhelming. The song choice was wonderful, the clips were great, but the length? Insulting!!!! The Vegas acts spent more time coming onto the stage than the time it took to show the ATWT tribute. For fans like me, that was salt in the deepening wound that CBS/TeleNext/PGP have already inflicted.

The Dick Clark tribute was way too long; and would've suited better as an entire primetime special.

And furthermore, I was shocked that there were no tributes to Helen Wagner and Frances Reid. Both were original cast members of their respective soaps, both held records in the Guiness Book, both portrayed characters that were loved and cherished for generations upon generations, and both passed away recently. It was downright wrong to skip on the chance to honor their memory and legacy.

Errol, did SON do backstage interviews? If so, when will they be posted?

• Members

Preach it, Rhonda is one fierce b*tch. She and Cynthia J. Popp are probably the reason for B&B's visual quality, both working themselves from production personnel to producers.

Don't know if this pic shows up (it's from B&B's facebook page - sign up if you're a fan, it's great! BTW) but it's Brad Bell with wife and kids and his awards...

28246_411866964100_7935724100_4271337_2649795_n.jpg

Archived