Guiding Light discussion thread

• Members

@FAULKNER

Agree w/ your notes.  Here are a few of my own:

Interesting that Julia Barr and Cady McClain both won for their work w/ Canary but he didn't win.  I'm actually glad someone else won that year...he had already won 3 times by then.

Nice understated speech by A Martinez -- just perfect and a refreshing change from the melodrama so many actors bring to their acceptances (looking at you Cady...).

Baffled by the Henry Darrow win.  His clip seemed weak, he wasn't known as a soap actor...and he was competing against soap opera royalty -- Ver Dorn and Kristoff went on to win in later years, but Robert Gentry, Roscoe Born, Redeker and Kin Shriner (beloved in the industry) never won and all appeared on multiple soaps !  And why 7 nominees in this category when supporting actress only had 5 ?  The mens acting categories always had more nominees than the womens.

I loved Andy Kavovit, but his win reminds that the remarkable Scotty D never won.  If they couldn't find enough younger men to nominate this year, where was Scotty D ?  Certainly if Andy won an Emmy...then Scotty deserved a win at some point in his career.  But he went home w/ Maura so I guess that's his win ! 

The Joan Rivers acceptance speech is raw and an historic moment in TV.  You really feel Joan's pain.   

The pecking order of Conboy over JFP is interesting...when he gets on stage he makes a point to greet Nicholas Walker who he made a star on Capitol.  Didn't like Conboy's speech and he was dumped by TPTB the following year for not improving SB's ratings.  Proves ratings are more important than awards.  And why didn't the actors come on stage for Best Show back then ?!  

• Replies 12.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I saw that too (very weird clip for Darrow, but then again, SB could be weeeeeird). It feels like the Emmys had a run in the early ‘90s of rewarding true supporting actors and not category frauds (Darrow, Barrow, Thom Christopher, Gerald Anthony, up until Deas’s first win for GL - we all know he wasn’t supporting given how Buzz ate the show).

• Members

OMG!!!

The Shayne family and some of their friends will join me in The Locher Room on Wednesday, May 27th at 3PMEST. Tune in to see Reva (Kim Zimmer), Roxy (Kristi Ferrell), Rusty (Terrell Anthony), Mindy (Krista Tesreau) and Rick (Michael O'Leary).

Show more

Edited by Forever8

• Members

I saw on Twitter Alan is interested in getting Lenore Kasdorf too. 

That'll be good too. 

I still want one with Morgan Englund, Melissa Hayden, Nia Long, Jocelyn Seagrave and Monti Sharp. 

And Peter Simon, Ellen Parker and Rachel Miner too. 

Edited by Forever8

• Members

Kristi Ferrell isn’t hard to find. She’s been on and off FB over the years. I don’t know if GL ever asked her to return. I seem to recall she was dealing with family issues, possibly caring for her parents. I think she taught acting for soaps/TV.  And, I don’t mean to be cruel, but I don’t think she remained “television perfect.”  This is a medium that requires, with a few exceptions (Zimmer, Judi Evans at one time, Jordan Clarke), actors to be slim and beautiful.  Patrika Darbo on DAYS and Kathy Brier on OLTL challenged daytime norms. Their characters had hot husbands!  But nothing changed across the board. 

I’ll just be happy to see Kristi again!