Guiding Light discussion thread

• Members

Beverlee McKinsey not getting a Lead Actress nomination for GL is the most egregious error by the Daytime Emmys. She could've easily won in 1991, 1992, 1993 as the Lead Actress races in those years were rather weak. Maureen Garrett was nominated for Supporting Actress in 1991, 1992, 1994 but the competition for Supporting Actress in those years was tough.

• Replies 13k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Certainly 1991 and ‘92 Bev could have won. 1993 had Linda Dano (winner) and Ellen Dolan (off the rape story), who were both strong, but she could have had a shot any year. She was the best.

Those early ‘90s Supporting Actress races were stacked. Especially ‘94 with Maureen, Signy Coleman, Sharon Wyatt, and Susan Haskell (the winner).

• Members

The scenes after the main confrontation at the club, outside, are some of my favorites of Beverlee as Alex.

”Do you find daddy’s words comforting dear?”

”ooh I’m scared to death.  Heh heh.”

”I’m ravenous.”

She just brings so much with just her voice.  Then you add almost impeccable choices as an actress and it’s just so great.

The whole video is pretty great, but the outside portion starts around 25 minutes, with Blake and Frank.

I know everyone has seen this a million times...

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Honestly, as great as the country club scenes are, the scenes from the next episode between Roger and Alex are probably even better. She goes from scared to furious and then she levels the boom at Roger as she reveals her cards. Brilliant. 

• Members

I've always believed that McKinsey and Victoria Wyndham's nominations cancelled each other out on AW.  During that time McKinsey lost to two other AW actresses Laurie Heineman (Sharlene) and Irene Dailey (Liz).  Her never receiving a nomination for GL is ridiculous.  McKinsey should have won an Emmy for both AW and GL.

• Members

I hate to beat a dead horse, but compare these scenes to Marj's scenes at the CC at Mindy and Nick's engagement party.  The controlled venom of Bev to Marj's screeching at Roger. I wish they had just let Alex go to Europe and made a new character for Marj...its like recasting Bert Bauer or Reva..or as we would unfortunatley see, Roger.

Those scenes, who knew Frankie D could actually be sexy and not just boring. He needed a DIVA to bring it out, and I forgot that nice guy Frank who liked.shady ladies was much preferable to romantic hero Frank or boring married dad Frank. I think an honorable mention should go to Henry and the face he made when Alex mentions Rog trying to sneak into the exec dining room. Mindy and Mallet were hot, though I can see why they went the Nick route, they just let it ride too long and turn Righteous Vengeous Queen Alex to a pathetic shrew. I loved how they had Bridget in Ed and Mo's life and love the face Mo made to Bridget's bed comment.

God the show was great then!

Edited by Mitch

• Members

I remember at the end of 1990, there was a scene with Mindy and Mallet with Madonna's 'Justify My Love' (which was the #1 pop hit at that time) playing in the background. These soaps can't afford real pop music anymore, but the chemistry was hot in that scene. 

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Members

These scenes also make me angry that they never developed Maureen's relationship with Roger. There was so much rich material there. I'd forgotten how good Sherry Stringfield and Kimberley Simms were. Why did they get rid of Robert Calhoun? His stories were so layered and complicated minus the MAllet/mob stuff.

• Members

Ah, here it is, 34:28 in and then at the end of the clip as well:

I think Calhoun left on his own accord - probably tired of increasing corporate involvement. He never worked in daytime again.

Also, P&G had previously let him go at ATWT in favour of Laurence Caso (probably at CBS's instance as Caso was a former CBS executive). They obviously remembered him when GL was in trouble and needed a strong EP to whip it back to shape in '89 though. So seems he had been burnt before as well. 

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Members

Wow that's pretty epic. I can't picture a soap opera using mainstream music, especially a song like Justify My Love which had the whole video controversy for being too sexual being used on a daytime soap...that's amazing. I would love to see it. 

I thought the characters were actually going to get down with the music in the background. Still cool nonetheless.

• Members

Were the episodes surrounding Josh and Reva's wedding at Cross Creek the first set of episodes where Robert Calhoun was listed as EP,  or was he listed after?

I will say the change in the show is very noticeable in 1989 when you compare the first half to the second half. Calhoun definitely energized the production, and tightened much of Long's work (which was further helped by Curlee and Trent Jones being her Co-HWs)

• Members

Notes on that:

Loved Kim kissing each of the GL writers as they walked to the stage (although it freaks me out in this post-COVID world). Her acceptance speech was wonderful (“I love to chew the scenery”), and her clip was the best of that bunch. She did indeed come back one day.

Forgot that A Martinez won that year. What an eccentric show Santa Barbara was. I sort of agree with JFP that it would be a great show to bring back in some form, if only because offbeat works these days.

Holy sh!t. Fiona Hutchison’s outfit.

They showed Michelle Forbes as the background when Julia Barr won.

KSJ, Kin Shriner, and Stephen Schnetzer were GORGEOUS.

Cady McClain knows how to bring the melodrama in her Emmy speeches. Her speech when she won for ATWT years later made me uncomfortable. Edit: I watched her ATWT win, and she was actually very composed. She’s just a bit off-putting for me.

That little Andy Kavovit had swag. Sad for little Bryan Buffinton. Must be sad to lose when you’re one of two in your category.

Not a good year for Y&R. Terry Lester seemed so happy with the SB crew.

Edited by Faulkner