2010 Daytime Emmy Awards: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Webmaster

Hey All,

Errol here...still in Vegas waiting for my departure flight which doesn't take off until 11:58 PM PT or 2:58 AM ET. Heading back to New York to get some things in order, but I'm working on what I can here at the airport while I could. Thank god for free wireless internet. Can't beat that, right?

So I know that things didn't work out as we had planned with the live feed of the Red Carpet at the Daytime Emmy Awards. For those of you who complained about the quality of the feed, you had every right to. We will try to do better next time (which we hope there will be one) using different resources. Some of you may think we had done absolutely no test runs prior to going on the air yesterday, but that is anything but further from the truth. I'll admit there was an issue with audio on our end, however, the video feed itself was a live stream and there wasn't much we could have expected out of it especially due to the setting we were in, the usage of a third party technology provider, coupled with WiFi internet as our broadcast resource. In fact, we shared internet with numerous outlets that surrounded us, which wasn't supposed to be the case, but it is what it is. For the red carpet show itself, we had over 7,300 people viewing our feed through out the duration of the broadcast, which I am very thankful to each and everyone of you that joined us. We weren't expecting much for a tiny broadcast as we had, but you all helped exceed our expectations. However, with great success comes some failures. Our server crashed (specifically our message boards) and our video provider had cut us off at certain points due to reaching capacity or going over our alloted capacity for our broadcast. As a result, some of the interviews we were conducting in between broadcasting and our feed going off air (usually mere seconds at a time), we were unable to show you some awesome interviews we had done. Thankfully, we did some quick thinking and stuck a tape recorder in our hosts jacket pocket and I'll be able to better assess the damage once I get back in to New York.

With all that said, I'm happy to say that we were the ONLY publication/outlet broadcasting on the red carpet LIVE! CBS nor SOAPnet or even E! felt the awards show was worthy enough for a live red carpet pre-show. I'm proud of what we were able to accomplish in such a short period of time and I'd like to thank everyone from the Lippin Group who accommodated us with everything we needed as best they could. Without them, we wouldn't have been able to bring you closer to the red carpet than anyone else. I'd also like to say thank you to the ABC, CBS and NBC publicists who made sure their talent came to talk with us even for a brief moment. We were able to chat with stars from every show including Jamie Luner, Denise Vasi, Christina Bennett Lind from "All My Children," Ronn Moss and Jacqueline Wood from "The Bold and the Beautiful," Casey Deidrik, Molly Burnett, Mark Hapka, Lindsay Hartley, Arianne Zucker, Nadia Bjorlin, Dylan Patten, and Chandler Massey from "Days of our Lives," Joshua Jackson with wife Lisa Vultaggio and Sarah Brown from "General Hospital," Bree Williamson from "One Life to Live," Jeanne Cooper, Michelle Stafford, Christian LeBlanc, Eden Riegel, Elizabeth Hendrickson, John Driscoll, Wilson Bethel, and Michael Muhney from "The Young and the Restless" and so much more. In fact, after the CBS telecast of the Emmy's were over, we were able to stay online (LIVE!) and chat with the winners in every major soap related category including Drew Tyler Bell (Younger Actor), Julie Marie Berman (Younger Actress), Billy Miller (Supporting Actor), Julie Pinson (Supporting Actress), Maura West (Lead Actress), Michael Park (Lead Actor), "General Hospital" Directing Team and Bradley Bell (Writing and Drama series). For those who joined us after CBS went off the air, thank you for spending your day with us. We had a wonderful time and we hope you did too.

Errol

• Members

Oh, where to start... This "GH is sh*t!" is fascinating and tempting, but I'll pass.

Ann and her I loathe GH!, but I soooooooooooooooo watch it, I can't step away from it! Mmmmmmmmm, it offends me, but I'm GH all the way (factually, not verbally). laugh.giftongue.gif

• Members

RME. Let me help you out so you get it straight for the next time you are compelled to post about my comments since you are apparently fascinated by them. I don't watch GH, OLTL, Days, Y&R, or B&B. I currently watch bits of AMC and ATWT on SoapNet or YT when the mood strikes.

• Members

Basically, I'm glad GH lost (kind of; and only because of Jillers' ego), but I'm not happy B&B won. B&B looks like a retarded student that only now realizes how to win an Emmy. It's better not to say anything about what that makes the other soaps...

Then again, these awards are just pure hilarity and bitchery, it's like watching crazy people show or something, so none of these awards should be taken seriously. Emmys have been a farce for so long now.

• Members

Yeah. It's all spin, hype, PR and cheap tricks.

Too bad only GH realizes it in its full potential, it would be a bit more fun if the rest figured it out and tried to steal the Emmy from Jillers and GooGoo.

• Members

As I was listening to the SID podcast tonight, I do believe he said Vegas paid for those 2 hours, so I was right - it was a 2 hour Vegas Infomercial with a handful of gold-plated statues thrown around to give the illusion we were watching an Award Show.

• Members

The thing with GH is they have been submitting bloodletting episodes for over ten years. This is the type of stuff which has won them gold over and over, so I'm not surprised if the panel has moved on. In a few years, if B&B is still around, they will move on from that too.

• Members

I maybe in the minority, but I was pleased with the emmy's this year. There are two things I would have changed. First give ATWT a better send off, and Second, less of the Letterman/Regis crap. I think that Waybe Brady or Ellen should have hosted the awards!

• Webmaster

I agree, though I liked it better for separate reasons (I actually haven't gotten the chance to see the entire broadcast in its entirety due to what I was doing in Vegas for the show and site). The Emmy's felt like an awards show again and the Emmy's I remembered. Yes, there was a lot of Vegas in the show but why wouldn't there be? The show was broadcast in Vegas after all and it was the first time it was ever broadcast outside of Los Angeles or New York at that. If i didn't see Vegas related material, I would have been extremely shocked.

As for why I liked it better? For press related purposes, we had the best views on the red carpet due to being placed in between ET, Extra, E! and ET Canada. We even had better placement than ABC/SOAPnet. We got to do one-on-one interviews with all the winners backstage and we spoke with Agnes Nixon. Only E!, SOAPnet and some publication called Reality Cares got access like that. We got to mingle with the stars off the record (and sometimes on) and hear some wonderful stories you never get to hear because they are always on their A game (no, I'm not talking about negative stuff) as they get to be themselves when the tape isn't rolling (again, that isn't a bad thing). The food, which I don't think they've ever given to the press before was real food and not finger food. The setup backstage was very accommodating and well thought out by those in charge. Besides the overtly long American Bandstand tribute, which was great and all, I can only complain about the lack of good will towards As The World Turns which is still on the air (for now), unlike Bandstand. Yes, I know it was a tribute to Dick Clark, but lord was it long.

Archived