2010 Daytime Emmy Awards: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Members

LOL@Mello's love for Cash Cab. :D

Who were the other people nominated for Game Show?

I found talk show and host and thank GOD Tyra was snubbed. I am rooting for Oz for Informative and Talk Show Host. :wub::wub: Me and all the 60 year old ladies that watch his show on a regular basis want him to win. Hell, anything but Dr. Phil and The Doctors(still can't get over seeing that Lisa/Ricki lake clip). Dr. Oz deserves that win.

OUTSTANDING TALK SHOW — ENTERTAINMENT

* “Rachael Ray” Syndicated

* “Live With Regis and Kelly” Syndicated

* “The Ellen DeGeneres Show” Syndicated

OUTSTANDING TALK SHOW – INFORMATIVE

* “Dr. Phil” Syndicated

* “The Doctors” Syndicated

* “The Dr. Oz Show” Syndicated

OUTSTANDING TALK SHOW HOST

* Rachael Ray – “Rachael Ray” Syndicated

* Bonnie Hunt – “The Bonnie Hunt Show” Syndicated

* Dr. Mehmet Oz – “The Dr. Oz Show” Syndicated

* Regis Philbin and Kelly Ripa – “Live With Regis and Kelly” Syndicated

* Whoopi Goldberg, Joy Behar, Elisabeth Hasselbeck, Sherri Shepherd, Barbara Walters – “The View” ABC

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Okay, wait a minute, lol.

As an actor, Lawson isn't half-bad. And yeah, part of me (I won't say which part, lol) wishes he were nominated, just for the off-chance that he accepts the award while shirtless, lol. But, come on, "raped of a nomination"? He's not that impressive.

• Members

So you agree daytime is automatically a joke because he didn't get nominated? :unsure:

He has the right to state his opinion, but the least of daytime's problems have to do with him and his over-hyped storyline being overlooked for Emmy attention.

As Khan mentioned, had he gotten nominated, that Tweet likely would have never happened.

• Members

I think daytime's a joke regardless of whether he got nominated. I'm just glad when someone who's experienced it says so.

And of course the tweet wouldn't have happened if he'd gotten nominated or if he hadn't been fired or if he hadn't spent his time on the show running a PR gauntlet of hype and hysteria but he did. IOW, if his time in soaps hadn't felt like such a joke he wouldn't have called it one. You're right that this one Emmy not)nom isn't daytime's big problem, but the ocean of crap and games that preceded it is. JMHO.

• Members

Let me put it another way. Van Hansis (Luke, ATWT) wasn't nominated for his character's coming-out storyline, but he was nominated for Luke's initial romance with Noah (I think, could be wrong). Two similar stories, yet one (Hansis) gets the nod while the others (Claywell, Scott Evans and Jake Silbermann) don't. Is daytime automatically a joke for such disparity? I don't think so. The Daytime Emmys might be a joke b/c of it - and who knows, maybe it's just a reflection of the fact that Hansis is a more engaging performer than the other three (or at least, knew how to pick a pre-nom reel). But if the validity of an entire genre of entertainment is dependent upon who gets nominated for awards and who doesn't, then you might as well say primetime television and movies are jokes as well, b/c folks have been complaining about the Primetime Emmys and Oscars for decades.

• Members

Yet, when he (Claywell) was initially let go from OLTL, none of that sentiment came across in any interviews he gave to the press. Perhaps, Claywell was just being diplomatic, but the impression I got was that, yes, he was sorry Kish's story had come to an unceremonious end, but he was more grateful that he and Scott Evans had the opportunity to tell the story and affect as many people emotionally as they did. Now, though, he's w/o a job, he's moving back to L.A. (per his tweets) and w/o so much as a recognition from the Academy for all his hard work, he's dismissing the industry as a joke. If the lack of an Emmy nod had no bearing on his assessment of the medium, then why wasn't he this derogatory about daytime before?

• Members

According to Tom Casiello on Twitter, he's not on the Emmy ballot for Y&R's Writing nomination. :lol: :lol: :lol:

An Emmy nomination really means that much to these people? Especially in this dying genre? :rolleyes:

There's a rule in the writing category that says a writer has to write a certain percent of episodes to be on the ballot, I guess he didn't have enough, though you can tell he really wanted it. :rolleyes:

• Members

I'm glad Doug Davidson is getting some recognition.... it's not often that that happens.

And YAY for Arianne Zucker--surprised she's not on as Lead Actress because, if anyone carried DAYS these past years, it was her (alongside Sami perhaps).... But still very happy for her and hope that she wins.

• Members

One more thing: as much as I loved Kish's story, saying it was "groundbreaking and powerful" is his opinion, not everyone's. Kish was not "groundbreaking," b/c ATWT had told the story already w/ Nuke; as "powerful" as it might have been to some, I think the story was hampered by weak acting, cringe-worthy dialogue and absolutely the campiest, most ill-conceived and -advised social issue storyline - the mayoral election / Million (Gay) Man (Wedding) March storyline - in OLTL's history.

• Members

Both things can be true, he could be grateful and proud of his work AND think daytime's a joke. There are actors working in soaps that I admire and I think they do good work, that doesn't change my opinion that the genre's a trainwreck on its last legs.

But honestly I don't know or care why he said it. I just glad he did. People get pissed when outsiders "disrespect" soaps. Well Claywell was in the suck for more than a year and his bruises are still fresh. He's earned the right to criticize it. Perhaps if more people in the industry had called it out the genre would be in better shape now.

Archived