Y&R: Episode discussion, week of January 4

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

At this point I don't think Smith or Alden were afraid to mix minorities into the cast. They were actually very good at it. I guess Bill Bell's hands were tied because I do think he truly wanted Mamie/John and Victoria/Neil. The network or fans must've really been going nuts for him to outright drop such major stories. I mean John and Mamie was in the works for ages.

Now MAB in particular I do believe is 100% racist. LML, no. But MAB's choices scream prejudice to me.

• Members

Latham at least wrote for the Winters consistently and her storyline and decisions weren't as stereotypical and downright disgusting like Maria Arena Bell and Company's Y&R. I mean Devon sleeping with the woman he thought was his aunt for most of his life? Give me a f.ucking break.

Maria and Company's portrayal of minorities, black, women and gays included, has been very outdated and downright ignorant.

And the debut of notMalcolm is not going to help the Winters any, I mean, LOOK at the state of that family and this inane Lily cancer story.

Latham tried, and I'll give her credit for that. MAB and company rarely try with minorities and when they do, it's all half-assed or offensively told.

• Members

Look at it this way...in the 70s DAYS had to tell their gay story in one episode due to censors and network interference. In 2009 MAB managed to tell a year long story in two episodes! Then the fallout with Neil was spread out over two or three weeks...in two more episodes. You can't convince me that this is all you could afford. It just so happens all the blacks are segregated and their stories are told in uber brief blocks of two episodes every other month? The minstrel show of Ana/Tyra speaks for itself. Tonya Lee Williams has 15 years on Y&R and gets no fanfare for her return? Nina, Traci, Phillip, etc. all at least got one story. She got nothing. That is racist and you can't convince me otherwise. Too many suspect things kept happening to the black characters.

• Members

Oh, let's be clear, this regime has been a disaster with every kind of diversity. They killed off JiMin (or was that still LML?), the "gay storylines" were a failure, and the decimation/marginalization of the Winters clan is clear.

ETA: And their hispanic "family" consisted of a domestic, and her gay nephew who basically faded away--and who seemed to care more about Adam than his aunt.

• Members

This Chance storyline is so uninteresting and the character is so dull and poorly developed, it's like a symbol of how horrible this current writing regime is and how poorly matched they are for this show.

If this person after Chance turn out to be one of those cattle rustlers that is after Cane and that Phillip III is protecting Cane from, I will scream.

Awful story, awfully boring character, and awful show.

Sigh, Y&R will never have any semblance of its former self, right? It's just really sad how this show manages to botch even simple soap opera elements...

• Members

Quit putting stuff like that out there! you know theyre' gonna steal THAT idea! I was so dissapointed with today's show I had to pull my two Jennifer Brooks breast cancer episodes form 1975 and watch them to remind what this show once was.

your'e tellin me.... why didn't he just hook up with somebod yin the adult classified section on craigslist, or he could have fondled Billy while passed out drunk.. he's drunk half the time, anyway.

• Members

You know it.

Cane should have gotten cancer instead of Lily, and he should have died as a result of it. Then CKLily should have left town to grieve or gotten a job in Paris or something, and then 6 months after that, they could recast with someone better and use the excuse "we wanted to take Lily in a new direction."

• Members

Racist? Or just laziness and an utter lack of imagination? Everytime Lily, Neil, Devon or anybody in the Winters sphere open their mouths, their dialogue seems so trite and empty. KSJ works so hard to make that stuff grounded, Nia Peeples did too, but CK is under the impression she's on 90210 and Bryton has absolutely [!@#$%^&*] all to work with. I don't think MAB thinks she's racist, she just can't comprehend (or be bothered to comprehend) that black characters are people first and foremost, that they have emotional cores, and that a personal, individual experience motivates each one of the Winters differently. They have an individual voice (and Lily once had a sharp tongue on her, too, Drucilla-style), they are bright and creative, it's a no-brainer for us to come up with stories for these people. If she can't wrap her brain around that, maybe she should hire an AA writer (or any decent writer actually) who can.

• Members

If they could strip this group down to Neil and Devon...WRITE for them (something meaningful, ideally something rooted in Devon's troubled past)...and then build around these two...I think all would be okay. I'm trying not to judge--but I am not connecting to nu-Malcolm at all. I don't think he's needed, and the one day we have seen is SUCH a departure from the previous Malcolm that I'm having horrible adjustment problems.

I think Malcolm should have been established in his own orbit, out of town...and we should have gotten to know him better. And then, once we had some reason to feel and care about him, then he could have returned to GC in this incarnation (to give Lily her bone marrow or whatever) and all would have been well.

Khalil IS NOT ACTING. Maybe she can act? But she's given up. The other day, with Malcolm alone, she was talking about how exhausted she was...but all I could perceive was that she wanted to finish taping so she could pop out and take an aerobics class followed by a diet Cherry Coke.

Archived