Y&R: Episode discussion, week of January 4

• Members

I rolled my eyes at that too, since when has Jack been a sports enthusiast?

But we're supposed to accept these rewrites, because the fans are always to blame when we see characters being written by the writers uncharacteristically with no respect paid to their histories. :rolleyes:

They seem to be writing this show to get jilted ABC and DAYS fans to like it, to the detriment of the longtime fans who liked Y&R for being Y&R.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Deeedee I see people are mad at Cane for trying to kick Malcolm out. We already know Malcolm is back to bring excitement to Lame boring asses. Niel & Devon couldn't do it anymore.

Specking if Malcolm is that really his beard to make him look older. I can't wait until he shave it off.

• Members

Of course Malcolm will be backburned after he serve his purpose. This time they won't give us a reason why Malcolm left. He'll just disappear. If CK wasn't on the show I would be willing to watch him.

She the one who hire her or was it Jack Smith. Becasue I also liked DSLily introducing popping out of that box.

• Members

There's something very hokey and pedestrian about the characters and the writing on Y&R, when it shouldn't be. Y&R is failing epically when it comes to class and sophistication, especially when the show revolves around mostly wealthy folks. Alden and Smith's Y&R had tons more class than this piece if sh!t.

This writing team writes established rich people like they're white trash that just came into money...

This show is missing a lot of its glamorous appeal...

• Members

Darius is doing a great job and more than holding his own. I love how NuMalcolm stood up to Neil and Cane. Who do they think they are trying to chase Malcolm away? Neil is such an egotist and Ashley is encouraging him. For the first time in forever, I was pleased with a Lily scene. She and Malcolm were sweet bonding.

Don't tell me that Billy is going to get involved with Victoria? At the rate he is going, there won't be any women in his age range left for him to have sex with in a couple months. He will doing Nikki by November sweeps. Billy Miller has a nice body.

Jack is talking about having more kids. Where are the two he already has?

How old is Reid? Shouldn't he be younger?

• Members

I seem doomed to be the contrarian...

For me, the Victoria-Billy union hits just the right note. I like how the actors are together, and the union makes some sense to me (similar families, similar boarding school experiences, similar recent bad choices and at loose ends). I find Heinle is as engaged as I have ever seen her in this role...and I'll admit that the 'charming screwup' works for me.

I also very much liked the departure from storytelling convention...the non-linear flashback structure (not even the flashbacks were in order). I felt for sure we were building toward Billy-Victoria sex...but I'm totally pleased and surprised that that is NOT how it went down.

All the sports-watching felt very much like the LML era to me...which is both good and bad. Remember the Baldwins and Newmans playing charades together? I LOVED that...that injection of natural, normal little moments into scenes. That is now I felt couples like Phick and Likey WOULD interact...rather than the serious and deep conversations that have more typically characterized this show.

So, the Winters and Jack-Emily watching a big football game basically worked for me. EXCEPT, unlike charades or building shelves (which worked...it felt vaguely in character, even though we'd never seen it before), this football felt too self-consciously cute and out of character...we'd never heard this discussed before. (Nick and Noah, on the other hand...it would have worked perfectly....or JT and Cane for that matter).

The insta-romance of Emily-Jack is off-putting though...and the actors can't rescue it. Seeing Patty with SCISSORS in the padded cell FURTHER degrades believability. This particular story seems so relentlessly on a death march to Patty-replacing-Emily that it's tiresome. The contrivance of it all. Valentine's Day wedding...February sweeps. Emily mentioned kids today (Jack is almost 60!!!!! She is in her 40s!!! Really????). Of course Patty will replace Emily, rape Jack again, and get pregnant. Sigh.

• Members

Billy runs through women every three months. He should be done with Victoria by May due to AH's pregnancy. He'll be done with Heather in July and Jana by October. This leaves Nikki, Nina, Emily, Gloria, Esther, Katherine and Phyllis as the only women he is not related to and has not boinked. Oh well, those are a lot of women left for TPTB to hook him up with in November sweeps.

Archived