2010: The Directors and Writers Thread

• Members

The associate head writers, in general, help the head writer(s) plot the stories out for the entire week. The script editor oversees the scripts, who then passes them on to the head writer(s) for final editing/approval before sending the scripts off to production.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Karen Harris Facebook comment on completing her last GH script:

So she was let go due to the episode cutbacks? Or someone had to go and she volunteered to be the one?

Does this mean someone is leaving AMC (although not Rebecca Taylor, obviously) and OLTL as well?

• Members

They didn't fight the cutback decision per se, as much as they didn't grant ABC a waiver to override the particulars in their contract. ABC was going to cut back 20 episodes regardless, it's just that they wanted to get a waiver so they wouldn't get in heat with the WGA. The Guild said no, so ABC said they're firing writers from each show.

So it can be debated whether she chose to leave in protest, was fired or was a candidate for dismissal and took one for the team -- However she wants to spin it. Point is, somebody was going no matter what.

• Administrator

It wasn't Karen's decision to leave. As far as AMC or OLTL I haven't heard of any writers leaving, so that means 2 writers are getting "half contracts" - ABC only wants 4 full contracts (4 full timers or 3 full timers with 2 'part times'). Courtney Simon is one of them at OLTL and she's another heavily involved WGA member. I don't know yet who the other OLTL writer who's getting "halved" but if I had to guess it would be Melissa Salmons because she's also heavily involved with the WGA - it looks like ABC is going after them!

• Members

What about her mother? I love Kate Hall and Rebecca Taylor -- they're my two favorites as far as writing for JAnnie on AMC. Both have crafted the story very, very well -- with lots of intricate details, character development, etc. There's also a lot of humor in Taylor's scripts, as evidenced from yesterday's episode. Hope neither one of them leaves or is cut!

Archived