2010 Daytime Emmy Awards: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What f.ucking world is this when Drew Tyler Bell and Julie Pinson are Emmy winners? LOL!

Ugh at Billy Miller winning, I guess we can look forward to more teeth chewing, yelling, and half-assed performances.

I'm so glad Y&R didn't win Best Show or Best Writing. :)

Maria Arena Bell looked pissed and hard-faced when it was announced B&B won Best Show. :)

I'm very happy for MICHAEL PARK! Also happy for Maura West, who never phones it it. GH winning for Directing Team was very deserved as well.

Michael Park, hands down, gave the best speech of the night. He's so underrated, I'm so glad he won.

But the ceremony itself? What a joke! It was more of an advertisement for the trashy shows and attraction in Las Vegas than anything else. It was so cheaply produced, and I'm sure it'll probably be a big ratings flop.

• Members

The ceremony was shockingly bad. I am not a fan of Regis as a host but even I was surprised at how terrible he was. His "jokes" about Susan Lucci were cringeworthy and you could hear the audience gasp. Susan is already thin enough as it is. After that I skipped the rest of his lines but I heard some were offended by other comments he made.

So much of the damn ceremony had nothing to do with soaps. The worst part was when they had that endless tribute to Dick Clark, which seemed to be more like a long tribute to horrible plastic surgery. And the "singing" from the Jersey Boys and Tony Orlando, yikes. Then to make it even worse Cher was doing her Donatella Versace impression. Why why why?

The Emmy bait for Billy Miller worked, so we will see another pathetic Wonderful Life gimmick next year (probably for Muhney). The only highlight of his acceptance speech was how angry Jonathan Jackson looked. That camera seemed attached to him the whole night, and he looked angry/annoyed throughout. I wonder if he is realizing just how much daytime has gone to the toilet since his departure ten years ago.

Julie Berman must have sold the bottom half of her dress for a last minute needle to the forehead.

Vanessa Marcil could barely walk.

The ATWT tribute was pathetic and almost seemed like a long treatise on why the show was canceled in the first place.

The Agnes Nixon tribute was decent, mostly for the interviews with some of the older actors. Was she saying "I only have 30 seconds" when the applause was going on? Susan seemed to be trying to comfort her.

Thrilled with Michael Park and Maura West winning, and when they showed Scott Defrietas in the audience. If ATWT wouldn't bring Andy back, at least I got to see him one last time!

• Members

I haven't seen the ceremony but the list of winners could have been worse. Except for Julie Pinson and DTB, I'm satisfied. How was the Agnes Nixon's lifetime achievement award? Did they do something for ATWT?

Thanks Carl, you answered my post when I was posting it :)

• Members

The show started off strong with the Dick Clark stuff, but the same attention should have been given to the ATWT and Agnes Nixon tributes. I don't think anyone needs any persuasion on how sucky the ATWT thing was -- it was even shorter than the GL tribute last year -- but I also found the Agnes Nixon tribute lacking. There should have been a narrator talking through her entire life and career chronologically, and they should have at least mentioned Irna Phillips. They should have talked to people on non-ABC soaps too. Why was Cameron Mathison getting the most screen time in her tribute? They should have talked to other writers!

I wanted Crystal Chappell to win, but I was thrilled nonetheless at Michael Park and Maura West winning back to back after what seemed like a disappointing day for ATWT. Maura West has done that curtsy acceptance thing before somewhere. Michael Park's speech really brought home how big it was for ATWT to be ending. That was the real tribute to ATWT of the evening.

I was glad for the embarrassment to CBS of Lead Actor and Lead Actress both going to a show they cancelled. Vindication for the show!

I wish Park or Pinson had thanked David Kreizman instead of Chris Goutman and pathetic CBS. Their reels were from Brad's death story, so Kreizman was a big part of how they won this Emmy. Pinson did thank the writers in general, and Park was overcome with emotion, so I don't think it was a deliberate snub.

It was telling, on the other hand, that no one thanked Brian Cahill or TeleNext. I think the actors felt let down by P&G. Also, they didn't have to suck up to P&G like they did CBS in hopes of getting a job.

It was great to see Scott McKinsey paying respects to GL and ATWT when GH won its Directing Emmy.

• Members

Yep and it was AMAZING. Under 1 minute, awesomeness.

Oh and we also got a 10+ minute tribute to Dick Clark, the cirque de soleil and their freaky crab leaping across the stage handing Wayne Brady the Best Directing cards, a Vegas Hilton Hotel tour, A Lion King Performance, and an endless performance by The Blue Man Group. It was AMAZING. We even got to see David Copperfield do a magic trick at the beginning of the show. I was so glad we barely got to see anything about soaps. Just what I wanted.

• Members

Oh that was Scott McKinsey? I guess he must be emotional with this given his mother had most of her career in P&G soaps.

I agree with you that they shouldn't have just thanked Goutman. Certainly Pinson had every reason to thank him, as he has shoved "Juicy Janet" front and center for ages, but the strongest stuff Park has had in many years was with Brad's death story.

I also agree that Cameron Mathison shouldn't have had so much airtime but unfortunately he is seen as one of AMC's biggest names, and one of those who is most known by the public.

The tribute wasn't the best but at this point I am grateful for anything above crap.

FrenchFan, the tribute basically had Susan Lucci talking about her history with Agnes Nixon, then there were various interviews with Cameron Mathison, Debbi Morgan, Erika Slezak, Robin Strasser, Darnell Williams, among others. Some of the stuff shown was Bianca's coming out and Bianca/Reese getting married. Debbi talked about the Cindy AIDS storyline and how groundbreaking it was. They also had some brief snippets of other Agnes shows, like Loving, and they showed the logos for AMC, OLTL, The City, AW. They also mentioned that she had written at Search for Tomorrow, GL, and ATWT.

Then the crowd gave her an ovation and she spoke briefly, thanking the academy and the fans.

Oakdalian has the ATWT "tribute" up if anyone wants to see it. I don't think I can embed.

• Members

I would blame the writer of the awards ceremony for Regis's jokes, not Regis. They weren't that bad, I was more offended by David Letterman's stuff and Alex Trebek's weird comment about Regis's health. The Lucci comment was meant to say Lucci is too thin, I think, although it didn't come across well.

More thoughts:

There were way too many Vegas shows. The Lion King one was the most random and the Cirque du Soleil one was too long.

All the presenters were pretty good. The Massey brothers had great presence, but the "come to my suite" lines Kyle Massey was given were embarrassing. Vanessa Marcil seemed distracted. Other than that, good presenting.

What's "Cash Cab" and why does it keep winning all these awards?

Sorry, I know I shouldn't, but I was rooting against Wayne Brady and LMAD. I was glad they didn't win anything.

• Members

I skipped all the Trebek and Letterman stuff so I can't say. I thought it was pathetic that they had Rickles and Letterman on to talk about Regis. Regis is not some big fascinating personality. I also don't need to hear about him getting "lucky" with Joy, especially since I initially did a double take as I thought she was Kathleen Noone.

The tribute at least ended on Nancy and Chris, although that isn't much.

The only performance I liked was when Chubby Checker was onstage and a bunch of the people in the audience started doing the Twist. One of the few times during the night when people almost enjoyed themselves.

It's a show on Discovery or TLC which is about a man driving around in a cab, and if someone gets in and agrees to play along, they will win money if they answer enough questions correctly.

I agree with you about LMAD. The show is threadbare and he doesn't seem that interested anyway.

• Members

I cant beleive this board was down during the show. Im so used to live posting at Emmy time. Anyways, I fell asleep during the telecast several times. Not a good sign. I thought the show was bornig as hell. Thank god I taped it so I could FF to the relevant parts. They wasted way too much time in the beginning with non related soap stuff I knew Id hate Rgis as host and his act went on way too long. The guy likes to hear himself tallk. The Letterman bit was unneceasry as that other old guy he talked to

Bell got what he wanted with that Betty White episode. When the show won for best show, did you see Lesli Kay being the first to stand up. I wonder if she went up on stage with them

emmys1.jpg

Its funny how BTB won when he had like 2 weeks of story last year and then faded into the background. I was pulling for Drew Garret or Scott Clifton

Has Vanessa Marcil had work done to her face? It looked extra tight compared to when I last saw her

I liked that Kelly Monaco presented Julie's award to her. It was like a mini PC reunion

I liked that Billy Miller mentioned AMC in his win. Wasnt expecting that

Dick Clark looked super yellow, like that ugly set. Who picked the color to that? It didnt look good. Why did they waste so much time on him and American Bandstand. All that singing and dancing was a waste of time

emmys2.jpg

And why the hell were crabs dancing on my screen? Seriously WTF?

Julie Berman and Im glad she did. Im just so glad Crystal Khalil didnt

• Members

Wow, didn't watch because I'm not in the country but B&B winning is a big surprise. Not sure if it was worth it or not, haven't watched more than 3 episodes.

Billy Miller won? How horrible and disgusting. I guess now we'll get more of his crap.

And I hear comments everywhere that the AS THE WORLD TURNS tribute was horrid.

And from the comments here, it sounds just unspeakably bad. Wow. What a world, where not even daytime soaps celebrate daytime soaps.

Archived