Guiding Light discussion thread

• Members

It was fun in a campy, dumb way...but it made no sense...(why all of a sudden is she after dullard Frank, and they could have at least given him some temptation to actually do it...) and yes, you, I, Julie and the rest of the world HATED Lucy...why the hell did JFP think the actress was so great???

• Replies 12.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

At the time I just told myself that she latched on to Frank because he was kind to her. I do think it was a thin story, as so much of that period was (even in that story itself, I never bought that Eleni would go into business with Alan-Michael after his scheming and betrayals). There was not much to pick from, sad to say. I remember when watching a particular nadir for me was Buzz having to live in a hovel or something and Nadine had to help him with a mobster and money schemes (I later learned the mobster was played by an actor JFP had worked with on Santa Barbara - I guess that sums up her storytelling choices).

Lucy was not the first example of JFP making her vision the dominant force above any storytelling logic (that would probably be Buzz), but she was the one that bugged me most, mainly because of the timing with Harley leaving, and also because they kept forcing her on Alan-Michael even though viewers never cared. I did start to like her more during the Brent story, but that really was her only strong story even though she was on the show for 3 and a half years.

• Members

Big Harley and Mallet fan but 1993 was rough. All she did was utter “my father” a thousand times and episode and look for him and then found him and everything was about Buzz from that point on. 

• Members

I'm stoked! 

My mom used to talk of the trials of Peggy...and how seeing Peggy and Roger  marriage fail made her realize that no one can change a man unless he wants to change.

GL used to have the long suffering nurse character ranging from Peggy to Katie to Lillian to Annie.  

Edited by Soaplovers

• Members

Leslie having a kid with Mike would have worked too as they were soulmates but Hope started to get more later

teenage stories. Not to mention in a way that would’ve made Leslie the 70’s version of Reva or Brooke Logan lol, something the stodgy P&G daytime world wasn’t quite ready for. 

There were other things too on that downhill slope. I know @DRW50 mentioned the Pauly Hardman story along with Buzz & Nadine’s Vegas wedding but there was also Josh & Tangie, Alan’s return with that Howie/Ross impersonator guy, Ed & Eve, Dusay Alex vs. Crampton Monday, and saying sayonara to Kat in favor of Gabriela? Yikes! The second Fifth Street fire was a ploy for ratings I think Douglas Anderson was HW by that point and the show was dragging. 

• Members

I never understood how Deas won those Emmys in the mid-90’s tbh except for the Academy always loving a previous winner. Likewise while I did always like Buzz & Jenna most of the stuff with Nadine wasn’t fun at all and it felt Nadine was settling for less than she had done in the past .