Y&R: Episodes discussion, week of February7

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I love that 1988 opening, so many ridiculous poses. Jess is trying her best to be the diva, it's great. And Phillip looking...confused. Christine with all those awful prissy poses that make her look like she's going to be in a Kylie video of that era. Katherine as the regal, cold lady of the manor - NO DUMPSTER DIVING to be found. I notice that Nina directly follows Jill in several of these openings. That's a sign to the idiots with the show now to use them in proper stories! Who is that guy in the red shirt with the white collar?

• Members

Exactly. Rex placing that diamond around Katherine's neck was perfect as she was really a cold hearted queen. Plus you gotta love those openings! There was the Nikki opening, the Jill opening, and the Lauren opening. Nikki's featured the Newmans and Abbotts. Jill's was pretty much the above. Lauren's usually featured her and Scotty with the Williams and Barber/Winters clans with Nikki always having the final shot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbxeGCJEr2A

God watching these 30-second openings proves far, far far more interesting than anything airing on Y&R currently.

• Members

The Abby character offends me. She's just straight up stupid.

I don't understand it either. Jill has been rootable for decades...it really boggles my mind. I know those Neilsen surveys don't hurt Jess Walton, I honestly cannot figure out who would hate the Jill character that much...the LAME fans would like her because she's Cane's 'mommy', the ones with taste would love Jill simply because it's Jess Walton playing her and the 78 year old women in Wichita would like Jill because she's Jill and she's been there from the start.

If Jill goes, damn do I ever hope all of us go with her!

That's very well put Carl, it's a casual contempt, it's like at every turn they take a piss on Jill. UGH.

And yes, Stephen Nichols is a total dud. Katherine should just kill Tucker by giving him a ride from the aiport (drunk, obviously) and get this mess over with. Kay would survive such an accident, of course, she's Robo Kay!

Let's not even talk about Adam...

Oh to hell with it, let's talk Adam. He is the single most offensive character in daytime and the actor...[!@#$%^&*] is he ugly or what?! If a bald eagle had an affair with Phyllis Diller, we'd get Michael Muhney. Atrocious actor. Such a piece of scum!

And yes, Jess is a team player.

It's also insulting.

Is it wrong that I kinda hope Hogan has a heart attack, Scott Hamner gets abducted, Paul Rauch loses his voice and MAB gets lost in Laurel Canyon?

It is *the worst*...

You take one hack writer/wannabe socialite, two flunkie Co-HW and one mysoginist pig executive producer and BAM, instant waste of Jess Walton.

I am with you, the more sh*t that happens to Jill to humiliate her, the more I root for her.

As an aside, the image of Jill killing Murphy and then spitting on his grave made me cackle.

• Members

OK, question. I know TIIC are scum-of-the-earth, having totally destroyed our trust in the show and ruined so many characters in order to prop a select few. But watching Y&R the past few episodes, I had the same reaction you did -- I was 100% behind Jill, urging her to get back at Tucker, Kay, Caaaaaaaaaaaaane and everybody else. It was one thing after another yesterday, with everybody she loved abandoning her and then stopping to kick her while she was down. Does anybody think the writers WANT us to root for Jill, that they are breaking her down in order to perhaps build her back up?

I'm not sure one way or another, which is why I ask.

• Members

I don't think they want us to root for Jill, although I hope they do, but I think they want us to see her as a self-destructive loser who brings all this on herself. I think they just don't really have any idea of how to balance a storyline. Like all the time that some viewers assumed Adam must be the one we are supposed to root for in this story with Nick and Sharon, because Nick is such an ass. But sure enough, we have started getting the boring flashbacks to that $10 remote to Paris which started the last "whoring around for our dead daughter" sleazeathon, and the endless, "I saw Faith burp. She's baby Noah!" nonsense.

I think we are supposed to see Katherine as noble but easily addled by her messed up ex daughter, Cane as noble and true, a moral beacon, Tucker as hot stuff who can nail some silent bimbo 30-40 years his junior, so he's a real man.

• Members
Hell no. There's so much slant with the writing.

If they wanted to show a semblance of building Jill back up, she'd be the one trying to convince that p&ssy grandson of hers to chill the eff out or show him, despite his own problems with the never seen Griggs, comforting his grandmother.

But who got that scene instead? Granny Cooper talking to Chance like she's some sort of patron saint of Genoa City. It was so laughable and ridiculous to see this ex-drunk, former ice queen try to give someone advice on "the family who loves you." What does she know about family? She's spent years trying to kick people out of that house(except Phillip II, but of course, that was only to stick it to Jill).

Y&R is just fail on every level. I am sick to my stomach about what they are doing to these characters. It's almost as if they are doing this to intentionally piss off savvy viewers because they have such a solid offline fanbase that won't change the channel.

Archived