Is Gary Tomlin responsible for the DAYS surge?

• Members

I have to say I loved what Ed Scott did at DAYS but he was never allowed a vision because it conflicted with Dena/Ken. Gary Tomlin came in last year from OLTL and managed to take DAYS produce it on a 40% less production scale, tightened the writing with Chris Whitesell as co-head writer and ratings are surging bigtime. Even sans a Drake/Deidre, is Gary responsible for the surge at DAYS? What is he doing right at DAYS to execute the show?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I wasn't a huge fan of his at OLTL but he seems like a good fit at DAYS. I think the show is very balanced, and while not perfect, it doesn't feel like there are any agendas in the storylines, the pacing is good, the characterization is generally logical and comes from where you would expect the characters to come from.

I do wonder what role Dena has.

• Members

Right now Days is the best soap on television in my opinion. As far as all the Dena hate, whatever she has done has worked. The show has been consistently good since she became head writer. Either she is writing good stuff or she has the good sense to let someone else do it and allow her to look good. You know, OLTL was better in the ratings and better relative to other soaps in the ratings when she was head writer. Hmmm boys, what is going on there?

• Members

What? OLTL under her had higherratings than other soaps? It did?

Anyway regardless of her talent at DAYS, or ratings at OLTL, it was the most unwatchable (and when it was watchable for a day offensive) soap I have ever sat through.

I agree that this is Tomlin's show. It also very much fits his plotting style (even his much hated, but IMHO not bad return to OLTL during the strike) and fits in with his period at OLTL with Whitesall. I wonder why they keep Dena?

• Members

From what I understand, GT was the show runner back in the day. I give him credit, because even though I don't like everything about it, it's seems like Days once again. It's simple, to the point and very easy to get into.

• Members

I'm not a regular viewer, but I watched last night. And I found it so engaging.

Some of the newbies are terrific. I really like the young actors playing Melanie and Chad. She's a spitfire, and he's got some layers (around this baby tale). I felt he held his own in scenes with Ari Zucker (who looks tired, but remains engaging).

In the show I saw yesterday, Sami and Stefano were in full bloom, and it was a terrific hate chemistry to watch.

Other times, I've seen a lot of Maggie, and she's just at the top of her game with energy and "get-a-grip" talk-to. This is such a vital matriarchal role on soaps that many shows now neglect.

I really think what they have done is distill down to some engaging performers across the age/vet range.

Though people here hate them, baby-switches can also be real ratings-drivers...and I think they have done that smartly. They have also JUDICIOUSLY brought in some of the more popular folks from Passions and GL that might bring ACTUAL fanbases to the show (as the numbers would seem to suggest).

It's just a lot of really smart, economy-minded decisions.

I don't have the time to make it my new soap or anything, but it also feels a lot more character-driven than anything on ABC right now...or am I wrong?

• Members

^^ No, you're not wrong, Mark. Even though Days is naturally more "outlandish" compared to, say, old-skool Y&R or Ryan's Hope, everything that is going on right now seems to fly because it is grounded by character. Not once this week, for example, have I ever felt that these people are acting out-of-character.

Plot is everythng on this show but it would mean nothing without every relationship/interaction feeling meaningful and full of past (and future) potential.

LOL, Days is saving NBC's ass right now, I gather. :::thrilled:::

Archived