Is Gary Tomlin responsible for the DAYS surge?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think that's what's missing for me, in terms of me seeing what everyone else sees in DAYS. I don't think DAYS needs to go overboard with the camp(i.e. recasting Celeste with Joyce Guy or something like that), but DAYS used to be such a fun, interesting show to watch that it still seems so out of place to see these scenes without anything fun happening. And Tomlin has his Ph.D. in Soap Opera Camp.

Frankly, I find the show boring as hell. But if this works for the fans, then go for it.

I've seen bits and pieces of it and I'm SO happy they at least did something with that drab hospital set. Also, is Melanie a nurse?! Really?! I like the young guy who plays Mia's baby daddy. He has alot of presence. I still think they need to recast Will. That guy is terrible. And come on- is Ari Zuker gaining weight or do the DAYS hair and wardrobe people really hate her?!

Guest dc cubs

I agree about the humor. Days needs more of it right now. Having Vivian back on the show could help with that but I don't want them to go overboard. Towards Vivian's last run on the show she was used mostly for comic relief and it demeaned the character.

Here's a quote from Louise Sorel in her TV Guide interview with Michael Logan.

TV Guide Interview with Louis Sorel

• Members

That Louise is a true gem. I admit I giggled remembering and visualizing Vivian dressed up as Elvis. Priceless.

And Carl- I don't think Melanie's brand of camp is unintentional. I think Burnett plays it exactly how Tomlin & the directors want her to. IMO, she's one of the most watchable parts of the show and definitely the show's only interesting ingenue.

• Members

I tuned back into Days a few days ago and it was the same non stop garbage-fest that it has been. There's no real feel of purpose or importance to what they're doing.

And firing Steve and Kayla was the worst move they could have done, because there was still a story to tell with Lawrence Alamain who, apparently, is now dead.

And this surge? It did 2.4's when Ed Scott had full control in that month of August. And the show was riveting then and had a sense of direction. Then that got cut short. It's sad he didn't get to do what he wanted, because they very well could be in the 2.5 range about now. Instead it's the same 2.0 to 2.2's they were doing at the beginning of last year with the NuJohn stuff. This whole "surge" crap is overblown.

• Members

I couldnt agree more.

There is a scene from months ago where Stephanie calls her a whore and Molly played it with zero camp, at all. It was pure raw emotion. The hurt, the pain, the shock, and knowing it was true. Fantastic scene.

Molly herself is very light and bubbly and bouncy tho, and a lot of that does come through in melanie, but she can play it without that.

• Members

Huge unpopular opinion here, but I think Molly Burnett is one of the big highlights of the series for me. I dont know if it's necessarily Tomlin that's steered the show back on track, but it's definitely the most focused and consistently watchable soap on air right now. I like that the characters that are coming back are back for a reason, rather than just moulding the storylines around X and Y coming back and islanding them in their own story. There's a nice mix of different age groups and I like that pretty much everyone has a story. Cutting John, Marlena, Patch and Kayla was such a smart move.

My only peeve is the production values, everything has this soft, pinky look to it that really irritates me. But then I suppose it's too much to ask that every show is as visually beautiful as Y&R...

Archived