OLTL: Discussion for the week November 2

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It says a lot that two really homely kids spark this much discussion... or maybe it does when we introduce a Brooke Shields type like Danielle. That kid is seriously "attractive"

She's not much of an actress so far.

But she's white and thin and pretty, almost blonde even, and a marginally better actress than the one who plays Destiny so she's the next breakout star. Speaking of Starr, this Danielle is coming across like like the Manning legacy daughter that does not look like a potato head toy.

• Members

Doesn't matter. The point was that when Matthew had the chance to choose between Destiny and another girl, he chose the other girl (even though she had been nasty to him prior.) History shows that while Matthew see's Destiny a buddy, he doesn't consider her a potential love interest, or even a formal date. ;)

• Members

C'mon you guys. You know it. This is the Manning daughter to make us forget about the one who grew up in front of us, but we are too polite or stubborn to say bow wow, and not just that but GET AN ACTING COACH.

• Members

I think it's less about Starr, who must have been popular since they shoved her at viewers exhaustively from 2006/7 to a few months ago, and more about trying to rewrite history to where Tea, who is a very popular character now and doesn't have the baggage that weighed down many others this decade, is a much more central figure in Todd's life.

The new history basically says Todd loved Tea and had a great daughter with her. Then he had a few kids with that pathetic woman he used to be married to.

It saves the show time because they can skip over most of the awful stuff they wrote for Todd last year.

• Members

But it does.

No.

The point is that when Matthew needed someone DESTINY was there & Becca wasn't.

And it doesn't make any sense that Matthew would be so dedicated to a total stranger just like it doesn't make sense Blair still carries a torch for Todd.

But it doesn't.

Matthew DOES see Destiny as more than a "buddy".

"Buddies" don't try to kiss each other at weddings.

• Members

No, totally, and I've been thinking about Marcie a lot during this whole discussion, I just mean that an instant physical attraction and a "learned" love are two very different things, that's one thing Dani will always have over Destiny as far as Matthew is concerned. Even if Matthew and Destiny fall madly in love someday, I think most women would admit that it hurts a bit to know that her mate didn't desire her physically right off the bat. And as of right now, poor Des has front row seats sitting shiva for her *thisclose* relationship with Matt that never was and probably never will be.

• Members

Yet he still chose to go out with Becca over Destiny (in fact, when Destiny implored him to not go out with Becca, he got mad and made an insensitive remark about how she was just jealous and dateless.) Just like he chose to run away with Danielle instead of going back home with Destiny, even after she damn near pleaded. Seems to me that whenever Matthew is presented with a choice between Destiny and another girl (even if that other girl was nasty to him...or if he only just met her...or both...), he chooses the other girl first, and only comes back to Destiny when said other girl disappoints him. So between Matthew's virtually non existant romantic desire for Destiny, his penchant for opting to go with seemingly willing girls over her, and Danielle being - as you claim - propped because of who her parents are, I say that brings me full circle back to him being more likely to pick Todd's new daughter for a girlfriend over Destiny.

Oh, and Destiny being there whenever Matthew needs her seems to be more about her blind loyalty to him than it does any feelings he has for her. I mean, who else is Matthew really friends with? She's pretty much his only one.

• Administrator

Woah, such heated discussion. Well, I'm enjoying these Dani/Matthew scenes and I also like Matthew/Destiny, but I've only thought of Matthew/Destiny as friends.

Great ending today with Jared surprising Jessica - it looks like OLTL when on location.

• Members

And it also moves Todd into a very Viki-like position on the show, with FOUR kids to carry on his Lord-Manning dynasty. I'm not exactly doing cartwheels over wee Dani's acting as of right now, but I think having two sisters whose father is Todd Manning, and whose mothers are Blair Cramer and Tea Delgado respectively is actually quite genius, I mean there is some explosive potential right there. I hope that once the, "OMG, I have a SISTER! *squeals*" stuff wears off, Starr and Dani end up having an acrimonious relationship, just bringing out the worst in one another. We need more of that on soaps, people who just don't get along for no crazy reason, they just don't like each other. I'd rather see Blair and Tea come together like, "Whoa girls, that's your SISTER", instead of Starr and Dani teaming up and being all, "Gosh, I wish our moms got along" for the next G-d knows how many years.

Archived