Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I posted this in the Emmy forum, but the 1994 Emmy telecast is also up. That was a big year for GL and OLTL - those two shows split the acting categories evenly, and GL won for Directing and OLTL won for Writing. The big surprise? AMC winning Best Show despite not winning any other main award - OLTL wasn't even nominated in that category, and GL lost out again.

This was also the year Michael Zaslow FINALLY won.

The legendary Bruce S. Barry accepted for Directing, it's presented 56:55 in:

Mulcahey was also part of Curlee's winning team. For some reason, I can't even spot him in that 1993 clip (maybe he didn't attend?). Curlee, Reilly, and Lorraine Broderick are very noticeable though.

21:57 in

• Members

Boy, Doug Marland deliberately didn't call out thanks to Potter and the camera caught Michael Tylo's eyes popping out because of the omission.  I tend to think Marland probably had good reasons to think poorly of Potter. Probably more than just firing Jane Elliot.  Patrick Mulcahey was cute!

• Members

Regarding Tony, the glimpses I've seen of him in Marland's run aren't all that likeable to me - he seems brutish and cold and excessively judgmental, similar to Holden, a character Marland created and wrote heavily for but who always alienated me. The Reardons in general aren't all that likeable to me for much of that period. I remember @saynotoursoap used to say, years ago, that it was Pam Long who made them feel more likeable and like a family.

• Members

There was never really a "Holden family". Ned was a Holden but he was a part of the Ruthledge family. The show was mainly about the Ruthledges and the Kranskys in the first ten years. 

Don't forget fooling around with his crippled friend's wife over in Bay City. 

• Members

I went from 1977 yesterday to watching an episode from 1983 today. Amazing how I went from only recognizing one actor in 1977 to recognizing several cast members and characters in the 1983 episode that were still on when I was watching in the 2000s. 

The episode was from December 19, 1983. Beth (played by Judi Evans at the time) runs off with Phillip after her abusive stepfather and mother show up at school with a police officer to take her to court. Seems like her stepdad got a job in Canada and intends to bring her with them. Phillip and/or Rick smash a window in the classroom and Phillip and Beth run off. We learned a bit about the abusive father situation through a flashback. Wow, Grant Aleksandr was cute...didn't realize that until now (imo of course). Reva is attempting to get money from Billy and Josh walks in at one point. Billy leaves after Josh tells him about his upset daughter who went to talk to Alan about what just happened at school - seems like she isn't feeling Beth much because she likes Phillip also. Pretty funny moment when Billy is consoling and scolding his daughter at the country club for talking to Alan, some woman (I wish I knew the character but I didn't catch a name) wants to intervene because Mindy is making a scene at the country club when an older man tells her not to that Billy should control his own daughter to which she replies something like I don't think Billy can control any of his women.

I tried to look for the next episode hoping it would be available but the closest was the December 23rd episode and Beth and Phillip have arrived in NYC. The recording was in bad condition so I didn't bother.

Does anyone know details about how this storyline is resolved? 

Also, when did Billy and Reva characters drop those heavy accents? I was taken aback for a little bit when I heard Reva open her mouth because I don't recall her having that accent in the 2000s episodes.

Edited by GLATWT88

• Members

I flagged this video to Patrick Mulcahey since the 1982 Emmys were a topic of discussion on the GL reunion the previous day. He was so gracious about it!

OMG. I can't thank you enough for finding this and sending it my way. I never thought to look for it myself because I never figured it could crossed the techno-border to the internet. A beautiful gesture. Grateful for your kindness.

All the credit goes to you @Forever8 for sharing the video and the person who uploaded on YT!

Edited by Aback

• Members

Hey everone,

i began to upload classic Guiding Light Episodes , starting with June 1982 episodes.
I have the following years of nearly complete consecutive episodes until 1992.

The only thing is, that those episodes are in German. But maybe its interesting for one of you. Im planning to upload everything i have until 1989.

Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoRPyxHABjpeVfO1c9vlJP9BRQ_IAmE7h

It will take time, so have fun with episodes around Nola, Quinton, Jackie, Ross and so on....

It also includes Jackie Marlers death.

The episodes are unlisted in my channel....but i will do open playlists for the german numbers.

Have fun guys!

Edited by rsclassicfanforever

• Members

Hi! Thank you!! And welcome. You know what, I've been wanting to pick up German for the longest time. And voice-actors tend to enunciate very well, obviously. Maybe this is the right time

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by Aback