Y&R episode discussion

• Members

How sacred is that now?! Y&R looks like SH********T compared to GH.

Spoilers, in a way, have always existed. Even in the commercial teasers from years ago. Spoilers don't make a difference one way or another in whether people will watch or not. At the end of the day, it's all about the stories.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Agreed, Y&R in HD has started to look very dull and cheap lately, especially those outdoor sets (which they used to do so good). The lighting has also gotten a bit brighter and trashier. The show doesn't have the style and cinematic-esque quality it did years ago. The music has also been all over the place.

GH REALLY stepped it up when the show went HD this year. The colours REALLY pop on GH, the lighting is cinematically beautiful, and they do these special-type stunt events and location shoots MUCH BETTER than Y&R does these days.

I challenge anyone to compare the picture quality and other aesthetic things between GH and Y&R on an HDTV. You'll see the difference.

WORD!

• Members

A big word to that. I tuned into a rerun of Y&R on SoapNet and the lighting was atrocious. It was the equivalent of the bright ass lighting they have over at DAYS.

I remember a poster saying that Rauch wouldn't dare try to turn Y&R production quality into what has made him famous in the soap biz (Bright lighting and etc.) but this just proves them wrong.

• Members

No. She was much, much better than this. And she still IS when she makes the fracking effort. She was a whole lot better in a Ghost Whisperer episode last season than she has been on Y&R in ages.

She just DOES NOT CARE. And it drives me nuts, but then, no one in that damn family but MTS cares. The phoning it in is just shocking, especially since Josh Morrow has tanked story after story this year and no one at that show seems to be doing anything about it.

• Members

I was referring to the general STYLE of production, not quality. LML did all these short scenes, and that stupid new background music. I AGREE that things are slipping, but I've also been attributing that to budget cuts, but maybe Rauch is to blame. I never said spoilers kept people from watching DIRECTLY, it keeps them from ENJOYING the show, it gets rid of the element of surprise, which in soaps... is crucial to it's appeal. The lack of enjoyment, IN TURN, causes people to tune out. It's one causing the other.

• Members

Is anything on Y&R that surprising now? We all knew about the baby switch months before the spoilers came out. What IS surprising is often surprising in a horrible way -- do you think viewers would have been more entertained about Deacon raping Amber if they hadn't known in advance?

Would you enjoy Colleen's death more if it wasn't told to you in spoilers? The execution has been shockingly bad. If anything, the spoilers helped the ratings, because peopled tuned in to see her die.

• Members

Yes, I would. It would haved carried a much bigger impact, why else is it called a SPOILER. If it didn't spoil anything, it would only be called a "preview". Fans just don't ahve the balls to admit theyr'e partially responsible (And I said PARTIALLY) for their own dissatisfaction.

• Members

Both Amelia and Joshua have had bette days ON THIS SHOW. To see how far they have fallen is mind boggling. I'm thinking the rushed production schedule means that the lazier actors are arriving unprepared as always, and just pulling it out of their butts. Only the actors who actually work on their dialogue at home, the night before, are giving us anything useful.

I'm the ultimate spoiler whore. I'm totally responsible for my own disappointment. I have no discipline in avoiding them.

But I really feel the shows are unwise revealing THIS much information. It clearly doesn't buy them viewers.

• Members

Well, why is Paul Rauch gushing about extra rehearsal time and blocking time with the actors to get things right? You'd think these actors would benefit from some of that rehearsal time, but a lot of them aren't. Remember, Latham took away rehearsal and now it's back, and many actors have only gotten worse.

Many could also be lost in the writing and not fully understand the motivations of their characters. As a viewer, I find the motivation for most of the characters on Y&R to either be very weak or nonexistent.

• Members

Because he's a dumbass. I'm sure he's bristly, and rubbing actors the wrong way, and it's affecting their performance.... and he's just glossing over everything so as to not make himself look bad. It's his way of placating the fans, but we ain't blind. Either that, or it's totally the actor's fault, which in the case of Erin, I believe.

• Members

I have a "bit" of discipline... but I succumb sometimes as well. And you realize it's causing you problems because have objectivity. You can see parts of the show that are bad, and some parts that are good. I'll never call you a fanboi just because you think the show is 60 percent crap instead of 100.

• Members

There you go with it all on the writing again. You may have a point with someone like Muhney, but we were speaking specifically about Heinle and Morrow on yesterday's show. They got ALL the motivation they need:

Heinle: Her father is DYING

Morrow: His father is DYING, his baby is DEAD.

And all he can muster is deer in the headlights and biting his lip? He did far better when Summer was in the hospital. Heinle just looks like she smoked about 4 joints before she came to work, unless morning sickness or something is REALLY getting her down. That's always possible.... but Heather Tom wouldv'e knocked this stuff out of the park, and we all know it.

• Members

Morrow and Heinle have been horrible all year long, long before this story. So, it has nothing specifically to do with yesterday's show. Nick is a lost character that has no motivation other than his penis, and Victoria is a personality-less dishrag. Only really skilled actors could sell those characters, and Morrow and Heinle have never been high caliber actors. Both could just be very lazy from not fully understanding the characters they've played this year, or they could be lazy for all sorts of other reasons.

That's the thing, neither actor is as method or good as someone like Heather Tom, who can most likely find her own justification and motivation for her character, even when the writing does not back her character up.

Archived